Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Free tags for NR landowners

Stitch does not seem to realize that NR's have to draw for a tag and are lucky to get a bow tag every 3 years in some areas. It's not the "extra 200 for a tag" that is keeping people at bay. It is that they cannot get a tag every year period.

There is a lot of thing wrong with stitch's theory.First of all.You don't have to make money off your land to get a landowner tag.I have a friend that bought 20 acres in a lake project and he gets a landowner tag.
I also believe there is a line of people waiting to buy land.If the law passes non-residents will be buying land like crazy.
But how rich would you have to be to buy 100 acres at $3000 per acre and pay taxes on it just to get a free tag? You can draw a tage once every 3 or 4 years for $435 or something like that.

But how rich would you have to be to buy 100 acres at $3000 per acre and pay taxes on it just to get a free tag? You can draw a tage once every 3 or 4 years for $435 or something like that.

The NR's that would be buying land are going for mature bucks, they would not buy land for that price just to shoot more deer. Those antlers are worth a lot of dough. :D I would buy MO land instead if I was just wanting to shoot deer since we have a ton of deer and land is about half that price or more.

Just the land taxes are next to nothing. If you have a dwelling on it that is a different story.

As far as $3000.00 an acre, in Southern Iowa I know a couple of guys who just bought for around $1700.00 an acre with a house on it.

Prices are coming down and you do not have to be a rocket scientist to
figure out what it will do to Iowa and the resident hunter. IMHO.

non resident tags

This is from a non-residents point of view: You would see more buyers of Iowa land if they could get a tag every year. No question. Long lines, I am not sure. Illinois has over the counter tags and the prices are dropping in Illinois because of lack of demand.

I have owned two farms in Iowa, but sold them when the price climbed. Many non-residents buy for the investment/tax advantage/speculation, with the hunting being secondary. I never drew a tag to hunt my farms, simply purchased the land because they were underpriced. If I saw another farm selling cheap, I would probably buy again, and the guaranteed tag might help make that decision. The economy is tough, money is not around like it used to be. Refinancing homes (taking out equity) is very difficult, interest rates will rise in the near future, this could all have an effect on land prices.

(This bill won't pass anyway, why would they grant non-residents benefits, and not collect any extra money in the process?)

I agree Risto that land prices are coming down but if the law passes to allow non-resident land owner free tags it will sky rocket again.Most of the people that are looking to buy land don't want a house in it anyway.There is 92 acres near me that is great land for deer hunting but its not selling because it has a nice house and a bunch of other buildings on it that no one wants to pay the price for.Now if it was just the land it would have been sold 6 months ago.

a Captain Crunch decoder works well on some topics on this site dont know why but it just does
icon10.gif

I agree Risto that land prices are coming down but if the law passes to allow non-resident land owner free tags it will sky rocket again.Most of the people that are looking to buy land don't want a house in it anyway.There is 92 acres near me that is great land for deer hunting but its not selling because it has a nice house and a bunch of other buildings on it that no one wants to pay the price for.Now if it was just the land it would have been sold 6 months ago.

Exactly. The prices are starting to get back to a point where the average joe in Iowa might start looking to buy again. This will just put the prices back to unrealistic levels.

Just the land taxes are next to nothing. If you have a dwelling on it that is a different story.

As far as $3000.00 an acre, in Southern Iowa I know a couple of guys who just bought for around $1700.00 an acre with a house on it.

Prices are coming down and you do not have to be a rocket scientist to
figure out what it will do to Iowa and the resident hunter. IMHO.
Actually land taxes went up about 40% last year. It has me thinking about putting mine in the forest reserve.

(This bill won't pass anyway, why would they grant non-residents benefits, and not collect any extra money in the process?)

Don't under estimate the power of money my friend....the wealthy NR's behind this bill are putting up a large amount of money to get this passed.

The IDNR is NOT for this bill I'm sure...they want MORE NR permits so they can take advantage of the extra cash it would gernerate.

I doubt if many of you are aware that Dan Perez of Whitetail Properties and other silent investors are so certain that this bill will be passed that they have invested in thousands of acres in my area.

They fully expect to double or triple their investment should this bill become law and I certainly don't blame them for being ready to cash in.

This group of wealthy NR landowners has only one real agenda, to gain the same rights that we have as residents while not being required to live in Iowa.

I have my own land, should this bill pass I stand to gain greatly as no doubt the value of my farm would rise. That being said I will fight this just because their arrogance makes me sick and and I am personally offended by their tactics....:(

Anyone remember Billy Madison at the end when he got asked a question about big industry and his response revolved around "the Puppy that could" that post on iowasportsman reminded me of that. Unbelieavable!

Well put dbltree

This legislation needs to be taken very seriously. There is big money behind this, but remember one thing. They have the money and you have the VOTE. It doesn't hurt to remind your legislators this, in a polite, respectful way.

Does anyone know how many NR landowners actually exist. I know the figure of 20% percent has been thrown around, but I'm sure that's not all rec ground and the figure is probably lower. I'm sure the DNR has a good idea due to the NR landowner preference regarding doe tags. Anyone know?

I would assume the number to be much lower than 6K due to HF2312 suggesting NR landowners buying tags would dip into the overall NR allocation. I don't think they would ignore the non-landowning NR completely. I would think a few thousand NR tags would left over, or am I expecting too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom