Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HIGH POWER IN SO IOWA, SHOTGUN TURKEY WEEKEND

katy

Ballagh
I was talking to a well informed friend last night about certain issues. He informed me of the following topics that might get voted in on Thursday!

Little background first…

Iowa Natural Resource Commission
The Natural Resource Commission (NRC) consists of seven citizens who set policy, adopts administrative rules and hears appeals in contested cases related to fish, wildlife, conservation law enforcement, and park and forestry programs. The commission also approves or disapproves the acquisition or disposal of state lands and waters relating to state parks, recreational facilities and wildlife programs. NRC members are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate to staggered six-year terms.
The commission meets monthly, generally on the second Thursday of each month. The meetings are held throughout the state. A time is scheduled at each meeting for members of the public to address the commission about any topic related to natural resource management. The meeting agenda will be published about a week before the meeting. For further information about meetings you may contact Karyn Stone at 515/281-8650.

This committee has a lot of power; they are appointed by the governor, and confirmed by the senate. It is my understanding that they are the group that sets the seasons, and bag limits. But I think they had to have the help of the DNR to try and make these radical changes.

Here is what they are proposing: The sugar coated version:

ITEM 15 DECISION
TOPIC Final Rule – Chapter 106, Deer Hunting by Residents
The Commission is requested to approve a final rule to amend Chapter 106 – Deer Hunting by Residents. The amendments establish proposed antlerless-only deer license quotas for the 2005-06 deer seasons, clarify antler requirements to distinguish between antlered and antlerless deer, and establish new antlerless deer hunting opportunities.

Here is what you get when you read into it a bit:

Pursuant to the authority of Iowa Code subsection 455A.5 (6), the Natural Resource
Commission hereby amends Chapter 106, “Deer Hunting by Residents,” Iowa Administrative Code.
The amendments add a new antlerless-deer-only season in November (Shotgun); extends the January antlerless-deer-only season and allow center fire rifles during a portion of this season in southern Iowa; increases license quotas for antlerless deer licenses; close roadways from deer hunting north of U.S. Highway 30; clarifies penalties for providing false information when obtaining a deer license; and changes eligibility requirements and the number of free deer licenses for landowners and tenants to conform to changes made by the legislature. Notice of Intended Action was published in the Iowa Administrative Bulletin on March 30, 2005, as ARC 4087B. A public hearing was held on April 19, 2005. Comments on deer hunting were received at the public hearing. There were several changes from the Notice of Intended Action, including increased antlerless-only licenses, more free licenses for landowners and tenants, the new season in November, and allowing the use of center-fire rifles in southern Iowa. These changes were implemented because hunting statistics during the traditional deer seasons were showing that not enough deer were being taken in the southern part of the state and herds were continuing to grow. These amendments are intended to implement Iowa Code sections 481A.38, 481A.39, 481A.48 and 483A.7.

These amendments shall become effective August 10, 2005.

Yes – this means special shotgun season during bow season the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after Thanksgiving. That would be a great way to start 1st season shotgun off huh! And a late antlerless high power center fire rifle season in southern Iowa.

Here is the link to all the information. Be sure to read all the other too: Item #15

www.iowadnr.com/nrc/05jun09a.html

Meeting convenes at 8:30 a.m., Thursday, June 9, 2005 at the Storm Lake City Council Chambers, 620 Erie Street, Storm Lake, Iowa. Commission and staff will meet at the Sail Inn Motel, 1015 E. Lakeshore Dr., Storm Lake, Iowa at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 8 to commence a tour of the area.
Here is a list of all the Natural Resource Committee members and their numbers!

Remember – please be polite!

Garst, Elizabeth
1313 Fig Ave.
Coon Rapids, IA 50058
712-684-2862

Duncan, Randy - Secretary
4240 Foster Drive
Des Moines, IA 50312
515-279-5602

Francisco, Richard (Kim)
47753 – 127th Ave.
Lucas, Iowa 50151
641-766-6749

Kramer, Carol
1304 S. 4th Avenue W.
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-792-1617

Marcantonio, Janice – Chairperson
61 Lakewood Lane
Council Bluffs, Iowa 51501
712-366-2678

Schneider, Joan – Vice-Chairperson
P.O. Box 289
2813 Lake Shore Drive
Okoboji, Iowa 51355
UNLISTED

Moore, Lennis L.
803 North Lincoln St.
Mt. Pleasant, IA 52641
319-385-8238
Try this number during the week:
319-385-8937

Please remember to be polite when contacting these people. Remember to let them know that land access is the major problem right now. And how the bow hunters are doing our part with increased harvest each year. Give the HUSH program a chance, with lots of increased funding this year, we should see a lot more doe’s being harvested and turned in to the Food Bank of Iowa. Shot gunners, you really would'nt want a antlerless season one weekend before opening season would you? Don’t sit idle on this, now is the time to act!

Little more info I found out today!

Shotgun would be statewide, but only in the areas that have unfilled does tags after Nov 12th.

Rifles would be southern part of Iowa, but where are they going to hunt with all the land access problems down there?

You need to start getting ahold of people and letting them know your thoughts! Send emails, or make calls!

If Iowa is going to allow high powered rifles for a special season, they need to make sure that it doesn't coincide with any other season (including spring turkey). It would also be critical for all rifle hunters to wear hunter orange. The last thing in the world you want is a bunch of camouflaged turkey hunters out in the woods at the same time as a high-powered rifle season. That could be disasterous given some people's ability to distinguish what is and is not a deer.

Just some thoughts from someone who hunts in a high-powered rifle state.

Great thats all I need is sone jerk with a rifle. I have them in coyote season shooting enough deer now. I think thats a mistake. If anything I think the state should just open up the private ground and cover the distruction of personal property
smirk.gif

I really disagree with the rifles in southern Iowa. I live in southern Iowa right next to a lot of State ground and from my border fence line a rifle could easily hit 6 inhabated houses and a church with errant shots, not to mention the chance over the ridge mishaps. After the shooting in Wisconsin the articles talked about how popular the SKS semi autos were for deer hunting by certain groups. I don't need a group pushing deer with 15 shot semi auto 30 cal rifles a 1/4 mile from my house, and I didn't see any kind of restrictions so it could easily happen. Bad Deal!

"The amendments add a new antlerless-deer-only season in November (Shotgun); "

Yucky!!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

I'd disagree with centerfire rifles in Iowa as much as anyone else here but an early anterless gun season- right before the regular gun season would educate a lot of bucks. Survival rate for the first season shotgun bucks would likely increase with that education.

For those individuals that worked so hard contacting State Representatives and Legislators in opposition too the recently passed SF206 the proposed introduction of new hunting seasons and regulations comes as no surprise!

The State of Iowa as of now, is committed to drastically reducing the population of the whitetail deer. The target is to reduce the deer herd to the early 1980”s levels. They want to do it quickly and by whatever means possible. Introducing new seasons, extending existing seasons, and adding several other legal methods of harvest is part of the plan.

Some of you may support the states plan for herd reduction. You have a right to your beliefs as any of us do, and the momentum is on your side.

Some members may not support the new proposals and don’t like the perceived direction deer hunting is headed. If you are one of these individuals then you had better get involved NOW.

IMO getting involved starts with educating yourself about the issues and talking them over with other hunters. Then if you really want to broaden your horizons talk the issues over with non-hunters or those extreme individuals that want no deer in Iowa at all. Actively listen to their thoughts and then try to come to a medium point in your mind on the issues.

The next step is to research organizations that get involved politically with the hunting and wildlife issues that you have decided in your mind to support or try to get changed. I would urge everyone to make sure the organization you wish to join is politically active.

Please don’t just think that by joining an organization and sending in your dues is becoming politically active. Get involved in the organization, if you can attend meetings. The internet is an excellent tool for quick communication. Email these organization leaders, talk with them, share your thoughts and listen to their ideas. Let them know what you as a member are thinking.

Which brings up another topic……….then I will stop for now.

Iowa has many fine wildlife and hunting organizations: IBA, NWTF, ITA, QDMA, Pheasants Forever, DU, too name just a few. Each one of these organizations has their own agenda, and rightfully so, because that is why the organization was started. But IMO we need to encourage the leaders of the organizations in which we belong, to start talking with other organization leaders and coming together on some common ground related to all the issues re: the impact on wildlife and hunting in Iowa for the future. “United We Stand, Divided WE Fall”

The one thing that I heard this year over and over when communicating with State Representatives and Senators was this: “We are not hearing much in the way of opposition from any of the organized hunting groups.”

Iowa hunters have historically been very passive when it comes to sharing their thoughts with law makers. One can only hope that this trend will reverse…………………………………

[ QUOTE ]
Iowa has many fine wildlife and hunting organizations: IBA, NWTF, ITA, QDMA, Pheasants Forever, DU, too name just a few. Each one of these organizations has their own agenda, and rightfully so, because that is why the organization was started. But IMO we need to encourage the leaders of the organizations in which we belong, to start talking with other organization leaders and coming together on some common ground related to all the issues re: the impact on wildlife and hunting in Iowa for the future. “United We Stand, Divided WE Fall”

[/ QUOTE ]

BLAKE -
Iowa Conservation Alliance members are:

Iowa Whitetails Unlimited
Iowa Phesants Forever
Iowa NWTF
Iowa DU
Iowa Trappers Association
Iowa Bass Masters
Iowa Bowhunters Association
Iowa Quail Unlimited

We (ICA) have a general meeting in Feb, where we put on a banquet and invite all of the legislators in to get a feel for what they are for or against. We try to educate them on certain topics, and let them know what our memberships wants!

We talk with the leaders of these groups on a weekly basis. We also talk with members of the Iowa DNR on a regular basis, and the legislators. Our lobbyist keeps us up to speed on everything that is going on in the legislature on a very regular basis.

Supertec

Thank you for providing the list of Iowa Conservation Alliance members.
waytogo.gif

Hopefully everyone can find one or several organizations of interest to join and support.

I got a hold of about half of the members over the weekend. This is going to take a lot of calls folks! I dont know about the rest of you, but bowhunting deer and phesant hunting the weekend after thanksgiving has always been a family tradition for me. Not too crazy about slugs flying around then. I think our poaching problem will not get any better with this special shotgun season!!!!! Let's hear some thoughts!

I talked to Jeff Vonk for a while today. This is real serious guys and gals! There is nothing in writing stating exact areas, or how they are going to sell the tags. The way it is stated now, you could buy 10 doe tags for your county at anytime before the Nov 12th cut off, and you can use them all in the special shotgun season?

Anyone else think that this will increase poaching everywhere?

What about spooking the deer herd one weekend before shotgun season?

What about having to share your last bow hunting weekend before the shotgun season starts?

I wont be out in the trees wearing camo while there are shotgun hunters tracing around everywhere!

Lets hear some comments!

Not a very clever fella....is he.... I think it is a bad idea all around based on the timing. During shotgun season...most folks not associated with the hunt are out of the woods. Having turkey hunters, bowhunters, small game hunters, and upland hunters along with the rifles in the woods is a serious saftey issue that should be avoided. Plain and simple...the reason is self explanatory

Frankly I am trying to get my thoughts together on this issue and plan to talk with the Natural Resources Committee members ASAP.

Check your email supertec.

[ QUOTE ]
Not a very clever fella....is he.... I think it is a bad idea all around based on the timing. During shotgun season...most folks not associated with the hunt are out of the woods. Having turkey hunters, bowhunters, small game hunters, and upland hunters along with the rifles in the woods is a serious saftey issue that should be avoided. Plain and simple...the reason is self explanatory

[/ QUOTE ]

Shredder hit it right on the nose. If you're gonna have a rifle season, you'd better not have anyone else out in the field at the same time and everybody better be wearing orange. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against rifles at all. I hunt rifle deer season here in Nebraska, but you gotta play it safe. There are a lot of things that had better be carefully thought out before Iowa implements a special rifle season.

ANY RIFLE DEER SEASON IN IOWA AT ANY TIME DURING THE YEAR FOR ANY REASON IS NOT AN EDUCATED IDEA.

In the words of Forest Gump...

"I'm not a smart man, but I do know that's not a smart idea, that's all I have to say about that!"
evil.gif

You think there is some spot lighting and high power poaching going on in Southern Iowa now.....what are they thinking?
confused.gif

Regarding shotgun during thanksgiving weekend: I have been sitting here in disbelief. This is like a bad dream that just keeps getting worse. One of the main reasons given for not allowing bowhunting during the shotgun season is hunter conflict. Two different types of hunting styles and when combined you are bound to have problems. But now it is ok to shotgun hunt during bow season? I just can't see the reasoning for this? Throw in pheasant hunters and I can't imagine the scene during that weekend.

Regarding center fire rifles in southern Iowa: It really seems before long they will be able to save money printing the regulations because the same regulations for coyotes will apply to antlerless deer...that is where it seems to be headed.

It is my feeling that before long we are not going to have to worry about non-resident caps, leasing or property ownership. We have opened pandora's box and soon we will reap the benefits.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding shotgun during thanksgiving weekend: I have been sitting here in disbelief. This is like a bad dream that just keeps getting worse. One of the main reasons given for not allowing bowhunting during the shotgun season is hunter conflict. Two different types of hunting styles and when combined you are bound to have problems. But now it is ok to shotgun hunt during bow season? I just can't see the reasoning for this? Throw in pheasant hunters and I can't imagine the scene during that weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are my thoughts also.

Does anyone know where exactly these guys are getting their drive from? I can't imagine 7 members of a committee sitting around one afternoon coming up this retarded of a plan without some pushing and nudging from someone else. How exactly is the IADNR involved with this, I can't imagine they'd sign off on the saftey issues these new regulations would present. Is all this something created out of giving the IADNR more control over the antlerless deer.(SF206)?
Regaurdless of who came up with this junk, it's not a very well thought out plan, and obviously mine and your safety must not be quite as important to them. Seems like every year you hear of at least one turkey hunter getting shot by another, now throw in a bunch of bow hunters trying to sneak into their stand in the early morning with an early shotgun season going on. Unbelieveable.
mad.gif

Top Bottom