Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Governors tags........

B

BIGBUCKDOWN!!

Scott Bestule
Tamara Gregory
Gary LaVox
Alex Rutledge
Eddie Salter
Phillip Vanderpool
Blake Shelton
Steve Tjornhom
Steve Ward
Bryce Towsley
Tom Ware
Pat Reeve
Aaron Carter
Glen Gilbert
Richard Tharp
Matthew Wilson
Rick Wilson
Chad Stoll
Terry Drury
Tammy Koenig
Bo Jackson
Bill Jordan
Chris Hodgdon
Lee Hoots
Scott Grieve

I know it don't amount to hardly nothing as far as the total harvest, but I wouldn't loose any sleep if they did away with the govenor tags all together. What the heck is the sense anyway. Granting tags to " celebrities " that already go and hunt pretty much where they desire already.

Let them go through the NR proccess like everyone else......
cussing.gif

I understand the reasoning behind it. It's a tourism thing. No doubt that these people bring attention to the deer hunting in Iowa an have a positive impact on the tourism dollars in the state. That doesn't make it any easier for the residents to swallow. But at least these people are primarily hunting with outfitters or on their own private land.

AS far as going throught the non-resident draw like everyone else. I'll bet if you check, most, if not all, the names on this list applied and were not drawn.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Aaron Carter the kid from Backstreet Boys?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that was Nick Carter, Aaron is his younger brother. Gosh, I'm feeling ill! Why do I know this? I have children.

Instead of giving these tags away they should auction them to the highest bidders, with the money going to the DNR!

I think Iowa1 is right - it's a tourism thing $$$. In the whole scheme of things it's relatively few tags but I'm with everyone else - wish I could get a Governor's tag in New Mexico or Arizona to hunt Elk! Oh well, if these TV show guys/gals don't come to Iowa to hunt what the heck are we gonna watch on the Outdoor Channel in the off season......

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of giving these tags away they should auction them to the highest bidders, with the money going to the DNR!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The bidding should start at around $5,000

these tags have served their purpose and are no longer needed. since the demand for tags far outweighs the number of tags available, i would say we no longer need so much "advertisement". these tags should be eliminated except for organizations like make-a-wish, and catch-a-dream, and the like.

with all these tags going to "celebrity" hunters, for the "betterment" of our state, who do you think will benefit more from that list of this years hunters...the state of iowa, or the people lining their pocket selling videos and silling products to the masses? to iowa its a tourism boost (supposedly), to these hunters, its a tag that they got by stepping around the system everyone else has to follow, and its a opportunity for profit

My thoughts about this are as follows.

It takes me three years as a non-resident to draw an license in Iowa. Yet these guys get extra special treatment as non-residents unlike myself because of their pseudo celebrity status.

There is however one thing I can do is to PLEDGE to NEVER buy any products that any one of these people/sponsors/are associated with again until they do the correct thing an apply and wait their turn like the rest of the non-residents are required to do.

This is nothing more than another example of psuedo celebrities in the hunting industry receving special treatment.

It ruins our sport and I would urge others to object as well.

If enough of us complain maybe the guys on this list will do the honest thing and use some integrity and go through the normal application process just like everyone else is required to do, but I would suspect greed and selfishness will prevail and they will go about business as normal in order to make a dollar.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
these tags should be eliminated except for organizations like make-a-wish, and catch-a-dream, and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings as well.

[ QUOTE ]
these tags should be eliminated except for organizations like make-a-wish, and catch-a-dream, and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

Another vote for the "wish" foundation type approach for these tags. Iowa does not need more publicity or notoriety regarding our deer herd.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go for that idea in a second!

However, since the program is about generating $$$$, if they continue to allocate them to promote "tourism", they should sell them and generate some guaranteed revenue for the state as a way of sharing the wealth from the money the promoters make on sales of DVD’s , etc……

[ QUOTE ]
these tags have served their purpose and are no longer needed. since the demand for tags far outweighs the number of tags available, i would say we no longer need so much "advertisement". these tags should be eliminated except for organizations like make-a-wish, and catch-a-dream, and the like.

with all these tags going to "celebrity" hunters, for the "betterment" of our state, who do you think will benefit more from that list of this years hunters...the state of iowa, or the people lining their pocket selling videos and silling products to the masses? to iowa its a tourism boost (supposedly), to these hunters, its a tag that they got by stepping around the system everyone else has to follow, and its a opportunity for profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put. I agree completely.

Shon

Top Bottom