Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got My Jan 5th 2013 Muzzy buck back

I don't think it looks to bad the ears look a little off to me. But other than that looks pretty good to me...

That doesn't really look like the same cap. The throat patch looks different but the chest must have had been rubbed off alot. Maybe he was a heavy breeder.

I actually had that happen to me. I shot a 164 and had it mounted and he put the wrong cap on it. I showed him picks of it and he admiited he screwed up and said he would change it but he had mine on another mount. I said forget it the wrong cap was actually nicer.

I know it is the same cape because it had alot of bare spots he fixed a large bare spot but wondering if the tanner messed it up somehow?

I know it is the same cape because it had alot of bare spots he fixed a large bare spot but wondering if the tanner messed it up somehow?

Heck of a buck, looks almost like a fake mount if that makes sense... Looks rushed and in-professional! Almost looks like a very old mount...

Awesome buck!! As far as the mount goes, the actual mount job is not bad. The eye shape, ear shape and placement, the brisket and hair paterns are all put in the correct places. It's just stait forward poses all look old and not life like. I do taxidermy and The problem I see with the mount is the tanning. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. The tanner didn't wash the cape before putting it in the pickle. So all the blood that was on the hair has now stained all the white hair a rusty color. My guess is it also wasn't properly fleshed before pickleing either. JMO If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the taxidermy? But once again, That is an AWESOME buck!!!

Last edited:
1. The shape of the eyes is way off.
2. The nose should be hollowed out a have a septum put in it.
3. The base of the ears doesn't look like they were filled.

I don't have a problem with the straight mount. I would like to c a side few of that mount tho.

That is a slob 8pt.

I'm not in to picking people's stuff apart but it seems the hide wasn't tanned correctly or something. Just seems off. We put a lot of time, money, and effort chasing these big bucks and when you get one wall worthy. You'd like to be able to have a good mount to look at for years to come. The longevity of your mount concerns me more than anything. A hide not tanned or fleshed properly will likely break down over time. If your spending $400-$500 dollars on a mount. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting top notch work.

This is some good work and you can see the difference.

Last edited:
I do taxidermy and can say some capes look like crap no matter what you do with then. Especially a late season cape which this appears to be. I'd recommend a remount with a good cape. Yes it will cost another 500 plus cape cost

Well I spoke to the taxidermist & he said he would do it for the cost of a cape & tanning.So I will probably go for it

The taxidermist said he would give me a nice cape & put it on a completely different form fot little or nothing.That makes it a much nicer experience knowing that they will work with you to make it right.He also said he didn't like the form himself but it was the only straight one he could find & it has a narrow face & nothing fit right & that he knew it just wasn't right.But I wanted it straight to put over the stairwell so I guess it was a bad choice on my part too.He said as far as the tanning goes he has several he just got back from the same tannery & mine was the only one that looked so rough.So he don't think it was the tanning but who knows.He said it could have been mange or tics or fleas or who knows what but it definately ruins the mount.I will post picks once he revamps it.He also said it is a world class 8 pointer & it deserves to look better.

Good deal glad he will make it right for you and give the deer the best look he deserves. Good luck great buck there.

Nice to see him own up to his work. Cant wait to see the new mount. I think just a new cape would make a world of difference.

The taxidermist said he would give me a nice cape & put it on a completely different form fot little or nothing.That makes it a much nicer experience knowing that they will work with you to make it right.He also said he didn't like the form himself but it was the only straight one he could find & it has a narrow face & nothing fit right & that he knew it just wasn't right.But I wanted it straight to put over the stairwell so I guess it was a bad choice on my part too.He said as far as the tanning goes he has several he just got back from the same tannery & mine was the only one that looked so rough.So he don't think it was the tanning but who knows.He said it could have been mange or tics or fleas or who knows what but it definately ruins the mount.I will post picks once he revamps it.He also said it is a world class 8 pointer & it deserves to look better.

:way: !!!!!!

I'm gonna call bs that this was the only straight form he could find. There are many supply companies that have straights in every possible size. This I know for a fact, he must not have looked too hard. And if it didn't fit right why didn't he alter the form so it did fit?

Top Bottom