Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Governors tags........

Rack had it it right. I'd like to see a list of campaign contributers compared to "hunters" receiving Govs tags. Maybe they didn't contribute to the Govs future run for the White House but rather a campaign for member of the House or Senate,both State and Congress.

On the issue of out of state land owners not getting to hunt their land every year, that for me is a tough one. If I owned land in another state and couldn't hunt it every year I'd be quite upset. On the other hand, as a resident of the state, I can understand it in that only rich folks could afford to buy land here and eventually only the affluent could afford to hunt. An out of state land owner buys the land knowing he can only hunt it every three years or so. Like I said, this is a tough one for me.

The 'Bonker

The subject of the Iowa Governors Tag program is getting a lot of attention right now on iowawhitetail and on several other Iowa based websites.

I admit that there are a number of other options that some of you might vote for.

Basically, it boils down to this. Are you in favor of the program, or opposed to continuing the program.

Cast your vote on the Entrance Page Poll. Then I would suggest that those of us that have strong opinions about the program, either for or against it, contact the Iowa DNR and our state officials.
smile.gif

If NR land owners were assured a tag every year, all the land in Iowa would get bought up and the average resident would get squeezed out. Only resident landowners that were willing to sell would benefit because real estate prices would go up.

Here in Kansas, us average guys are losing more opportunities to hunt every year due to land being leased for hunting privledges. If Kansas passes their proposed unlimited NR OTC tags for next year, NR's are going to lease every piece of available land in Kansas.

Gentleman (and ladies), fight to protect your wonderful resource. Residents should ALWAYS have preference over NR. I didn't get drawn in Iowa this year, and although I was dissapointed, that's the way it goes. I can assure you I will try again next year.

Here is how the Iowa code reads:

[ QUOTE ]
Section 483A.24, subsection 3
The director shall provide up to twenty-five nonresident deer hunting licenses for allocation as requested by a majority of a committee consisting of the majority leader of the senate, speaker of the house of representatives, and director of the department of economic development, or their designees. The licenses provided pursuant to the subsection shall be in addition to the number of nonresident licenses authorized pursuant to section 483A.8. The purpose of the special nonresident licenses is to allow state officials and local development groups to promote the state and its natural resources to nonresident guests and dignitaries. Photographs, videotapes, or any other form of media resulting from the hunting visitation shall not be used for political campaign purposes. The nonresident licenses shall be issued without application upon payment of the nonresident deer hunting license fee and the wildlife habitat stamp fee. The licenses are valid in all zones open to deer hunting. The hunter safety and ethics education certificate requirement pursuant to section 483A.27 is waived for a nonresident issued a license pursuant to this subsection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said before, as an outdoor writer I can see both sides of it. I sold my first article to North American WHitetail in 1992 and things look a lot different in Iowa now than they did back then. I have seen the incredble amount of dollars that the promotion of Iowa's deer hunting through magazine articles and videos can produce. There has been a huge influx of tourism dollars, and jobs created by it.

Just why exactly do you think the numbers of non-resident apps far exceeds the number of tags available? It's because the writers and video producers have shown to the world what we have in Iowa. Why do you think so many non-residents have bought land in Iowa and driven up the price of land? Because they want to get a piece of the action. WHy is there a huge increase in outfitters in Iowa over the last ten years? Because the DEMAND is there. And that demand was created by videos and magazine articles produced by all the names on that list. The process simply works and works very well. Some of us may think it works a little too well.

I have hunted in a lot of states, and I do not think most Iowa hunters really have a grasp of how good they have it, and how desirable it is to people from other areas of the nation.

There is no way there should be an exemption for landowners to get tags every year. You think land is high and it is getting harder to find a place to hunt now? Just wait until they do that. You will be doing nothing but watching the outdoor channel.

These landowners knew when they bought the land that they had to apply just like everyone else. That's the way it should stay.

Now to compare what Iowa is doing in relation to other states? I can hunt Kansas every year, whether I draw or not. I can hunt several of the surrounding states whenever I want, I do no even have to go through the draw. Just apply to the state's tourism department. I can make a call right now and have a FREE non-resident tag in several states just by calling the tourism director. Most states do not limit it to 25, and most do not have a rigorous application process like Iowa does. For Iowa, you have to prove what you are doing and how it benefits the state's tourism and your application has to be reviewed by several people, then you have to pay for the license, and afterward you have to send in reports and samples to verify that you did what you promised you would do.

That is much more restrictive than most states already. I am not trying to influence opinion here, just trying to help everyone see the big picture.

After reading all the posts here, my opinion is the same as it has been for the past 5 years.

Iowa is no longer in need of any further deer hunting promotion! The goal of these tags has been accomplished.....

Iowa 1
I'm not real sure exactly where you do stand on this issue. Some questions arise from your post. Where have these hugh influx of jobs and toursim dollars happened. Certainly no here in SE Iowa. The only thing I have seen is an increase in out of state landownership and leasing control, which has driven up the land cost artifically, which in turn actually costs me money because of higher taxes. While it maybe true that a few land owners and realators do benifit, I have not! With more off the land ownership comes shrinking rural and state populations, which again means higher taxes for me to support things like schools and roads that these other resident land owners helped support in the past. I work in an auto dealership and have seen neither the influx of jobs or dollars here, in fact our sales and income is well down from as little as 5 years ago, mostly because of fewer dollars to spend.

I don't think these tags should be auctioned to the highest bidder, I think that they should be eliminated completely. None of the recipents of these tags promote anything about Iowa other than our deer hunting. The only parts of the state they even show is the 50 yards of timber floor as they film from a tree stand. How can that possibly promote the state and bring in more tax paying, car buying, wage earning residents. These celebrities are only promoting themselves and their products, videos, music, or magazines, and are harming every current resident, as well as our deer hunting. Of course the usual disclamer that this is only my opinion applies, but at least I can't see where I might be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not real sure exactly where you do stand on this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no longer an Iowa resident so I don't think I should take a stand, I think it should be the residents who make the decision.

[ QUOTE ]
Where have these hugh influx of jobs and toursim dollars happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, being in marketing and travel as I am, I take it for granted people understand these things. Well think about it this way. How many non-residents hunt Iowa each year? How much on average do you think they spend? Not just the license money that provides additional jobs to the DNR (which also trickles down), but the motels, meals, gas, conveniences, sporting goods, etc. Take the average expenditures of the hunters, and it is a lot higher than you think, and multiply it by the number of nonresident hunters. Plus remember that those are tourism dollars, which have the largest trickle-down factor of any type, and you should be able to see how much impact it has on our economy. Certainly you do not see the direct impact on a car dealership, but you definitely see it indirectly. Besides the obvious... people without jobs don't by cars. The fact that the landowners are getting more for their land boosts the economy because they have more to spend, which in turn creates more jobs. Gas stations, motels, sporting goods stores also have more income which translates to every area of life in rural Iowa. Is this enough to turn around the sagging economy of small town Iowa? No but it can't hurt to slow it down a little.

[ QUOTE ]
The only parts of the state they even show is the 50 yards of timber floor as they film from a tree stand. How can that possibly promote the state and bring in more tax paying, car buying, wage earning residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

What they show that makes the difference is deer antlers. Period. Joe hunter in Pennsylvania or Michigan looks at the antlers and he wants to go there and see them for himself and hopefully hold them. Every one on this site knows how strong that pull is.

[ QUOTE ]
These celebrities are only promoting themselves and their products, videos, music, or magazines, and are harming every current resident, as well as our deer hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

They deserve to make a living and I do not begrudge them a profit. It's a hard business and only seems glamorous in the finished product. These guys earn every dollar they make and I do not begrudge them that. Unlike most poeople think, there aren't very many people really getting rich off of it. Most of them are making a decent living and a few have been able to capitalize on things in good ways that put them over the top. But darn few.

I think is debatable if they have hurt our hunting. I think that remains to be seen. I believe it will hinge a lot on how many non-residents are allowed in the future. Things like how much land is available to the public, how much pressure the insurance industry puts on the DNR and the legislature.

Your mileage may vary.

I don't really want to turn this into any kind of contest, but I understand what you are saying , but I think you totally missed my point. I understand about tourist dollars very well and have degrees in marketing and management. The problem is that all that talk is just "Pie in the Sky" in my opinion. The facts are that the NR license fees have not created any aditional DNR jobs to speak of, in fact I have been told that there are now fewer actual employees in the Fish and Wildlife division than in the past. Not enough money and exiting employees aren't being replaced. Also here in SE Iowa there are fewer motels, restraunts, and just try to find a good sporting goods store other than Walmart. The closest ones are in Des Moines and Iowa City. Not many deer hunters are going to drive 4 hours to spend some tourism dollars in those sporting good stores. I think if you really check that Iowa's gasoline consumption has also dropped. We have an opposit trickle down effect. Because we have fewer rural residents that consum gas, groceries, resturaunt food and the like, we have fewer of these things because there is no one here to support them the other 10 months of the year. With fewer people paying all combined taxes it is more of a burden. We must still maintain the same roads and highways, the same police departments, social services, schools, and on and on, only with fewer people. Drive arround our country side some time and really look at how many people are here. On a 5 mile strech of road from my house to the nearest small town there were once 14 houses with families, now there are 5 and most are older couples without any children on the land, and now it cost way more to plow the snow and gravel that same road and who pays for it? Certainly not the NR hunter. Take a look some time at the amount of land curently owned by people not living on the land in Davis, Van Buren, and Appanoose counties and then tell us how these celeb hunters have promoted Iowa. I'm not saying that these people should not be able to earn a living, but I am saying that they don't give a rats butt about Iowa. The absoulte only reason for them to come here and hunt is to promote themselves and not Iowa and as long as that is the case I can't see why we should make it so easy for them. Ask Bill Jordan or the Durys how many dollars from their Iowa material were used to buy their hugh holdings in Colorado, Illinos, Wisconsin, or New Mexcio. I don't own land anywhere but here, but I am supporting the hunting that they are promoting, or exploting, much more than they are. Just for the record I don't buy any hunting videos anymore. I do beleive that all this promotion has hurt our, the average resident hunter, hunting. Way fewer acres to hunt, leasing ground, more competetion for the deer has definatly hurt our hunting. With more promotion of Iowa deer comes more affluent hunters from other states who want o own they're own "little bit of heaven". This creates more idle hunting ground which then becomes sactuiaries that only adds to our poor buck doe ratio and we residents are expected to pay for more and more antlerless tags to control the problem, along with higher insurance rates. Yes I feel that all this has hurt our hunting and will lead to a down trend in the deer hunting, which will lead to a devaluation of land prices, oh yes it can and will go down, and on down the slippery slope. I am usually not so gloom and doom but this is a bad day. My whole point is that the Govenor tags don't help us in any way and can be shown to actually hurt our economy so lets stop them. Thanks.

everyone makes valid points, I would just like to get back the original point of this forum- governors tags and not debate resident vs nonresident. The bottom line is that it is true that commercial hunters have made Iowa deer hunting extremely popular, however the state is not quite ready to just open their doors, nor should they and make Iowa a free for all. So- if this is the case and i think we all agree, it should not be a free for all, then i think the state should stop the governor tag pogram. This hunting/video craze is only getting bigger.

I recieved a govenor's tag..... I'm not a celebrity. I paid the same as all NR for the tag. I'm a bow hunter. I'm working with Bill Knight on a new product that is used during the rut. We will be doing more R&D during the rut this season. We will bring jobs to Iowa if we are successful. I'm also an Iowa landowner. I get to my property at least once a month.....I enjoy Iowa the way it is. I've made some good friends..... I hope to make more.

Top Bottom