Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
All this rain around the area today and not a drop on any of my plots. Its like we have a bubble over us that the rain showers seem to just hit and go around. We went to Burlington yesterday to watch the races and they were rained out, ditches full of water and at home we got squat. Rained a little at my house this morning but like I said not a drop where I needed it. I look at the radar untill Im blue in the face and when I think its a sure bet we will get rain it changes or disipates.

All this rain around the area today and not a drop on any of my plots. Its like we have a bubble over us that the rain showers seem to just hit and go around. We went to Burlington yesterday to watch the races and they were rained out, ditches full of water and at home we got squat. Rained a little at my house this morning but like I said not a drop where I needed it. I look at the radar untill Im blue in the face and when I think its a sure bet we will get rain it changes or disipates.

Ha! I guess that makes two of us "watching the radar"...got barely a couple tenths here but darn glad for it!

Dbltree, I know you've been asked this a million times, but here it goes again. It's pretty late in the summer, and my clover is kind of coming out of summer dormancy. It's been pretty dry down this way, but we've gotten a few little rains lately. As far as I can tell, the clover is all at ground level, at its tallest, its only two inches tall. The weeds have shot up over it about 10-12 inches. If the clover is that short at this point anyway, could I go ahead and clip the weeds? Will it hurt the clover at all? I can't imagine the blades even touching it to be honest.

The weeds have shot up over it about 10-12 inches. If the clover is that short at this point anyway, could I go ahead and clip the weeds? Will it hurt the clover at all? I can't imagine the blades even touching it to be honest.

Go ahead and clip the weeds...had to do mine despite being so dry but as you mention...didn't even touch the clover itself...;)

Dbltree I've got 2 weekends I can plant my white clover/winter rye combo. A week from now 19th-21st or Sept 9th-11th. A week from now is more convient for me but I can manage the Sept dates. In your opinion which dates would you shoot for? I'm afraid next weekend is to early for the rye and the Sept to late for the clover.

Thanks for all your help,
Tommy Thompson

Dbltree I've got 2 weekends I can plant my white clover/winter rye combo. A week from now 19th-21st or Sept 9th-11th. A week from now is more convient for me but I can manage the Sept dates. In your opinion which dates would you shoot for? I'm afraid next weekend is to early for the rye and the Sept to late for the clover.

Thanks for all your help,
Tommy Thompson

It's so dry that I doubt you will get much germination anyway, so go ahead and plant the 21st and it should work out ok for you.

July 24th, 2011

Drought periods can dramatically affect clovers and when searing hot sun sends temps near 100 for weeks combined with lack of rainfall, white clover begins to take on a "rust" color in it's leaves.

7-18clover.jpg

This is often disconcerting to landowners concerned that their clover is dying but when rains and cooler temps return, so will the healthy color. In some cases in extremely droughty soils that lack organic matter the clover will appear to literally burn up and die but usually it just goes into a state of dormancy. This is a small area on an area of very poor subsoil clay that with plentiful rainfall can grow healthy clover...after nearly 4 weeks with out a drop of rain and blast furnace heat every day...it's going to "sleep" until things improve!

IMG_5524.jpg

This is the soil...about as poor clay as you can find

IMG_5525.jpg

Cracks big enough to slip your hand in!

IMG_5528.jpg

A few yards away however where the soil is better the clover looks much better

IMG_5526.jpg

and in slightly lower areas with more moisture both white and red clovers look great!

IMG_5527.jpg

I prefer drought resistant clovers such as Alice and Durana on areas with poor drought prone soils because they will survive while clovers marketed by WTI, Biologic and others literally wither and die.

Here's a link to more infor on drought and white clovers Sensitivity of net photosynthesis to soil drought in white clover

Studys on Adaptability of White Clower (Trifolium Repens L) to Drought Stress

Try to avoid mowing your clover during periods of extreme drought stress if you can avoid it.... ;)

One of my clover plots look like the one above that is burned up. Do you suggest possibly broadcasting some more clover into it this fall or maybe even winter rye to "green" it up a little?

One of my clover plots look like the one above that is burned up. Do you suggest possibly broadcasting some more clover into it this fall or maybe even winter rye to "green" it up a little?

You can....but it will probably rebound with cooler, wetter weather as we go into September. It usually goes dormant despite looking "dead" nothing wrong with overseeding both rye and clover in to it however. ;)

August 21st, 2011

Anyone needing clethodim might want to take advantage of free shipping this week at Rural King...if anyone knows of a better deal then this on clethodim...please post it up in this thread!

Rural King Clethodim

It's only a week long special so don't put it off...

I sow all of my clovers and alfalfa's with winter rye in late summer/early fall and we're ready to get started seeding this coming week. This is an example of using the areas around fields or plots and along timber edges to establish white clover...

Cloveredge.jpg

White clover is a crucial element in any habitat program where it can be grown...clover doesn't do well on sandy dry soils but otherwise will thrive across much of the nation. I rely on it to hold deer on my property year around and even a small strip can keep them happy! (ignore the clump of weeds... :oops: :D )

Deerinclover.jpg

Remember to sow your larger seeds first, cultipack (firm soil with ATV tires or some such if you lack a cultipacker) and then broadcast clover seeds and repeat the firming process to cover in the top 1/8" to 1/4" of soil. Failures are often a result of burying the tiny seeds to deep so use caution not to drag or disc clover seeds in... ;)

Paul - I have a couple of clover fields that are more weedy, although not necessarily grassy, than they should be. I mowed them this weekend which will knock the broadleaves back, but would it also be a good idea to spruce up the plot with some overseeded clover now or frost seed some more clover in March?

Paul - I have a couple of clover fields that are more weedy, although not necessarily grassy, than they should be. I mowed them this weekend which will knock the broadleaves back, but would it also be a good idea to spruce up the plot with some overseeded clover now or frost seed some more clover in March?

Dave-I have had the same problems in the past and seemed to just waste seed by adding more now. I usually mowed and sprayed now, then frost seeded that winter. Each time it came back thick and a great second year stand :)

I dont think you'll hurt anything, but likely wont help at this time but again-I am a rookie :D

Dave-I have had the same problems in the past and seemed to just waste seed by adding more now. I usually mowed and sprayed now, then frost seeded that winter. Each time it came back thick and a great second year stand :)

I dont think you'll hurt anything, but likely wont help at this time but again-I am a rookie :D

Thanks, that is about what I thought, but I also know that Paul has recommended establishing new clover stands in mid-to-late summer and I thought this might help.

Thanks, that is about what I thought, but I also know that Paul has recommended establishing new clover stands in mid-to-late summer and I thought this might help.

I do...but those are tilled/conventionally planted clover stands Dave, overseeding can work anytime of year IF all the conditions are right but often one might have the same results as Eyad.

I overseed red clover with pretty good results in the fall but not into established clover, so you'll probably have better results frost seeding in your case...especially with the current dry conditions...;)

My clover looks terrible. Burned up and lots of weeds. Scared to mow it due to stressing it more. Am I right to wait to mow until things cool down and we get some rain?

My clover looks terrible. Burned up and lots of weeds. Scared to mow it due to stressing it more. Am I right to wait to mow until things cool down and we get some rain?

Yes...I would wait or raise the mower up above the clover and clip the weeds off Fred.

How long will Clethodim last?

I assume you man in storage Tony? I'm guessing several years but I really don't know if it has a shelf life or not? I don't recall reading anything on the label and I have used mine from the same jug for two years now...;)

Here is Sweet Spot High Sugar ryegrass/clover/chicory mix one year after being established.

I can't say it is better or worse then any other clover mix but the high sugar ryegrass seems to be very attractive to deer and there are high quality clovers and chicory in the mix to boot. Sweet Spot is carried at many seed retailers such as Welter Seed so check with your local seed source... ;)

Dbltree - the owner of one of the properties I hunt just had a new pond built and We are looking for a perennial that will control erosion and feed deer at the same time. would Sweet Spot Northern mix be a viable option for planting on the dam and around the banks? Or should we go with some other rye/clover mix?

Dbltree - the owner of one of the properties I hunt just had a new pond built and We are looking for a perennial that will control erosion and feed deer at the same time. would Sweet Spot Northern mix be a viable option for planting on the dam and around the banks? Or should we go with some other rye/clover mix?

Just wanted to throw my .02 in here.

I planted Alice White by itself around my pond and it has
grown beautifully and the deer love it.

Throwing in rye never hurts especially for errosion purposes, it grows fast, will help hold dirt, and help hold down the weed pressure on the young clovers! That's what we've had luck with in the past. Seed it with in the next couple weeks I'd say

Top Bottom