Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elevated Box Blinds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wernerjd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bukslayr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We buy telephone poles quite often at my company from the local utilities (Mid American). We buy the ones they replace. Contact them they will probably hook you up. Also try talking to an electrical contractor. </div></div>

There plenty of poles out there from Mid America. All the poles that they replaced in Northeast Iowa last spring due to ice. Also try down in Southcentral Iowa where they just recently had an Ice storm. </div></div>

That is how I got the ones I am going to be using! A local farmer had them give a bunch to him and he had them all piled up! I talked to him and he said I could have some! When I asked where he got them he told me they didn't want to haul them back after the ice storm. They asked if he wanted them and he said they could pile them up behind the shed, and they did!! He has given a lot away and I don't know how tall they are, but I know they have to be close if not longer than 20!! </div></div>

So what did he say when you told him you needed four more??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I will hopefully be up there this weekend and I will find out!! How the heck would you haul them? Where would they be going too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It should turn out real nice Jamie...

837txblind1.jpg

</div></div>

Not sure I like the green trim.........other than that I guess it would work in a pinch. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will hopefully be up there this weekend and I will find out!! How the heck would you haul them? Where would they be going too? </div></div>

I can haul them.

From way up there, to way down yonder. (S.E.)

Isn't there a bridge down by "Weiner Rock Crossing" that you could steal a couple posts from? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I've seen the Morton Building crew stagger treated 2x6's to make laminate posts over 20'. Don't know how much the cost diff would be though.

I called Alliant a few years back asking for poles. They kinda hemmed and hawwed around and asked what I wanted to use them for. Instead of saying an elevated blind, you never know, you may be talking to an anti, I said I was gonna build a play ground. They turned me down because the poles are too "splintery". I got the distinct impression if I would have said "to outline my parking area", Ida got 'em.

On another note, I have heard that used poles are considered hazardus waste and as such are subject to proper disposal. Thats probably why they left a nicely piled pile at Andy's friends place. They didn't wanna pay to dispose of hazardus waste.

The 'Bonker

We built an 8x8 box blind a couple of years ago using using telephone poles we got through a telephone company employee. I'm not sure how long they were, but I'd guess the floor is about 18' above the ground. The employee had a bunch piled up on his farm and let us buy four from him through a friend of a friend for a couple bottles of Korbel. Not sure whether they were really his or not, but we didn't ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Isn't there a bridge down by "Weiner Rock Crossing" that you could steal a couple posts from? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I've seen the Morton Building crew stagger treated 2x6's to make laminate posts over 20'. Don't know how much the cost diff would be though. </div></div>

"Weiner Rock Crossing" isn't going anywhere........not sure the good Lord himself could move them out of there without hurting himself. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Sounds like I've got a hook-up for some poles though, how do you think augering holes this time of year would work? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Isn't there a bridge down by "Weiner Rock Crossing" that you could steal a couple posts from? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I've seen the Morton Building crew stagger treated 2x6's to make laminate posts over 20'. Don't know how much the cost diff would be though. </div></div>

"Weiner Rock Crossing" isn't going anywhere........not sure the good Lord himself could move them out of there without hurting himself. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Sounds like I've got a hook-up for some poles though, how do you think augering holes this time of year would work? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I think dynamite or c4 would work to for the holes this time of year.

Find some guys in the field working for the phone company. I work for a waste hauler (here in Illinois) and we haul loads of them to the landfill all the time. The power company cuts them up in smaller pieces, the phone company cuts them up to fit in our dumpsters (20ft) and off to the landfill they go (they are expensive to bury). Nothing hazardous about them as of right now.

Find the right person and you will get them.

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if you had an "in" with a local company? Perhaps Seth could help you out?
</div></div>

Well I'll tell ya right now, 99% of our plant is direct buried. I had to string up a span of aerial the other week and that was the first aerial of ours I've ever seen and I used the power poles. If your contact falls through I can talk with some guys I know from Linn Co. REC next time I see them and try to score a few for ya. And if you can wait until this spring there is going to be TONS of poles the REC is replacing on my road- probably a 5-10 mile stretch they are replacing every pole I believe this spring. Let me know.

I spliced 16' 4x4s for this one. Floor is 21'. It worked but if I had to do it over again I would order the 6x6s or find some used poles. To much work to ever do over again. Thought I could throw it up in a couple weeks by myself, ended up being a couple months...

Make sure you glue and screw the floor to the joists. The glue will take care of any squeaks and a piece of carpet quiets things down nicely.

Good luck, they are great fun in the off season with binos and a cam as well!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/jhenkle/Stand-snow.jpg

Critter the Surgeon is onto something. I work for a REC in IL and we sell our used poles to members for $15 anylength at the office. The shortest ones are 30'. I would think a local REC would sell you some. If we can we give them away to the property owners.

I know you need to be about 48" down in the ground here in Iowa to get below the frost line and so forth, but is that depth sufficient if you had a box blind that would safely hold 2 or 3 people on top of those poles 16' to 20' above ground?

In other words, should you go deeper just to add stability against winds and storms, etc?

All this talk has got me thinking... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Great looking blind. How do you stay awake in that thing? I have a hard time in my climber when the sun is on me. No Doze?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you need to be about 48" down in the ground here in Iowa to get below the frost line and so forth, but is that depth sufficient if you had a box blind that would safely hold 2 or 3 people on top of those poles 16' to 20' above ground?

In other words, should you go deeper just to add stability against winds and storms, etc?

All this talk has got me thinking... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

The poles would probably break before they unearthed four foot of dirt. I think most guys probably set them in Quickcrete anyway just to make sure the poles are always set.

Top Bottom