Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

friends of iowa news article..here they come

teeroy

Life Member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Daily Iowegian – Centerville & Appanoose County newspaper –

Non-resident landowners seeking equal hunting rights as Iowa landowners
By Michael Schaffer - Managing Editor

January 13, 2009 10:31 am

— A group of non-resident, out-of-state landowners plan to offer an initiative to the legislature this year asking for the same hunting privileges resident Iowa landowners currently enjoy.
Mike Sorensen, a member of Friends of Iowa Landowners and Sportsmen, the organization that plans to offer the initiative, Saturday morning said equal hunting privileges would bring economic benefits to the state and would help to reduce the deer herd.
"The other opportunities we bring in is new cash flow into this state, tourist money," Sorensen said, which would benefit and has benefited communities in Appanoose County. "It's all new money that comes into this state that wouldn't be here otherwise. Small communities would benefit by allowing non-residents more opportunity to come to the state and participate in some of the recreational opportunities that they are denied right now."
Sorensen and others seeking equal hunting privileges met with Iowa Department of Natural Resources officer Ken Herring Friday night at a cabin near Honey Creek Resort State Park. Saturday morning they gathered at the lodge to recap the previous days agenda.
"Presently the deer management policy in Iowa restricts out-of-state landowners from hunting their property and maintaining their property like other landowners in the area are able to," Sorensen said. "We're drafting legislation that would address that issue for us."
Sorensen said they believe they are gathering support from key state and agricultural organizations.
"We've developed relationships with folks at the DNR," Sorensen said. "We've made contact with the legislature. We've sat down and discussed the issue with the farm bureau and some of the other organizations in Iowa. We'll keep our fingers crossed. We don't have commitments from them but I believe they have the same policy as what we're trying to do."
The issue of giving non-resident landowners the same hunting privileges began at least six years ago when Tom Bentley, Stuart Hagen and a third man took a fancy to the land in Appanoose County.
"And we saw some potential that nobody in Centerville ever saw, evidently," Hagen said. "We don't just come here to take a deer. We end up investing in the community."
Hagen, also a member of Friends and a part-time resident of Iowa, said he would like to see equality in the way either-sex deer and antlerless tags are given out.
"Basically a hunt your own land permit," Hagen said. "So, we're not asking to hunt everybody else's land or compete with the local Iowa people...or to compete with them on state land."
Hagen, who owns farms in Appanoose County and Wayne County, said the restrictions placed on non-resident landowners prevents them from participating in reducing the deer herd.
"So the deer population on some of these non-resident landowners farms is getting way out of hand. There's getting to be way, way to many deer and they have no way of controlling it," Hagen said. "Non-residents, they can own all of this land and they can have hundreds of deer on them, but they can only shoot one doe a year."
Hagen said he lives part of the time in Iowa and part of the time in Wisconsin.
"I became an Iowa resident strictly because I love it down here so much I want to hunt down here and the only way I can get a tag is to become an Iowa resident," Hagen said.
The Friends of Iowa Landowners and Sportsmen Web site is http://www.friendsofiowa.com. There the group lists four goals it is promoting besides the goal of equal hunting rights for non-resident Iowa landowners. </div></div>

if you would like to share your thoughts with ken herring at

[email protected]

hoofline.gif

Thanks for the heads up Troy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I sent Mr. Herring and email voicing my thoughts on FOI./forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

I may very well find myself on the IDNR hit list if I keep it up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I just don’t see why we pay these IDNR administrators the kind of salaries we do only to have them bend us over the picket fence all the time and expect us to smile and say thank you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

I absolutely LOVE this statement:

"We're drafting legislation that would address that issue for us."

How incredibly arrogant can you possibly get? They don't even live here and yet they're making our legislation for us. Absolutely classic.

The word that continues to surface here is "fair". And it's used in the sense that because they own propery and pay their share of taxes, they should be allowed a deer tag. Problem is that property taxes have nothing to do with the right to hunt deer in Iowa. In fact, as we all know, a grand total of zero dollars of property tax revenues are used to fund deer management. Clear case of an illegitimate argument.

So, I agree, let's visit this fairness thing, in fact it's time we did. All one has to do is accept that to truly be "fair" the cost of the NR landowner tag will be the difference in TOTAL economic dollars a resident of equal yearly income inputs in an entire year compared to what their NR property tax payment inputs. That includes every penny we spend in the State for any reason because it all supports the state and local economies. I'm no statistician but I'd say that tag should run waaaaaay up into the 10's of thousands of dollars. Nobody can ever say that I'm not a fair man because I am hereby stating my agreement that NR landowners should be allowed a tag using the TRUE equation of fairness to the utilization and support of our state and it's resources. Get them checkbooks out boys, just like we all do every single day as residents. I LOVE fairness!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

"So the deer population on some of these non-resident landowners farms is getting way out of hand. There's getting to be way, way to many deer and they have no way of controlling it," Hagen said. "Non-residents, they can own all of this land and they can have hundreds of deer on them, but they can only shoot one doe a year."

I'd be happy too help.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boonie Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"So the deer population on some of these non-resident landowners farms is getting way out of hand. There's getting to be way, way to many deer and they have no way of controlling it," Hagen said. "Non-residents, they can own all of this land and they can have hundreds of deer on them, but they can only shoot one doe a year."

</div></div>

Well I wonder why they do not run out of antlerless only tags every year then to help control the population?
They can get plenty of them if they want.Just need to bring a few more friends to help shoot a few more does. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Unfortunately, the only place I hear the negatives of the FOI movement is on this site. Even the IBA site does not have a page dedicated to the subject. FOI has the lawyers and $$$ but they are outnumbered by Iowa resident and non-resident hunters that would oppose their purpose... if they new it existed. It seems like the state and local Deer and turkey shows would be the ideal place to educate the iowa hunting public. Is there an organization that is doing this on our behalf?

If you go to Illinois and other similar states where the NR can hunt each year- the NR who own big chunks are still over-run with does. Nothing against NR's (I used to be one, I love the NR- don't love FOI- two totally different discussions) at all- I just know the solution is not what FOI is proposing. *I could go on and on about the true/correct solutions.

FOI's goals are purely for MONEY, their own self interests and changing Iowa's laws that they understood from the beginning when vast majority bought here.

Deep down I THINK these guys know their goals are shameful and deep down I think they know what they would turn this state into (a commercialized hunting nightmare purely based on money, etc & ruining the best state out there). I have to think they realize this tragedy BUT put their self-interests in front of the state that holds the best deer hunting in the country.

The thing that kills me about the article is the part about nobody else in Centervile saw the potential, well I garauntee they did but not at 2500/acre.

Wait till they can't make the payments and have to sell it for what a farmer can pasture it or grow crops for.

The 'Bonker

Does anyone know if Kenneth looks at some of the responses here regarding FOI?
An obvious suggestion, make sure you keep things posted here & on email respectful, to the point (bullet point issues/opinions), professional and persuasive with your beleifs. I think passion is great! Sometimes with passion people can say some things that are counterproductive if they aren't respectful/professional.

This is OBVIOUS and I haven't seen a problem BUT just a friendly reminder. This issue is huge though folks- this could be a fatal blow to much of what you love about Iowa (for residents and NR alike) if you don't speak up! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait till they can't make the payments and have to sell it for what a farmer can pasture it or grow crops for.</div></div>

I'm betting most of the FOI guys are not having problems making payments on their ground...assuming they owe anything on it all.

Well boys... It isn't looking good. Here is the response I recieved from Mr. Herring. It seems that he is ready to throw in the towel and give the rights to the NR landowners. Hopefully the DNR does not gain the ability to control the NR license quotas and all of these other regulations because according to MR. Herring most of our land is going to be owned by NR's within 10 years. Let me know what you think of his statements.... Sorry it is kinda long but I figured I would let you guys know where he stands.. Unbelieveable....

My email...I have removed some of the personal info..

Dear Mr. Herring,

I am writing in regards to your association and support of the Friends of Iowa . I have to disagree with your support of this organization and your belief that supporting them is whats best for Iowa . I firmly believe that you are doing a great disservice to the Iowans that pay your salary. I know that the issue of the NR hunters has nothing to do with controlling the deer population and everything to do with money. Even if we were to let these NR landowners hunt their own ground they would not be able to control the doe population on them any more than they do now. A landowner is only entitled to a handful of doe tags. If the NR landowners want to control their deer populations then why is there still NR doe tags left over each year?

Furthermore on the FOI website I am offended by their claim that they just want to come in here and help us control the deer population that the residents can't control. That is ridiculous. I hunt a 560 acre farm near ___, IA and my friends and I harvested 82 does off that farm this year. I think the residents can keep the population under control so that is an invalid argument for letting more NR's hunt here.

Thank you for your time.

Andy

His response...

Thanks for your thoughts Andy. I agree with most of your thoughts, which may surprise you. When I say the issue of a non resident license quota is not going away, or that NR landowners are raising the concerns of lawmakers, that is however a fact. There have been several bills introduced for the past several years which propose to allow NR Landowners the same privileges as resident landowners.

As more land changes ownership in Iowa, trends are showing that a very large percentage of forested lands will change ownership in the next 10 years (mostly due to ageing of our current landowners) an increasing number of non-residents will become Iowa landowners. Some of these Non Residents are former Iowa residents with family and friends who are very sympathetic about allowing them resident hunting privileges. After all they pay Iowa taxes, and many Iowans feel we have too many deer…there conclusion is what’s the problem??

They Department’s approach to this issue is to get the quota setting out of the hands of the legislature, and into the hands of the DNR. We set virtually every other aspect of deer hunting and season regulations…..so why not the n/r quota? We believe we have the experience, the tools and the willingness to listen to all sides of this divisive issue and find the best possible solution. In addition, the way we would go about changing this quota would involve all stakeholders, the Governor appointed Natural Resource Commissioners and the legislative rules review committee. A totally transparent and open process, that we utilize to gain input from all perspectives and to apply science to our decisions.

This issue has remained a hot topic for more than 7 years, and truly, it’s not going away. Please understand that the current 10 zone system is a holdover of the 1970’s where we divided the RESIDENT Hunters of our state, for the purpose of growing the deer herd. Using this kind of zone to disperse non-residents is not working, and has in fact allowed the concentration of non resident hunters within the 10 count zone system.

Thanks for taking time to write to me.

Ken Herring.

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ken Herring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They Department’s approach to this issue is to get the quota setting out of the hands of the legislature, and into the hands of the DNR. We set virtually every other aspect of deer hunting and season regulations…..so why not the n/r quota? We believe we have the experience, the tools and the willingness to listen to all sides of this divisive issue and find the best possible solution. In addition, the way we would go about changing this quota would involve all stakeholders, the Governor appointed Natural Resource Commissioners and the legislative rules review committee. A totally transparent and open process, that we utilize to gain input from all perspectives and to apply science to our decisions.</div></div>

I am getting to the point that I would rather see everything controlled by legislators. At least they listen to the voters. The DNR isn’t listening to resident hunters at all IMO.

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
[email protected]

Of course Mr. Herring would like to see the DNR take control of tag allocation and pricing.........I'd like to be in charge of setting my own annual pay raise, which is really what it all comes down to. They're no different than any other politician, which is really how I see them.

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iowaqdm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have Mr. Leopold's email handy. I think he needs to hear from us as well. </div></div>

<u>PMA members receive priority tech support! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</u>

[email protected]

We all need to be communicating with Mr. Leopold IMO. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
[email protected]

Top Bottom