Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa NR draw results

The IBA is not against Non-Resident Hunters, they are against making unlimited number of tags available for non-residents. Non-resident hunters are great for the state, they bring in a lot of dollars to the local communities. The probability that this tag sells in the $10K range proves that.

So the IBA supports limited NR tags...unless there is one that draws in big $$ and they get half of the profits?? I support their primary goals, but this one seems to say "we don't support unlimited NR tags, unless they're willing to help fill our coffers" :confused::confused:

If the IBA is trying to be the "common man's" organization for residents, this doesn't seem to be the way to go about it...

NWBuck

So the IBA supports limited NR tags...unless there is one that draws in big $$ and they get half of the profits?? I support their primary goals, but this one seems to say "we don't support unlimited NR tags, unless they're willing to help fill our coffers" :confused::confused:
It is ONE tag.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
If the IBA can get the NASP program into 3 or 4 more schools we will gladly accept a conservation tag every year.

MN2Ia Guy- I will correct you. The IBA never lobbyed for the 35% Rule

Yes, the nonresident quota for the Any-Deer Combo licenses (quota 6000) is split so that 35% can go to bowhunters and 65% go to firearms hunters (shotgun 1, shotgun 2, & late muzzleloader seasons). These percentages are written into the Iowa Code in Chapter 483A.8c.

These percentages were not designed to discriminate against nonresident bowhunters, but instead, were designed to distribute the nonresident any-deer license quota among nonresident applicants. The percentages are based on how resident Iowans purchase any-deer licenses. At the time the Code was adopted approximately 35% of resident Iowans purchased any-deer archery licenses and 65% purchased an any-deer firearms license of some type.

The intent of the Code was to distribute the nonresident quota for any-deer licenses in a manner similar to the way resident Iowans utilized the resource. Part of the intent of the establishment of the nonresident any-deer quota was to allow an opportunity for family members to return home and participate in the deer hunt.

Breaking the nonresident any-deer quota into percentages similar to how resident Iowans utilize the resource helps accomplish that goal and it also helps maintain the balance of pressure among the hunting seasons which plays an important part in creating the quality of deer hunting that Iowa is known for.

If we are to use this formula basing the number of NR bow tags on the number of resident bowhunters compared to resident gun hunters the percentage would drop to 31 or 32%.

I would rather have our situation than what is going on in Kansas. This is a quote from an Email I received from the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism:

More than 1,000 permits available to nonresidents

After the initial nonresident deer permit drawing in May, the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) had approximately 4,000 permits leftover in 11 deer management units for the 2012 season. The agency put these permits up for sale on a first-come, first-served basis, but as of July 11, more than 1,200 of these Whitetail Either-Sex permits were still available. Those hunters whose favorite unit does not have leftover permits may purchase a permit for an adjacent unit, if it has leftover permits, then select their favorite unit as the adjacent unit where they may also hunt.

Four THOUSAND left over tags? Sounds like the law of diminishing returns has finally caught up with Kansas. How would you like to have used all of your preference points for your zone, then have somebody buy a tag for the adjacent zone and come hunt in a tree next to yours?

This is what the IBA stands against.

Cooter said:
I've never been able to watch that entire movie. I just lose interest and fall a sleep.

I don't think Bill Murray is all that great either.

Mobile Cooter using IW

"Timeless" flick containing many applicable realities with this SAME thread.... Same posts, same responses, same everything year after year... :grin:

Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today.

I would rather have our situation than what is going on in Kansas. This is a quote from an Email I received from the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism:

More than 1,000 permits available to nonresidents

After the initial nonresident deer permit drawing in May, the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) had approximately 4,000 permits leftover in 11 deer management units for the 2012 season. The agency put these permits up for sale on a first-come, first-served basis, but as of July 11, more than 1,200 of these Whitetail Either-Sex permits were still available. Those hunters whose favorite unit does not have leftover permits may purchase a permit for an adjacent unit, if it has leftover permits, then select their favorite unit as the adjacent unit where they may also hunt.

Four THOUSAND left over tags? Sounds like the law of diminishing returns has finally caught up with Kansas. How would you like to have used all of your preference points for your zone, then have somebody buy a tag for the adjacent zone and come hunt in a tree next to yours?

This is what the IBA stands against.

I used to hunt Kansas sometimes. But then then some unscrupulus landowning politicians morphed their real NR lottery into a fake "feel good" one like we have here in Illinois. Sell as many $550 permits as possible. So I quit applying years ago, and still have 4 worthless preference points NOT burning a hole in my pocket.

So the IBA supports limited NR tags...unless there is one that draws in big $$ and they get half of the profits?? support unlimited NR tags, unless they're willing to help fill our coffers" :confused::confused:

If the IBA is trying to be the "common man's" organization for residents, this doesn't seem to be the way to go about it...

NWBuck

No it's not the IBA that supports such!! I've been in the IBA awhile! It would be thee BOARD of the IBA that supports it! Imagine that!!!! Been thru this kinda crap on here before with the Board, and what they promote and don't!!

No it's not the IBA that supports such!! I've been in the IBA awhile! It would be thee BOARD of the IBA that supports it! Imagine that!!!! Been thru this kinda crap on here before with the Board, and what they promote and don't!!

There are several positions on the IBA board available and will be voted on at the Fall Festival first weekend in August. Get your application in, get the votes needed and you will have an equal vote on the board. New faces and ideas are always welcome. Step up and Volunteer if you don't like the way things are going.

There are several positions on the IBA board available and will be voted on at the Fall Festival first weekend in August. Get your application in, get the votes needed and you will have an equal vote on the board. New faces and ideas are always welcome. Step up and Volunteer if you don't like the way things are going.

:way: If I had the time I would!! But since I don't, I will voice my opinion on the ones that do!! Don't like it!!! Too Bad!!!!!!! They wanted to be at the top!!! Somebody thought they were wonderful or they would not be on the board of a statewide org.!! From the way it looks, the last few years............SOMEBODY WAS WRONG!!!! I was probably a IBA member before most that are on the board!!! The."You Come up and run it then! thing is lame!!!!!:thrwrck: I think most know what has and is going on!! May explain why about only 20-30% (and thats probably a over estimate!) of Iowa's bowhunters are members! My opinon!!!!!!!!!!!:way:

And as far as the Fall Festival goes!! Crossbows are now allowed!!! Sorry! This is Iowa! Unless your handicapped you can't hunt deer with a crossbow!! Are only handicapped allowed to shoot at the festival with crossbows??????? :D I'll bet not!!!!!!!

All in all! I've been a IBA member since the 70"s!! I would never encourage anyone to join!!!!!!

Last edited:
And as far as the Fall Festival goes!! Crossbows are now allowed!!! Sorry! This is Iowa! Unless your handicapped you can't hunt deer with a crossbow!! Are only handicapped allowed to shoot at the festival with crossbows??????? :D I'll bet not!!!!!!!

Actually, you do have to present your State Authorized Crossbow permit in order to shoot one at the Fall Festival. By not allowing those we could be telling a Wounder Warrior he wasn't welcome - we sure don't want to do that. Its been this way for several years and as far as I know, no one has ever brought a crossbow to shoot there.

As far as the IBA Board, I am new - less than a year. I would love to hear what is wrong or you think is wrong. You many PM me if you wish - I'm really dont know what you are referring to. I do know it is a volunteer position that takes up a ton of my time. All I want to do is promote, preserve and protect Bowhunting in Iowa.

It is ONE tag.

So...I'm against prostituion. But, if it's only ONE time, and you are able to make a bunch of money off of it, go for it. Bad illustration I know, but I think it clarifies my point. A principle is a principle, and saying it's only ONE means the focus is now the number and not the principle.

Gunrunr, I know these positions are tough to fill, and there's no way you can please everyone all the time. Not trying to be a squeaky wheel, just make my point, and I thank you for your efforts.

NWBuck

I do know it is a volunteer position that takes up a ton of my time. All I want to do is promote, preserve and protect Bowhunting in Iowa.

Boyd,

Thanks for what you and the rest of the IBA are doing for all of us nationwide. I appreciate your hard work. I know it takes a lot of your time, and I strongly believe that most of us out there have no idea how much work you guys put into protecting the resource for all of us to enjoy. Keep up the good work. :way:

As far as the IBA selling a tag at 'auction'....what's the big deal? They aren't against NR's. They welcome them. If you know anything about whitetail hunting, it's easy to see that many states over the years have been 'ruined' due to an unlimited amount of tags, which leads to an unlimited amount of pressure in many areas. We want to keep Iowa the way it is.....a top-notch state for whitetail hunting. Deer are a limited resource, so we must limit the pressure. Just my 2cents.

-Chris

Last edited:
So...I'm against prostitution. But, if it's only ONE time, and you are able to make a bunch of money off of it, go for it. Bad illustration I know, but I think it clarifies my point. A principle is a principle, and saying it's only ONE means the focus is now the number and not the principle.
I wish you good luck living in your black and white world.

Oh, and I corrected the spelling in your post. ;) You either spell it right or don't, B/W.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Dude give it a rest. You know as well as I do the current IBA board is not selling us out.

The president ask for a recommendation on a good outfitter because he didn't know of any(which is a good thing). They are auctioning one tag off that the state gives them. (which is a good thing).

I know thinking the IBA board helping outfitters is a scary thing to most IA residents but that was not the case at all.

Mobile Cooter using IW

COOTER......AM I READING THIS RIGHT! Wow man. Sometimes we think the same. :way:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
im gonna chime in on this,,i agree 100% with you cooter. and that is coming from a NR who loves Iowa and has gotten my best deer here..Would love to come here every year and not half to worry about getting drawn but i also see what has happened here in Wis. they basically ruined it here for us...Iowa is doing it right...I agree they shouldn't change a thing

Are we for or against the commercialization of deer hunting? I know it's only one time and the NR who buys it can afford it.

Top Bottom