Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa NR draw results

I'll bite on this. Maybe all the big time tv hunters/the Iowa DNR were getting sick of all the questions being raised about how certain non-residents didn't draw but still got a bow tag every year. As a former non-resident landowner, nothing was more frustrating than getting to hunt your own ground every four years while seeing the Drury/Primos/Realtree/etc crews "draw" year after year. I can't even believe the hoops I have to jump through to establish my residency here for tags and those guys don't have to do jack other than sell highly edited DVDs
But were they Governor's tags or draw tags?

Last edited:
Why do you think you can't check by name anymore,

-}}}---------->

I think another issue outside of KBNelsons was it was too easy for people to see if a certain NR landowner drew or not. This caused trespass issues since they know they didn't draw and most likely would not be there.

I think another issue outside of KBNelsons was it was too easy for people to see if a certain NR landowner drew or not. This caused trespass issues since they know they didn't draw and most likely would not be there.
Or just nosy people poking around. I know I went to the old site and typed in Smith, Jones, etc to look at who drew with what points.

I think the DNR wanted to add a layer of anonymity.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
garg10 said:
I drew my archery Zone 4 tag with 3 points.....excited is an understatement! Only downside is my buddy was unsuccessful in Zone 4 with 2 points. Looks like I will be making the drive alone.

If your looking for someone to meet up with Im all game.....

Just a thought, but couldn't a person make an open records request to obtain this information? Not sure if that applies only to communications or a wider range of documents.

Just a thought, but couldn't a person make an open records request to obtain this information? Not sure if that applies only to communications or a wider range of documents.
Good point, as the DNR is a state agency and thus it should be public record.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…

Probably did happen, good point.

I looked up my last name Case and first name Justin (no tag) shoot !!

I drew!!!!!! I got 3 buck tags!!!! I even got 3 buck tags last year too, and the year before that! I must have some luck!?! Read my post on gov tags from a month ago if u want to know why the wait is getting longer and why year after year it will continue to get longer. Count on it.

How in the hell do you get 3 buck tags

I got drawn for zone 5. I will be hunting public land around Rathbun Lake. Anyone else hunt in this area? I hunted near Chariton in 2009 and killed a nice 11 point. Hope to continue the luck this year.

Chariton

I got drawn for zone 5. I will be hunting public land around Rathbun Lake. Anyone else hunt in this area? I hunted near Chariton in 2009 and killed a nice 11 point. Hope to continue the luck this year.

Yep used to own a farm in that area, now my farm in north of Chariton...good area and lots of public. Nice farmers in that area will often allow bowhunters;)

Yep used to own a farm in that area, now my farm in north of Chariton...good area and lots of public. Nice farmers in that area will often allow bowhunters;)

Have a friend that used to live there and all he hunted was public land. You think if I went and knocked on doors I could gain access to some private land?

I drew zone 4 with just 2 points. Will be hunting a friends place outside of Afton.Love getting out there hunted in zone 5 once but this will be the second time in zone 4.

Have a friend that used to live there and all he hunted was public land. You think if I went and knocked on doors I could gain access to some private land?

Possibly, but it's not going to be easy. What are your expectations (what do you want to shoot).....just curious. There are a lot of big whitetails on public in the area you'll be in.

Possibly, but it's not going to be easy. What are your expectations (what do you want to shoot).....just curious. There are a lot of big whitetails on public in the area you'll be in.

The one I killed in 2009 scored 135, but I want to hold out for a 140 or better if i can. My friend that used to live there told me not to shoot a 130 because there are lots that size around. I know there are bigger deer that in that area, but I'm only going to be there for a week so I am limited with time.

Yes I do, I simply asked and was very specific that I would only take one buck and maybe a doe (bow only) and you may not see me for three years and I promise not to invite all my friends etc... I had close to 3000 acres in which about 450-500 acres was CRP and timber... all just by asking farmers.

I ended up selling my old farm and no longer hunt that area. I purchased one by Indianola which is a different zone. I have at least 400 acres to hunt now, which is plenty!

Last edited:
Yes I do, I simply asked and was very specific that I would only take one buck and maybe a doe (bow only) and you may not see me for three years and I promise not to invite all my friends etc... I had close to 3000 acres in which about 4500-500 acres was CRP and timber... all just by asking farmers.

I ended up selling my old farm and no longer hunt that area. I purchased one by Indianola which is a different zone. I have at least 400 acres to hunt now, which is plenty!

I may try to do that. I just don't want to make people mad by me (a guy from MS who doesn't know them) asking to hunt their land. I guess I am just not used to people being that open and letting strangers hunt their land. That doesn't happen much down here. Most land is leased around me so I hunt public land here also.

I may try to do that. I just don't want to make people mad by me (a guy from MS who doesn't know them) asking to hunt their land. I guess I am just not used to people being that open and letting strangers hunt their land. That doesn't happen much down here. Most land is leased around me so I hunt public land here also.

It happens in the midwest, expect some rejections, but odds are you will secure a spot or two

Top Bottom