Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Did they pull another thread?

Don't worry I have land he can hunt. I've never seen so many selfish people. Non landowners outweigh LO and to get things done like he said it will take numbers......I have met many great LO and people in Iowa but some of you guys are ridiculous

Have you lost your mind too????

This guy is telling landowners to stand down to non landowners or else the non landowners will eliminate the herd and your ok with that statement?

And your telling me I'm ridiculous??????

Have you lost your mind too???? This guy is telling landowners to stand down to non landowners or else the non landowners will eliminate the herd and your ok with that statement? And your telling me I'm ridiculous??????

That's not what I'm saying??? I'm telling you that's what's going on. Who do you think is participating in this late season antlerless? Not recreational landowners. Who do you think is allowing people to hunt late antlerless season on their property? Not recreational landowners. It's the average joe weekend warrior and the local farmer that could care less about deer. Who's this effecting the most in the end? Recreational land owners.

Don't worry I have land he can hunt. I've never seen so many selfish people. Non landowners outweigh LO and to get things done like he said it will take numbers......I have met many great LO and people in Iowa but some of you guys are ridiculous

Thanks bkc but I would pry fall out of the treestand if a 190 walked by. :)

Don't you have a newborn? I'd be more than happy to help you and your family selectively manage the buck to doe ratio on your family farm! :grin:

I do have a new little one! I would have no problem with letting you give it a shot but you would have to convince my brothers! :)

Glad you have all the answers bkcrrtnps.

Good luck in getting your two buck limit for landowners and 1 buck for the rest of the residents.

This thread, among many lately has gotten to be quite amusing when reading from the outside with no dog in the fight.
I am not even sure what to think anymore about deer hunting in Iowa, I am truly not.

Shall I believe that party hunting is necessary for population management, or shall I believe that deer numbers in Iowa are really low right now? I can't believe both because why would you need to manage numbers at a low with hunting?

I'm not sure what to think about the whole tag issue. I think that has me so confused on what to think about the deer numbers because I have a really really hard time picturing numbers being down so bad when people can shoot 2, even 3 bucks and multiple does possibly. I guess that is because I live in a place where it is one and done on bucs and the majority of the province doesn't offer a second tag any kind. About 10 years ago when easy winters had allowed our numbers to rise so much a 2nd either sex tag was offered up for a few years. Those areas have not yet fully bounced back in comparison to the parts that only allowed 1 either sex deer to be killed.

At the end of the day, I could care less what Iowa does with the tag allotments etc. There definitely is a lot of spinning of wheels going on around this site lately, this thread is no different. People seem to be unwilling to listen to other points of view and are stuck in their way being the best way of thinking.

I don't know what is best, I sure don't. I know that I like being one and done on bucks, I personally believe it is good for the age structure. I also believe that you guys are quite likely going a bit overboard on some things around here lately. I think that simply because I don't believe numbers can be poor at all if people will fight tooth and nail to keep their three buck tags, or two for that matter and I don't believe numbers can be that terribly tragic if party hunting is defended because it is needed to manage deer numbers in a population. This leaves me confused.

Anyways, no dog in the fight here but I'm lost, are numbers bad or are they not?

I am not really that sure that you guys even truly know what low deer numbers are.

This thread, among many lately has gotten to be quite amusing when reading from the outside with no dog in the fight. I am not even sure what to think anymore about deer hunting in Iowa, I am truly not. Shall I believe that party hunting is necessary for population management, or shall I believe that deer numbers in Iowa are really low right now? I can't believe both because why would you need to manage numbers at a low with hunting? I'm not sure what to think about the whole tag issue. I think that has me so confused on what to think about the deer numbers because I have a really really hard time picturing numbers being down so bad when people can shoot 2, even 3 bucks and multiple does possibly. I guess that is because I live in a place where it is one and done on bucs and the majority of the province doesn't offer a second tag any kind. About 10 years ago when easy winters had allowed our numbers to rise so much a 2nd either sex tag was offered up for a few years. Those areas have not yet fully bounced back in comparison to the parts that only allowed 1 either sex deer to be killed. At the end of the day, I could care less what Iowa does with the tag allotments etc. There definitely is a lot of spinning of wheels going on around this site lately, this thread is no different. People seem to be unwilling to listen to other points of view and are stuck in their way being the best way of thinking. I don't know what is best, I sure don't. I know that I like being one and done on bucks, I personally believe it is good for the age structure. I also believe that you guys are quite likely going a bit overboard on some things around here lately. I think that simply because I don't believe numbers can be poor at all if people will fight tooth and nail to keep their three buck tags, or two for that matter and I don't believe numbers can be that terribly tragic if party hunting is defended because it is needed to manage deer numbers in a population. This leaves me confused. Anyways, no dog in the fight here but I'm lost, are numbers bad or are they not? I am not really that sure that you guys even truly know what low deer numbers are.
It's not confusing for us "outsiders." Like you said, no dog in the fight and we can look at it objectively. It's like watching a teenager driver down a snowy ice covered curvy road going 40mph in a rear wheel drive car. It's legal because the speed limit is 45mph. Everyone from the outside looking in knows its a bad idea, but that kid thinks it's perfectly fine. He's always done it. Nothing bad has happened to him yet. He's invincible...........

This thread, among many lately has gotten to be quite amusing when reading from the outside with no dog in the fight.
I am not even sure what to think anymore about deer hunting in Iowa, I am truly not.

Shall I believe that party hunting is necessary for population management, or shall I believe that deer numbers in Iowa are really low right now? I can't believe both because why would you need to manage numbers at a low with hunting?

I'm not sure what to think about the whole tag issue. I think that has me so confused on what to think about the deer numbers because I have a really really hard time picturing numbers being down so bad when people can shoot 2, even 3 bucks and multiple does possibly. I guess that is because I live in a place where it is one and done on bucs and the majority of the province doesn't offer a second tag any kind. About 10 years ago when easy winters had allowed our numbers to rise so much a 2nd either sex tag was offered up for a few years. Those areas have not yet fully bounced back in comparison to the parts that only allowed 1 either sex deer to be killed.

At the end of the day, I could care less what Iowa does with the tag allotments etc. There definitely is a lot of spinning of wheels going on around this site lately, this thread is no different. People seem to be unwilling to listen to other points of view and are stuck in their way being the best way of thinking.

I don't know what is best, I sure don't. I know that I like being one and done on bucks, I personally believe it is good for the age structure. I also believe that you guys are quite likely going a bit overboard on some things around here lately. I think that simply because I don't believe numbers can be poor at all if people will fight tooth and nail to keep their three buck tags, or two for that matter and I don't believe numbers can be that terribly tragic if party hunting is defended because it is needed to manage deer numbers in a population. This leaves me confused.

Anyways, no dog in the fight here but I'm lost, are numbers bad or are they not?

I am not really that sure that you guys even truly know what low deer numbers are.

SaskGuy,

Its confusing to me also. Obviously a few people are still seeing some good numbers, but most admit they aren't.

I think the guys that want to keep there 2 or 3 buck tags (depending on land owner status) are either hoping last year was a fluke and the deer were hiding in a hole somewhere. Just take a look at the BIG BUCK contest on Iowawhitetail's site.... It's extremely disappointing to me to see the huge dip in entries and quality slip that bad. Not that a couple guys didn't kill some nice bucks, but years past only a buck of a lifetime had a shot at winning.

I've been fortunate to hunt multiple states and hunt them when they peaked, then watch them fall to horrible buck to doe ratio's and see the population drop to 25% of the peak.

Iowa is heading down the road of drastic reduction in doe's and bucks. Maybe guys are happy with the huge reduction in deer numbers in areas? I can't imagine why unless you work for Farm Bureau or are a Farmer with lots of crop damage. But it seems the land owners are the one's wanting to lower the tags.....

I will be very curious to see if anything is changed.....

It's not confusing for us "outsiders." Like you said, no dog in the fight and we can look at it objectively. It's like watching a teenager driver down a snowy ice covered curvy road going 40mph in a rear wheel drive car. It's legal because the speed limit is 45mph. Everyone from the outside looking in knows its a bad idea, but that kid thinks it's perfectly fine. He's always done it. Nothing bad has happened to him yet. He's invincible...........

Well thank God you know what's going on! Do you have any suggestions for how we can best manage our deer heard? I mean, you see things objectively and with all of your experience in the insurance industry you surely know what acceptable numbers would be to both maximize hunting and prevent deer/auto collisions. If we can set it up, would you be willing to come and talk to our DNR officials and give them some advice too?

Well thank God you know what's going on! Do you have any suggestions for how we can best manage our deer heard? I mean, you see things objectively and with all of your experience in the insurance industry you surely know what acceptable numbers would be to both maximize hunting and prevent deer/auto collisions. If we can set it up, would you be willing to come and talk to our DNR officials and give them some advice too?

Has he ever been to Iowa? Not sure he knows how to get here beyond the internet.

These threads just never end. Responses are just re-worded saying the same thing, then people get upset and the personal attacks start. At that point, the thread goes downhill fast and any useful information is lost in the midst of name calling. Some people think numbers are good (in their area) and others believe that they are bad. Let's agree to disagree and start a new topic.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the reduction in an any sex tag if I could use my LOT (anysex) for all seasons. The only reason I get the third tag is to continue hunting for a mature buck during the shotgun seasons. I had 4 any sex tags last year as I also had a bonus any sex tag for an urban hunt. I only filled one of the 4 anysex tags.

I agree...I'm confused too and I live here. I honestly don't think things are going to get better. There are just too many different stances. Think about it....

We have party hunters
We have big buck hunters
We have brown and downs
We have rec land owners
We have public land hunters
We have the Governor
We have the DNR
We have NR's
We have NRLO's
We have big insurance
We have farmers

Too much going on to get things going in any direction.

This is why as a now Iowa resident and landowner I have my opinion the way I do. I lived in Ohio for many years and have hunted several states for years. Some Iowa resident landowners have taken the blinders off and realize the situation and that what's happening isn't going to work with the recent outbreaks of EHD.

Top Bottom