Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Helping our NR friends

Fantastic post. I haven't personally helped a NR but have helped some new faces in town by letting them hunt with me. It is a great feeling to see the look in their eyes when you say sit in my stand. I would also like to say this was a fun thread to read and all the nice things being said made my day. Thanks for the great post!!

Ringgold County

If your in the area I am thinking of, that is a hell of an area. Unless you have a substantal amount of ground, you probably won't hold all that many big bucks, but during the rut, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be plenty of shooters traveling through there.

This spring it was full of beaten down trails. Found some decent sheds, and I know the neighbor shot a 150+ inch last year. I am sure looking forward to sitting in a stand. It is 80 acres, but I will work on improving the habitat. It has some very nice features, however, it is a work in progress and it will be much better after I plant some food plots, trees and native grasses...Thanks for your response!

(I also saw quite a few turkey and a few pheasants and quail as well)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
This spring it was full of beaten down trails. Found some decent sheds, and I know the neighbor shot a 150+ inch last year. I am sure looking forward to sitting in a stand. It is 80 acres, but I will work on improving the habitat. It has some very nice features, however, it is a work in progress and it will be much better after I plant some food plots, trees and native grasses...Thanks for your response!

(I also saw quite a few turkey and a few pheasants and quail as well)
Sent you a PM

I've tried to help a few guys from the site with maps and directions and they have been very appreciative. I ran into a guy from Minnesota out bird hunting several years ago at a public spot I liked to hit. He wasn't having much luck and seemed like a good guy so I offered to have him come with me to my family farm since I hadn't been there yet. We had our limit in about an hour and he was thrilled! I totally agree, what goes around comes around.

There was a non-resident hunting in my area, posting on IW that he wasn't having much luck. I sent him a PM, then took him to a couple of my spots. He at least saw some deer finally, but didn't get a shot at anything he wanted.

As a NR I would like to say thanks to all that have gone out of there way to help others when hunting in unfamilar places, I don't think most know how much it helps. I have only hunt Iowa once for a week, and I did it alone, and although no one offered there land for me to hunt, I did receive a lot of help and good advice. A resident helped me drag a deer a long way and provided a place to hang and clean the deer. It made for a great experiance I might not have had other wise. With the drawing of a Zone 4 tag again this year I hope to repeat the experianc. thanks again and happy hunting, thats what is all about anyway.

I'll be starting to put in this year hopefully getting drawn before 4 years, but i think the system that IA has is great as well. Kentucky needs some kind of system the same. I'd be more than grateful if i get drawn is someone would offer to help me out with all the in's and out's about SE IA. If i do get drawn someone that helps me if they'd like i could help them out with a turkey hunt in Western Ky. I don't have many private places to deer hunt here in ky but hunt public land. so many people hunt here and shoot what they c makes it hard on us trphy hunters. I think it's great to lend a hand to someone new to the area

As another non resident who will be coming up there in 2011 I will have 3 points and plan on hunting zone 7, I too hope to have a pleasant experience. Please don't forget that we out-of-staters often are planning this "hunting vacation" for several years and truley do get pumped up about it. I've got permission to hunt a little patch of ground south of I-80 between Des Moines and Iowa City. I know absolutely nothing about this ground, but am still excited a year out. I plan on pursuing some public spots in the area if this ground doesn't pan out.

Down here in Arkansas, the group of guys I duck hunt with have "adopted" out of staters on several occasions, which has led to continued friendships. As others have mentioned, these people, are just like us as far as the passion and interest, they just live in another state, wishing they lived where you do during that particular season.

Us NR iowa wanna be deer hunters just have big deer iowa dreams that we hope will one day be fulfilled.

Kris

would any NRs on here be willing to trade a hunt I have always thought about that but never pursued it. I think if everything fell into place right it would be a blast I myself have made several out of state friends that have been hunting close to my farm and totaly agree that most of us enjoy going out of state and it is nice to make a contact

Wow great post!
I have had some great experiences and been able to hunt your great state because of this site! I've traded folks hunt for hunt and that has worked out great, some still need to make it up here thou and you know who you are lol!
Theres something about taking a mature deer on public land, not sure what it is. ANd my family has about 15,000 private acres yet I hunt public almost 90% of the time!

I drew a zone 5 bow tag for this fall and am looking forward to getting down there again, I love your state and never plan on hiring an outfitter of leaseing land. That just isn't my thing I guess.
If any of you ever want to trade for a whitetail, mule deer, antelope or pheasant/ grouse hunt I'm always game!

Top Bottom