Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HELP!!

ironwood

I have had a roping steer loose on one of my spots for a couple of months. The owner of the steer has had no luck corralling this wild 600 pounder. Today he called me and asked me to take him down with archery gear and said I could have the beef. Here is the problem. No locker can take dead beef. They like you to schedule and they need to walk in under their own power.

Does anybody have a good idea as to how to deal with this size of animal? Butchering is no problem for me but where do you hang and deal with this size of animal this time of year. I need a walk-in cooler someplace.

5477-27-07_098.jpg

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

busted.gif
busted.gif
busted.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif

Get a couple horses cowboy, GIDDY-UP!!

Seriously though, can you explain to the locker the situation? You do have photographic evidence of your wild buffalo.

This is one of the craziest stories that I've heard in awhile. I never realized a locker wouldn't take a dead steer.

Call Bonker to help you drag'em! If you're not worried about the butchering- will your loader lift high enough to get it skinned and quartered?

A wild cow that has been off grain for at least a couple of months? Won't taste too good. Not sure, but it looks like a plain old mature cow which adds to the mix. No prime steaks coming out of that one.

Its easy, just put a bucket of corn under a tree. Have Lackamarbles climb in the tree and perch out on the limb just above the bucket of corn. When the steer shows up to eat the corn, have Lacka jump on the steer’s back and ride it till the steer is broke. Then just put a halter on him, the steer not Lacka, and lead it to slaughter, again, the steer, not Lacka. Or, using the same scenario, have Lacka jump on the steer’s head and bull dog it, hog tie it then pick the steer up with your cute little Kubota and put it in the back of Lacka’s pickup and deliver the steer to the locker. Don’t use your truck cause that steer is gonna poop all over the place.

Other than that, I got nuthin. By the way, what are the eyes in the back ground?

The ‘Bonker

Field butcher him like an elk. Might need some help (tractor, horse, 4 wheeler) flipping him over to the other side though once you are done with the first 1/2.

Good Luck

Haha that is pretty funny. Good luck with it
grin.gif

And are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a buck in the background?

With these temps you will need to hot bone it and get it cooled down. You can either bone him out like an elk as mention above, or hoist him up with a loader and hang from a tree or otherwise. Then you can quarter the beast or get him into more managable portions. However you do it you will need to find some refrigerator space. You can age beef hanging in a cooler or bagged in a refrigerator. The key is to keep it at around 40 degrees for 2-3 weeks. Most commercial beef today is aged in the box. That roping steer will definately need some aging. At least he's a Longhorn and not a Corriente. Your other option is to grind it all.

How about a broadhead test on him? Post the results with pics.
grin.gif

I'd go with the elk style recovery. Quarter and pack him out. Then set the trail cam over the rest of him for some coyote and bobcat pics.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, can you explain to the locker the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a new regulation to eliminate the slaughter of downer and abulatory cattle as part of the whole mad cow thing.

The buck in the backround is for next year or the year after. Nothing to really talk about with deer this year, so far, but this guy should be fun for a while. I guess I need to haul lacka and the cute tractor out to this place.

Right horn, Left horn, Saddle Horn. Catch em and stretch em. I know of a few team ropers not too far from your area, could make em think they were out west catchin wild cattle.

Mike, See if there is an Amish butcher around your area. They will usually come to your place and butcher it for a reasonable fee.

Wow.. thats quite the oppourtunity!!

Im sure if u talk to a Locker and explain what ur scenario is... they might let u bring it in! Whats the difference between you bringin it in and them killin it over you just puttin it down with ur bow?

Good luck!!!

Seriously...catch the ol girl, get her on corn and pellets for a month, and trailer her to the locker.
grin.gif

Top Bottom