Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa bill to rise non resident deer tags from 6,00

Re: Iowa bill to rise non resident deer tags from

"I agree to an extent about raising the cost to meet the demand, I for one would pay more because the quality of hunting in Iowa far exceeds my home state, however it would concern me to see guys that have moved out state that comes home to hunt on the family farm be pushed from hunting. The game management system in America is structured to keep the common person concern with game management and conservation (state-owned wildlife). Our system prevents land owner from owning the resources (like old Europe). This system allows the government to set hunting regulations to manage and conserve our wildlife for now and the future with all citizens having stake in its well being (at least in theory). If you drive prices so high that wildlife is only a commodity for the state you may very well undo the goal of our game management system. I would rather see common hunters hunt every few years than only hunters at a certain income level. If you limited the resources to guys that can afford the high end tags (every year) they will most likely be the ones that can also afford high end leases"

Well stated!
grin.gif
grin.gif
There are other ways to raise revenue.

I have said this before also, but remember that you are for supply=demand valuations in big game tags, next time you go out west to hunt federal land and are paying 1200$ just for the tag.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
This is a situation begging for a simple supply-vs-demand solution.

If we got 6,000 tags and 12,000 people trying to buy them then the price is too low. Raise the price until demand is trimmed to meet the current supply.

This insures that our high quality deer herd stays strong. It prevents overcrowding of hunting locations and generates additional funds for the DNR that would otherwise be obtained through selling additional tags.

Win-Win-Win

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that's the case and that's the way a few of you feel...I certainly hope that MN just doesn't sit on it's hands and slaps reciprocity on every single tag that MN sells to non-residents! Fishing, trapping, small game, big game...every single license! I would hope that every state in the US does the same so everyone feels the impact of hunting outside their state. Not just those that want to have a little piece of IA. Is that still WIN-WIN-WIN? Eventually everyone will have to pay $500 for a non-resident tag. Gee, what a great idea!!!

I dont care how many tags are issued or not issued to non residents, Non residents should have to earn a buck, make a contribution to the managemnet of the herd, Everyone in these chat rooms spends so much time arguing over something that is inevitable at some point, maybe not for 5 years,maybe 10, maybe sooner who knows so why doesnt anyone try and at least find compromises. Get ahead of the process, talk about things like qdma, if non residents landowners want tags every year , give them more than 1 doe tag, kill a doe for the hungry, assuming a worse case scenario, I believe i read the proposal last year for NR landowner tags, I think it may have been some rediculous amount of land like 2 acres. If this law passes, now you have more of a problem, what is the right amount of land. another thing, no partners what the heck is that , 5 guys get together buy 100 acres, they all get tags, no way, if your giving out non res landowner tags for a buck, again this is worst case, 1 tag per parcel after you have harvested a doe etc... you get my point. Start thinking of other ways to win just some thoughts, another thing outfitters in a worst case scenario, they should be regulated, so may hunters per week, take the extra money from tags and hire more conservation officers to regulate . cant have n out fitter with 50 guys running around, enough to maybe earn a living not shoot every deer in the state

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a situation begging for a simple supply-vs-demand solution.

If we got 6,000 tags and 12,000 people trying to buy them then the price is too low. Raise the price until demand is trimmed to meet the current supply.

This insures that our high quality deer herd stays strong. It prevents overcrowding of hunting locations and generates additional funds for the DNR that would otherwise be obtained through selling additional tags.

Win-Win-Win

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that's the case and that's the way a few of you feel...I certainly hope that MN just doesn't sit on it's hands and slaps reciprocity on every single tag that MN sells to non-residents! Fishing, trapping, small game, big game...every single license! I would hope that every state in the US does the same so everyone feels the impact of hunting outside their state. Not just those that want to have a little piece of IA. Is that still WIN-WIN-WIN? Eventually everyone will have to pay $500 for a non-resident tag. Gee, what a great idea!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got absolutely no problem with reciprocity from any state, but before enacting such laws states might want to take into consideration whether hunters are really going to be willing to pay a high fee to hunt there! In other words, the reciprocity approach leads right back to the simple supply-vs-demand issue and if the state does not supply quality deer the demand from NR’s will be low.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got absolutely no problem with reciprocity from any state, but before enacting such laws states might want to take into consideration whether hunters are really going to be willing to pay a high fee to hunt there! In other words, the reciprocity approach leads right back to the simple supply-vs-demand issue and if the state does not supply quality deer the demand from NR’s will be low

[/ QUOTE ]
Tom- you hit it on the head. I also hear comments that average people will be priced out of the sport but no one is going to get priced out in their own state. Out of state hunting trips are a luxury item, no one is going hungry because they can't afford a NR elk tag in Idaho. Tags that are priced below the market demand are just another form of welfare controlled by the state.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got absolutely no problem with reciprocity from any state, but before enacting such laws states might want to take into consideration whether hunters are really going to be willing to pay a high fee to hunt there! In other words, the reciprocity approach leads right back to the simple supply-vs-demand issue and if the state does not supply quality deer the demand from NR’s will be low

[/ QUOTE ]
Tom- you hit it on the head. I also hear comments that average people will be priced out of the sport but no one is going to get priced out in their own state. Out of state hunting trips are a luxury item, no one is going hungry because they can't afford a NR elk tag in Idaho. Tags that are priced below the market demand are just another form of welfare controlled by the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can remember quite a few years ago...Idaho raised their deer tag prices.

They also have a limited NR tag quota which was selling out each year.

I don't recall exact numbers but they at least doubled the price and the first year they didn't sell out...however total income was much higher then previous years.

The next year and ever after they have sold all their tags and I expect they will raise prices again soon.

It's a bummer for me because I would like to hunt with my brother there, so I'm on both sides of the fence.

It does become expensive for the average guy but versus destroying the very thing we're seeking (quality hunting) it seems the better alternitive.

I also agree that requiring that a doe be harvested and checked in before validating an anydeer tag would be a positive step...IMO where deer #'s are high for both Res. and NR...

Passing your thoughts an ideas along to your legislator and IBA leadership will make a big difference...otherwise it's just....

talk
smirk.gif

Well here goes. For all of you talking about supply and demand justifing raising the price of NR tags, I ask what happens when the DNR and the State decides to apply supply and demand to residents? If this would be such a boon to them from the NR tag how long will it be before they decided to increase revenue by doubbling or trippling our tags. With the deer herd generally accepted to be in decline there will be fewer doe tags and fewer special seasons very soon. That means that the DNR will loose that extra money and will look for a new source. With your same philosophy that would mean that fewer hunters buying fewer tags for more money to just maintain the status qo. Please don't delude yourselves that this couldn't happen, just because after all they are our deer! There are several who say they don't care what other states do because they don't go any where else to hunt anyway. I think that is a very wrong attitude. This Iowa deer hunting has really exploded over the last 25 or 30 years, and I will absolutely gaurranty you that it will be declining over the next 25 or 30 years and that unless you are too old to go, you will be begging for some place to go to hunt quality deer because they won't be here.
Look at what is happening now. Our deer numbers are going down to the point that lots of counties won't have extra doe tags. Here in southern Iowa our habitate is already starting to change because of $3.50 corn and $8.00 beans for the ethonal and biodiesel demand that is only going to increase. Lots of timber and revines are already being buldozed to make more room for corn. Crp acres that are comming out will be converted to crop production, fence rows will be gone to help accomodate some of the huge ag equipment. As the habitate shrinks what will happen to the deer and the grounds that you have hunted for years? It might not be the outfitters and NR leasing hunters that take it away, but your own truck.

While supply and demand may control many aspects of our lives, I personally hope we never reduce our hunting, fishing, and enjoyment of the outdoors to that level. All supply and demand means is that those with the most gets and the rest just want. Think about the supply and demand of Ole England or modern Texas. Those with enough riches could hunt or do almost anything they wanted and the common folks just wonder what venison really tastes like and would the King really miss just one little deer.

Well that is enough for one day. Just remember"what goes arround comes arround" so be careful what you wish for you just might get it!!

Bowmaker, you’ve pointed out some of the perceived problems with a S-vs-D solution but you haven’t offered an alternative. As a long time and respected member of this site what do you feel is the solution to the NR tag issue?

Additionally, and, with all due respect to those with different opinions, I would not be fearful if "supply -demand" policies were applied to resident tags. Remember the pendulum swings both ways. As of today we still have 16 counties that have not sold their anterless tag allotments. Should the prices then be dropped? (Rhetorical question; please don’t reply)

I place a higher value on solid legislation that will ensure our deer quality remains strong long into the future than I do on my own selfish deer hunting desires. In other words, I’m willing to make a few sacrifices to my personal situation if it helps maintain our quality deer herd.

This year I spent $200 on deer tags. If $200 gets me 12 deer tags, I’ll buy 12. If $200 only gets me 1 tag then I’ll settle for just one as long as it provides me with a high quality experience and opportunity.

Why should he have to offer an alternative to a bad idea? You suggested the thing, and now he says it's a bad idea and you are demanding that he offer an alternative? He gave you a very good case about why it is a bad idea. That's enough for me.

Let's just say all the alternatives are better.

I didn't demand anything . I asked very politely to hear an alternative opinion so that I might become better informed on alternative solutions. Isn't that what a web forum is all about?
confused.gif

Whitetail

You are right in asking about another solution, anytime you disagree with an idea it is always good to present another view. I guess that I didn't offer one because it is already in place, the 6000 quota on NR licenses. I used to think that we were charging to much for these tags when compared to other state arround us, but even though I still think the fee is to high, it is what we have so use it. I think that a quota like this is the only fair way to allocate NR tags so the little guy can afford to take a hunting trip once every few years. If we sell these tags to the higest bidder under supply and demand, then that little guy is sunk just like I am sunk as far as hunting Big Horned Sheep. He can't afford several thousand dollars to hunt deer any more that I can spend $25,000.00 for a sheep hunt. Our hunting heritage has always been a sport for the common man so why change that now when hunting is so beseiged by Antis and all the other respective problems.
As far as swinging both ways, I will put this very bluntly. Prices ain't going down on any licenses in the foreseable future. As hunter numbers shrink the cost will go up because the DNR will cost more and more to opperate with fewer hunters to fund it. I don't want to have to pay $200 a year for 1 tag just because we got greedy and thought we could charge what ever the demand side would pay for NR tags. I fish for trout in Mo several times a year for a $35.00 NR license, but would not if the cost were $200.00. Cost has nothing to do with value and enjoyment when it comes to the outdoors. We should also respect those who this issue effects the most, the NR. The vast majority of them on this and other boards say "Leave it alone" and that they would rather only draw every 2 or 3 years and have a place to hunt and a quality hunt, than come every year with a hord of others and endanger the quality of their hunting.

Careful- worrying about the little guy is pretty a pretty democratic stance for this group.
No one is forced to spend thousands of dollars to hunt deer. Hunt near home, change management practices in home states, or move to Iowa (or the next deer mecca).
I think the economics stated are wrong, because as hunter numbers go down, the DNR will still need funds but tag increases will only further drive revenues down. Someone needs to harvest deer to keep the farmers and insurance companies happy- maybe we'll end up with a bounty placed on deer?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the economics stated are wrong, because as hunter numbers go down, the DNR will still need funds but tag increases will only further drive revenues down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my oil changed at Jiffy Lube last week. The tech noticed my IowaWhitetail sticker in the window (and Iowa Bowhunter sticker and Double Bull blind sticker
grin.gif
). He asked if I like to deer hunt. He stated that he quit deer hunting because licenses cost too much. So it looks like some are already priced out of the market.
crazy.gif

I saw a survey done by the US Fish & Wildlife service (I think) and the two primary reasons that the numbers of hunters had declined was the high price of licenses and the regulations were so complicated.

Anytime you mess with something that might decrease the number of hunters in this climate, where the antis are so strong and getting stronger every day, you had better think twice about it.

How many years has it been since they raised the price of resident tags in Iowa? 10? 20? I honestly do not know, but if revenue is such a priority and given that many hunters support an increase (in order to keep non-resident tags at the current level), have you ever wondered why the price has remained stagnant?

It could be that our State Reps would like to get re-elected, and are in no hurry to be the ones to draft a bill to effectively hike the tax on our sport. Or could it be that growing the bottomline is not their true goal at all? Any thoughts here?

As a nr-land ownerI have some different issues,but I do share alot of the beliefs of the residents.I don't think that drastically increasing the numbers of nr tags cures much except finances.I do think that whatever the number,the nr land owners should have the first chance to buy these tags and the remainder would made available for the lottery of all other nr including the celeb's,legislative friends and hosts of hunting shows who are out to promote themselves and their products.Not all
of us nr landowners are your enemies.Some of us are not wealthy
business tycoons or large outfitters
which are your enemies.Foreign investors
don't rank very high with me either.
To me all I expect is to be able to buy a couple tags every year and enjoy the land with my family and hopefully leave them with more than I started with.
I pay Iowa taxes and do not receive any representation.The letters I write go pretty much un-answered with no vote I have no power.Reprocity with Illinois would be the common sense solutionwhere as nr residents who own land in ILL at least have the right to buy tags to hunt their property with out being put into a lottery.I do have family in Iowa
so maybe that
helps explain why I have invested
there.I know I
don't have much support with my issue
but do I wish you fellas good luck with yours

clearly we are the minority, however i agree with you. maybe not all for the right reasons, clearly some nr landowners are financially motivated and some just want a better experience in the woods, but one thing is true Nr landowners make a conribution 12 monthes a year to the state, it would be nice if they could at least get first pick.

NR-land Owner,
Good morning to you.
I was just wondering how much your taxes are? I have a 100 acres of woods and it is in the forest reserve. My taxes are nest to nothing. Do they charge NR's more than residents?
Thanks for your reply.
Risto

I live in KS but hunt IA a lot and think that this could apply to both states.
1. Increasing non-resident tags will only increase the number of hunters and decrease the quality of "trophy deer" running around especially on the public ground.
2. Raising prices will only keep the average non-resident hunters out. The guys who don't want to shoot does and hunt with the outfitters will be the only ones able to afford the tags.
3. Earn-a-buck - I went to highschool in the eradication zone in southern WI when the CWD thing hit and they went to earn-a-buck. It did 2 things in our area immediately....really upset and caused a lot of hunters to not even go out thus not helping the killing of does, and caused the buck fawn population to decline dramatically within a 2 year time frame because all anyone cared about was killing the first antlerless deer they saw to get their buck tags.

I actually think the way Iowa is currently set up is pretty good, but there are some little things that they could change to help. For example every year I either apply and get drawn for an IA tag along with my dad so we can hunt with my family and best friend, if we don't get drawn we buy one of the IA non-res. antlerless only tags and we do usually kill our does. I don't understand why I can only buy one non-res. doe tag for one season when they always have a lot left over? Also why is it that in some counties restrict the number of doe tags residents can purchase when there are doe tags set aside for non-residents that are never purchased?

Top Bottom