Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Dogs

We have a dog problem on my grandpa's farm. The DNR officer said to first call the sheriff to see if he could resolve the problem. If that did not work and the dogs have no collar he said to shoot them as they are considered wild. If the dogs have collars, you cannot shoot them he said. We talked to the owner many times and she does not care that her dogs run wild through our farm all year long. She has at least tied them up if we call before the day we hunt. It helps a bit but if the dogs run wild for 11 months out of the year it does no good.

It's such a problem because the dogs are doing what they love, but at the same time the owners need a lesson. I don't envy these situations.

I know collar or not, if asked, the dog tried to bite probably will take car of the problem with any law enforcement. It's your word against theirs on your property......

Oh I get it but the OP said that it is continually happening...I can understand that a rogue dog takes off that's understandable but when it's happening time after time that's when it becomes trespassing and if it were me something would be getting done

It's such a problem because the dogs are doing what they love, but at the same time the owners need a lesson. I don't envy these situations.

I know collar or not, if asked, the dog tried to bite probably will take car of the problem with any law enforcement. It's your word against theirs on your property......

I hear yah. I could have shot them many times but I do not have the heart for it. They originally had two dogs and the farmer who runs cows on our place told them straight up if I find those dogs down on the farm running calves, I am going to shoot them. He ended up shooting them as they were harrassing calves a half mile away from home. What did they do, picked up three more dogs and back to the same thing.

Oh I get it but the OP said that it is continually happening...I can understand that a rogue dog takes off that's understandable but when it's happening time after time that's when it becomes trespassing and if it were me something would be getting done

I've had words with the owners a few times. I've called the law. Both with no results beneficial to me. I've taken actions that are legal and will not get me in trouble. So the next step is to start shooting. Yes alleviates that problem, but then my property(tractors,implements,fences) start getting messed with. I have never had an issue with any of this before and this could get very expensive. I don't know what else I can do that protects me.

Besides you feeling like you paid for it so it's yours and you don't want anyone to play on it, what is being hurt buy some good ole boys trying to kill some yotes. Most dog runners I know have enough respect not to run during deer season. This time of year I personally see no harm. I would NOT start shooting dogs. That is a road best not traveled I'm sure. To each his own though. Good luck

Take this instance. I used to run coon dogs, obtained permission from a local farmer to hunt his ground. He had a few 1000 acres to run on which was fantastic. Told me to make sure the dogs did not end up with his yearling heifer/steers. They are quite spooky when they are by themselves being fed up in pens. They were in a bard behind his house.

I turn the dogs loose on the river bottom, 1.5 miles from his house. They got on a big boar coon, hot track. Where do you think they ended up treed at?? 1.5 miles away in that guys barn. :D

Did my best to keep them from going there, never went back to his place to hunt after that night....

You guys do realize that if we legalize the use of dogs to track wounded deer that none of this would be an issue right?
:D
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Would be funny seeing people try to keep up with running dogs on a leash....that's what would be legal ;)

Besides you feeling like you paid for it so it's yours and you don't want anyone to play on it, what is being hurt buy some good ole boys trying to kill some yotes. Most dog runners I know have enough respect not to run during deer season. This time of year I personally see no harm. I would NOT start shooting dogs. That is a road best not traveled I'm sure. To each his own though. Good luck

I completely agree. The guys that run around us wait till after deer season and we're happy they're out there killing coyotes. Go ahead shoot some guys dog running across your ground. I hope they at least call an ambulance for you after they get done.

Most, takes just a few bad apples as in anything to taint the image of all in that category.

I've never had a problem with people coon hunting my place or having coyote dogs run thru. We still kill a lot of deer every year and have a lot of deer.

Something else that could be done is having a good trapper come in and solve the coyote #'s. Makes less reason for running dogs to be there in the first place???

I have been dealing with this for years. Iowa has a law that the dogs must be properly tag to be consider the owners property when on someone else's land. This includes rabies tags. Most of these guys give their own shots so they do not have the rabies tag. Technically if they are do not have a rabies they are not their property anymore and you can do what you want with the dog.

I am with Blakesburg....our group doesn't start running outside until the shotgun seasons are over. I don't till after I fill my tag late muzzleloader.

As far as shooting a tracking hound, I would suggest NOT doing it. You will NOT win at court.

We never used to have any problems at all, still don't with the farmers that have been around forever and appreciate how many coyotes will kill. It's all these "bone collectors" with 40 acres that think every deer in 5 square miles is theres.

As far as shooting a tracking hound, I would suggest NOT doing it. You will NOT win at court.

We never used to have any problems at all, still don't with the farmers that have been around forever and appreciate how many coyotes will kill. It's all these "bone collectors" with 40 acres that think every deer in 5 square miles is theres.

I would counter that you might win at court. There are no laws that specifically prohibit doing this. I think it would depend on your actions prior to pulling the trigger. Did you speak with the dog owners? Did you tell them in no uncertain terms their dogs aren't allowed on your property? Repeatedly? Did you speak with local LEOs? Post signs marking boundaries? If you've done all that, I don't see how a judge could find fault with pulling the trigger.

As far as the bone collectors being the problem, it sounds like coyote hunters running dogs are an issue as well or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I would counter that you might win at court. There are no laws that specifically prohibit doing this. I think it would depend on your actions prior to pulling the trigger. Did you speak with the dog owners? Did you tell them in no uncertain terms their dogs aren't allowed on your property? Repeatedly? Did you speak with local LEOs? Post signs marking boundaries? If you've done all that, I don't see how a judge could find fault with pulling the trigger.

As far as the bone collectors being the problem, it sounds like coyote hunters running dogs are an issue as well or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

People are a real problem, its not specifically coyote hunters. Some people don't respect others. Other people are not tolerant of anything but their own interests.

That works both ways. Bone collectors could care less if anyone ran coyote dogs or coon dogs anymore (less intrusion on their property). It does not align with their interests or payments they are making on their property to put more bone on the wall.

There are also coyote/coon hunters that have no regard for others properties, rut it up, drive over corn, cut fences, you name. Some go in, get their dog and get out and don't leave any sign but a trail cam pic....I like the latter :D

All we ask is for text message or a call and not to hunt during deer seasons. Seems simple enough but I got home on my day off to about 5 trucks parked around where the biggest deer of my life was bedded up during late muzzy season. Been after him a couple of years and finally had him pinned down, had him come out at last light the night before and had to sit in the tree and freeze until about 6:30 so I wouldn't spook him, I knew I'd have the perfect wind to finish the job the next night. And I wouldn't say my neighbors and I are guys who own 40 acres and are "bone collectors". Yes we want to shoot mature deer on the 1000+ acres of ground our families have owned for over 100 years. I understand that everyone needs somewhere to hunt, like I said all we ask is not during deer season and give us a text or call letting us know they are in there but I think Letemgrow nailed it. It comes down to people, people with no respect for other peoples interests, I get a long with all of our local coyote hunters for the most part but the bottom line is if it's our ground we should at least have priority hunting it. I think that is fair and talking face to face with them I think we have worked through our differences. The key to most of these situations is communication and being reasonable. If you start the conversation with, I'm going to start shooting dogs.... good luck with that cooperation. Most problems in every aspect of life are due to a lack of communication. I do feel for the out of state or new to the area guys, I've lived my entire life where I am now so I know most of the guys I'm dealing with I can tell when they are bluffing and vice versa.

People are a real problem,

You hit the nail on the head.
That statement pretty much sums up the real problem in every debate covering every topic we've ever discussed! Shotgun hunters, trail cam thieves, trespassers, poachers, republicans :)D), Non resident hunters, how many cats you should harvest each year....It really all boils down to people and how to deal them.

1st off I have zero intentions of shooting a dog. I have hounds myself. It is obviously not the dogs problem. Like I said in an earlier post, if they would ask it wouldn't be an issue most of the time. I have 800+- acres so I'm not a small landowner. Also I know the deer I am seeing are also showing up on neighboring farm. I share photos with my neighbors and am happy for them if they shoot one of our hit listers. Anymore most of my gratification comes from running cameras, putting in the plots, and taking my kids out. My personal hunting comes last, so when I do get out I expect to be able to hunt my ground without interference. It's just the fact that no respect is shown.

....It really all boils down to people and how to deal them.

And what interests/angles everyone is wanting for themselves. Who is willing to give an inch for someone else's interest that does not help them in one way or another???

That goes for politics, hunting and everything else in life. We had more bucks on the late season food plots (where the trappers were checking traps every morning at) than most other years combined. They check the traps in the morning (no good for late season anyways) and the deer are out there every afternoon. 20-30 a night on the plot. This allows for more predators taken off the farm, more people enjoying the outdoors and more deer for me :p

Obviously Im saying to pull the trigger as the very last straw...i surely dont believe in just shooting someone dogs...but for those of you that do not have a problem with it, its not your land....obviously the OP has an issue with this...and to be honest if it were me i would have an issue as well....its not about what they are doing its about how they are doing it...at this point i would be furious and have to take measures into my own hands...

Top Bottom