Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Full Load

marco

Came from a friend in NE IA.
14 tags, 3 days, 1 square mile. These were all shot in Allamakee County
Iowa (Northeast Corner of Iowa).
2932Full_load-med.jpg

This is why the DNR should make you shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck. A lot of big groups hunt nothing but bucks and it hurts the population. :

They got some big ones. Looks like there might be some slim pickens for a few years to come.

Well, there's a pic that will get a ton of circulation on the net.

Cool, pic but I agree with Waukon, it'll be slim pick'n for a while.

i know im guna get alot of sh** for this but i dont get why you guys care about QDM....it sounds like all you guys are looking for are the next world record or a big buck... or keep the doe population down ..... but anydeer is a good deer to me. i dont need a big rack or a buck at all.. all i want is meat.. the way cattle prices are im going to stick to deer meat.........
confused.gif
just my 2 cents

It sounds like a hunting group had some success and had alot of fun, aint that what huntin's about..

Nothing like wiping out the area though.

iowabuckhunter, everyone grows as a hunter. a few years ago i was in your boat and thought that any buck was a great buck. as i grew as a deer hunter i found i wanted to push myself and try to harvest older deer. as i let the first two or three bucks walk i found that spending the time in the woods is what i craved and not just the harvesting of a deer. that first year i passed up the 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks i experienced my first real iowa rut. watching the big boys push does with no cares in the world was simply amazing. as i let those bucks walk i came to realize that if i kept taking the younger deer i wouldn't get a chance to see them as older deer "do their things" in the woods. i started to harvest does instead of smaller bucks and strived to take a little bit bigger deer each year. to me QDM is growing as a hunter and in turn the deer i'm hunting will benefit as well. i think that most the guys on this site are in the same boat as me. thye've taken a ton of 1.5-3.5 year old deer and are growing as hunters. they simply love being out there and want to see all the deer get the chance to grow up as well.

i dont' want to turn this thread into a QDM post but wanted you to know that not everyone is just obsessed with shooting a world record. they're obsessed with making the deer hunting quality as good as it can get in their area.

as far as the picture goes, lots of great bucks, though i can see that photo making the rounds and doing some damage to the hunting community. hopefully they covered them up for the ride home, not the best display job in the world.

I wouldn't be too excited about bowhunting there next year, but I'm sure there will be a lot of lonely does there in Nov. who will attract some attention...

Muddy, that was very well said.
smile.gif
TJ, the deer meat is important (or should be important) to every hunter, regaurdless of what deer they shoot. Even if they don't want the meat, as long as it ends up in someones kitchen, that is fine. The meat is a benefit of the hunting experience, or the hunting experience is a benefit of the meat, (they are both of equal importance to me,) whichever way you want to look at it.
smile.gif

i received the "kat seal of approval", wow!
smile.gif
thanks.

and just FYI teeroy, that guy who posted all that sentimental stuff was the same moron who hijacked my computer posting a few days ago and was polite to you.
shocked.gif

I actually think it is a cool picture in its own way with so many deer in one photo.

As for the QDM debate, I will have to agree with Muddy and Kat. I am mostly after the hunting experience but desire to get a certain amount of meat each year for the table. But, there is enough deer out there that if I use the "brown it's down" strategy, I am done very early in the season. And, who that hunts doesn't hope to get a big buck (even if you say brown it's down, you cannot tell me you would not shoot a big buck)? I went to the strategy of killing only mature whitetails (bucks AND does) several years ago and always have a great hunting experience and put meat on the table while being able to practice the easiest part of QDM. It's a win win situation.

Lots of nice deer.. Just think if they all would have lived one more year. The place would have been full of monsters. If you look at the picture I think this is QDM to a degree. Yes I know there's no DOES. Maybe they left them out of the picture. Also these all almost deer at are 3 yrs old or older. They will have plenty of deer this size again next year. Think about all the 2 yr old and small they probably passed up. If they have doe tags and filled them. I think this is QDM. Most hunters would love to shoot any one of those deer.

There are some great bucks in that picture.
Muddy's post hit a soft spot with me...I've noticed a lot of the same characteristics in myself that he described. I'd like to see a few more does in that pic...especially in place of those sawed off racks in the back. But the deer in the foreground all would have gone down if I'd seen them either with my bow or my shotgun.

That land will fill back up with deer in no time.

Well said Muddy.
I'm striving to reach that point in my bowhunting. Basically I'm not shooting a buck unless It's going on my wall. We'll harvest the does for meat - which I love !

I can see what iowabuckhunter is saying. Personally i try to fill my shotgun tag with a doe, but i don't think i would let a lot of those bucks walk by me with a gun in my hand. Now bow hunting is a different story. Some times i don't know why i let some of those bucks keep walking. I guess it's like Muddy said, and the more i let walk the better chance i have at shooting that once in a lifetime buck. Or i mean watching them outsmart me every year.
smirk.gif

but dont get me wrong QDM is a good thing. i already have 2 wall hangers. im not out to hunt the big game for a rack. im out for meat and the experience, and the memories i will have i the future when my father is no longer with me to celebrate the deer harvest. but yes they did kill alot of buck but that means the over run population areas and spread.i have tracked deer that have gone in 10-11 mile radius just traviling for new sancuary. so if they cleard out those bucks they could have gotten new genetice in there next yr.... but i dont know... mabey i havent been in the game long enough........ thanks for the nice reply muddy and kat......
grin.gif

Well put, I will bet that eighty percent of the racks will end up in a box in a corner of the basement. They would have been better of shooting a doe's. But I think that to many people have that mentality of shoot a buck no matter what, just to say that I shot a buck. Yes there are two or three bucks that are wall hangers, but could you imagine what they would of seen next year. Just my two cents.... Practice QDM.........

Top Bottom