Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does anyone else cringe during this??

Last Sunday I went to hunt a farm that is one of the few that really does have enough does to justify shooting some. During late Mz in the cold it was common to see 200 deer a night while glassing. Had some friends with me and divided up among the shooting houses. Dropped off the first guy he had a long walk due to the melt and mud before I reached my spot he called and said someone had already hunted from the hut the night before the floor of the hut was covered in brass both 270 and 45pistol. From the hut he counted 13 gut piles and 6 other deer they didn't bother to pick up. I called the landowner and he said he had let some 5 buddy's go down there and said they had shot over 100 times he said they were just does so he didn't think we would mind. By the blood trails and dead deer we figured we figure they had hit at least 25 that weren't recovered. This farm is a lease so we can't say to much but it is the best example of why they need to stop this season. It attracts people who are only interested in live target practice if the season must stay go back shotguns or muzzleloaders.

Wow!!! I would be trying to find the names of landowners "buddies" and turn them into the county officer. Sad thing is rifle shotgun handgun it wouldn't matter they would kill for fun anyway guys like that shouldn't be able to get a tag

In my personal opinion from a straight management point of view, antlerless is an unneeded season. I am a bow hunter, just like most people on these forums. We all want that chance at the 180+ inch deer in bow range. That is obvious. Antlerless season is not the only poor management aspect this state has (shooting young bucks, party hunting, ETC).

In Warren County they sell 4200 tags a year for antlerless season. 3,427 were sold leaving 773 tags still available. EHD has hit hard in a few different spots in the county. One farm I have permission on produced absolutely nothing this year. 4200 is A LOT of doe tags. Killing does brings down the population, obviously. In the spots were the deer numbers are slim, antlerless hunters can come in and almost wipe out the deer on a farm. That is just a sickening idea, as a bow hunter. I'm sure some of you will agree, and some of you will shoot my idea down, but I feel as if the season needs to be eliminated until the population is healthy and striving like it once was.

Warren county would be 573 square miles or sections for your knowledge. I am honestly going to say HALF of this is mainly wide open or combined land or city/building areas as the minority of that half. Leaving approximately 286 square miles or sections to hunt. That's 14.6 does per section of hunting type land. Then, I'm going to GUESS the average SECTION (640 acres) in WARREN specifically averages 15 hunters a year (pry each land owner in a section averaging a couple bowhunters and a averaging a small group for each of the gun seasons). Keep in mind, most 640's are broke up in 80's, 160's, 200's, 40's, etc. Probably 8 land owners per block on AVERAGE I'd guess - or you could be saying about 2 hunters during any of the seasons per land owner- pry would average out about right I think - let's say 15 hunters per section through out all seasons. So, let's say 1/2 of the hunters are successful but in total shoot 10 deer as likely half are successful and a handful of those shoot multiple deer totaling 10 - that's 10 more deer....

We are at a kill of 24.6 deer per section in Warren county for example if the guys fill the late shed buck season quota left. THAT IS A LOT OF FRIGIN DEER!!!!! Not all those tags are filled but i'd say most are and we could make up the difference lately with EHD, poaching, predation, accidents of many kinds in the wild, wounding & natural death. So, your section and the 4 across the street in 4 directions take 125 deer per season with all your direct neighbors across street in only 4 places - WHOA, I dunno, I've seen some high pockets of deer but that sure is overly aggressive and why I see a lot more pockets of LOW deer #'s now vs high.

just some fun hypothetical math for you that even though is speculative & estimates, I honestly think is somewhat close to reality in my opinion. And it's not a good recipe if I'm even close.

Last edited:
When you have a guy like NWBuck that has hunted Iowa probably his whole life and has seen where the herd has gone, that has a mindset like this, shows you just how screwed we are.

I am afraid, like most Fed and state programs,seasons,,Once instituted, they never leave..I know,,this is the pessimist speaking.:confused:

I know a lot of guys disagree with the antlerless season. I am fortunate enough to have a breat family owned farm to hunt on. I mainly hunt it just during bow season. The family caretakker of the property has a group of guys who hunt the rifle antlerless season each year. I got there tally for there weekend kill fest and they shot 8 does and 2 shed bucks. I know its 100 percent leagal but man I cringe every year about this and have a good feeling that the 2 shed bucks were both hit list bucks for next year. I guess alls a guy can do is hope something new moves in and go from there. I really wish they would put a end to this season!!
Yes I do. Just talked to a friend who hunted the weekend and is going back this next. They each filled their 2 tags Saturday and went into town to buy a couple more tags. sadi the wait was about 30 minutes. They filled their other 2 tags and are getting more for this weekend. They don't keep the deer, it's all about being able to take long range shots at deer with a rifle.

Yes I do. Just talked to a friend who hunted the weekend and is going back this next. They each filled their 2 tags Saturday and went into town to buy a couple more tags. sadi the wait was about 30 minutes. They filled their other 2 tags and are getting more for this weekend. They don't keep the deer, it's all about being able to take long range shots at deer with a rifle.

Just a FWIW, but I have heard a couple of different guys this year say something to the effect that they think the rifle season may be cancelled in future years, so they are going to get some rifle shooting in this year while they still can.

It is observations like this that cause me to think we will not solve the deer population plunge problem simply with self restraint on behalf of the hunters. There are just simply way too many guys that don't "get it". They will keep shooting as long as there are tags, bullets and deer to be had. When they are gone, and ONLY when they are gone, will they then say, "What happened to all of the deer?" or the classic, "The DNR mismanagement caused all the deer to go away...".

In my personal opinion from a straight management point of view, antlerless is an unneeded season. I am a bow hunter, just like most people on these forums. We all want that chance at the 180+ inch deer in bow range. That is obvious. Antlerless season is not the only poor management aspect this state has (shooting young bucks, party hunting, ETC).

In Warren County they sell 4200 tags a year for antlerless season. 3,427 were sold leaving 773 tags still available. EHD has hit hard in a few different spots in the county. One farm I have permission on produced absolutely nothing this year. 4200 is A LOT of doe tags. Killing does brings down the population, obviously. In the spots were the deer numbers are slim, antlerless hunters can come in and almost wipe out the deer on a farm. That is just a sickening idea, as a bow hunter. I'm sure some of you will agree, and some of you will shoot my idea down, but I feel as if the season needs to be eliminated until the population is healthy and striving like it once was.

When I bought my farm in Warren County I was floored when I saw they issue 4200 doe tags. I thought it was a misprint.

Last Sunday I went to hunt a farm that is one of the few that really does have enough does to justify shooting some. During late Mz in the cold it was common to see 200 deer a night while glassing. Had some friends with me and divided up among the shooting houses. Dropped off the first guy he had a long walk due to the melt and mud before I reached my spot he called and said someone had already hunted from the hut the night before the floor of the hut was covered in brass both 270 and 45pistol. From the hut he counted 13 gut piles and 6 other deer they didn't bother to pick up. I called the landowner and he said he had let some 5 buddy's go down there and said they had shot over 100 times he said they were just does so he didn't think we would mind. By the blood trails and dead deer we figured we figure they had hit at least 25 that weren't recovered. This farm is a lease so we can't say to much but it is the best example of why they need to stop this season. It attracts people who are only interested in live target practice if the season must stay go back shotguns or muzzleloaders.

That's just crazy. I think a call to the CO would have been a good idea. Aren't we required to make an effort to find any wounded game? Sounds more like poaching than hunting to me.

No I do not rent the ground but it is in the lease he has no right to hunting or the timber and honestly he could care less about hunting it is the family member who takes care of the land and lives nearby who has a group of friends who stay with him and rifle hunt,other than that I am the only one who hunts the ground,usually during bow season. The family member could care less about hunting also so im kind of in a hard spot,just makes me sick to see bucks ive been watching for 4 plus years get slaughtered with a high power. I guess I can be thankful they only stick around for a weekend

Who is the legal landowner? If I'm understanding correctly, the farm is owned by your family and is leased to someone for farming purposes. The Lessee does not have hunting rights. And no one else in the family, including the family member living closest to the farm and oversees it, but you has any interest in hunting. In that case, I think I'd be having a long talk with the family member to set up a management plan going forward. I would think family ties would trump the desires of his/her friends. Just my opinion tho. I also am lucky to have family owned ground to hunt. Usually it's hunted by me, my brother, grandpa, and dad. No one is hunting the late antlerless season, but if someone in my family did want to, I probably wouldn't say much about it, assuming they weren't planning to annihilate the deer herd. But, if none of them had any interest and wanted to let others go, I would be voicing my opinion. Not that I have total control of who gets to hunt tho.

There are just simply way too many guys that don't "get it". They will keep shooting as long as there are tags, bullets and deer to be had. When they are gone, and ONLY when they are gone, will they then say, "What happened to all of the deer?" or the classic, "The DNR mismanagement caused all the deer to go away...".

I agree totally.
The sad thing is they will move on to the next game that has a
high population and success rate. These people really do not care about game management.
I remember when there were not very many geese and 1 was a trophy and land access was very easy. After the explosion of geese all my land access was taken away. Same with pheasants.
When there isn't instant success and gratification they will quit hunting or move on. IMHO

Im coming out of my skin just thinking about it.

Me to,even though I dont believe the taking of 10 deer off the property will hurt the population in the area drastically we need to think of it on a state wide basis and the damage it is doing as a whole to the deer herd in iowa.

It will be intersting to see how many antlerless deer were taken at the end of it, but the problem is I bet half of them.dont even get reported not counting the wounded ones people dont even bother looking for.

Hans,

What you said has to be the worse thing I have ever read on this web site if you are a human being. I dont care if your a resident a non resident or from the moon I am really sickened by that thought. I know it was not you but if I knew the exact detail hans I would be on the phone myself in about 60 seconds and get to the bottom of that.

Even in war you have rules of engagement and just cant kill everything that moves.

I hope DNR monitors this site and saw that but I dont think they have the money to buy computers or Internet access.

Now guys there is a lot of knocking of Non resident land owners here but I dont think any man that spent $$$$ and Big $$$$
would ever let that happen on his land. Thats a resident farmer trying to make it by leasing out some hunting which is 100 percent ok and someone else destroying something that took years to build.

I for one as a land owner feel a need to protect the wild life on my land. be it a coon a bobcat or a deer because if they are there you have the keys to their house in your hands......dont abuse it.

Last edited:
Yes it really was that bad unfortunately the landowners brother is the ring leader of this. If we call the CO we will never set foot on the farm again which is fine I guess. Also I have seen this before in other instances and reported it they will say they thought they missed and it got dark although they knew exactly what they were doing. The real shame is this is in a area that has very good management and genetics . I live in southern iowa and have been around this season since it first started. Many wouldn't believe the deer would keep coming out but they due this area has always surprised me in the amount of day light movement . The corn had been recently combined and it was the main food source.

Shed bucks aren't my main concern its the harvest of extra does. I hunt the season every year and I see it going away if the DNR gets it's way. I enjoy it as its a time I get to shoot my rifle + see some friends I wouldn't otherwise. I know guys get upset about a target buck being shot, but its a deer.

Also as an addendum to my post I also think the 'QDMA' stuff is a crock. Shooting more does doesn't bring about more bucks, just decreases your population as a whole. I've hunted for 20+ years and never seen an area that I felt had way too many deer. The commercialization of hunting has hurt our sport. Now being on primarily public land, guys think shooting a doe is helping out the rest of the herd. Guess what, we seem to have a deer population issue.

In the mean time I'm going to shoot a few does in SW IA this weekend.

Altiman, I'm with loneranger on your post. On one hand you slam QDM which is primarily bringing the doe /buck ratio to 2:1, but you're going to shoot a few does this weekend when the consensus on this site is we have a deer population crisis?? Huh?

Hans I would love to know where that farm is because thats gotta be a good place to hunt if your doing it the right way.

Way back about 2005 Time frame I was asked to come look at a farm In Davis county just west of 63 into zone 5. Its was for sale and I knew people that where hunting it. It was close to where some guy had some tame deer, and elk in a fence. It was the farm on the left side of the road where the road had washed out and it became a dead end.

Anyway the very first 10 minutes I was there I saw a 140 with a doe right where we parked. The people raved about the place due to what they saw in there. There was not a food plot one...just crp weeds and timber. well I could not get it closed as a bidding war started and I lost. I wonder if there are as many deer there now as there was then? The places I have been to since are no way as good as that place was back in 2005 time frame.
and it was that good with half the kids around there sneakin in the place.

Top Bottom