Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa NR draw results

I have 500 acres, about 1/2 timber in Zone 11 if anyone wants to hunt it. You can hunt it for free if you drew a tag there. I don't make it over there at all & it's been managed for very old bucks with the little pressure we've given it.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I have 500 acres, about 1/2 timber in Zone 11 if anyone wants to hunt it. You can hunt it for free if you drew a tag there. I don't make it over there at all & it's been managed for very old bucks with the little pressure we've given it.

Skip; don't pump up that zone 11 farm! Remember when you allowed me to hunt there, I saw 3 does, one fawn, 16 squirrels, a possum and one fork buck with a drop tine. After a week of hunting I decided to take the fork with a drop. He scored 55 and probably was not worthy of the $550 tag, but that was the only buck on the property.

When you guys say you drew with two or drew with three....are you saying you put in with two (making three points) or put in with three (making four points)?

I put in this year with two preference points (making three), applied for zone 5......and did not draw....

Wish IA had a list like WI does for bear that would show the amount of people with a certain number of points (still does not show name, etc..), then a guy would be able to tell better what the odds are going to be for the next year, based on how many people with a certain number of points, etc....

Anyone put in with three (making four) and not draw....if it's getting to that point.....it may as well be a lottery, like some states for elk....

I got drawn for zone 5. I had two points going into the draw. From reading posts on other sites it seems I was pretty lucky. Several guys saying they did not get drawn with 2 pts. Also some saying they had 3 and did not get drawn. I do not know how that could be because I thought if they had 3 they would automatically get one before anyone with 2. Anyway I am pumped I got drawn. I am OK with only getting a tag every three years. I know that if Iowa ever changes their rules the state will be overrun with outfitters and others leases up all the land. I believe the great hunting would suffer because of that. My two cents.

I agree and also don't mind waiting because of the quality of the hunt....but, as always...every system has flaws. In this case, if numerous people are stacking up points, it changes the system and its results...

My 'point' is, that if it gets to the point where multiple, multiple stack points and a NR might need 5 or 6 pts to draw, that'll get old fast...

I have been applying for and recieving points for a Colorado Elk Hunt for 18 years and still haven't drawn it. Iowa's 3 year wait is minimal for the quality of animals we have.

if it gets to the point where multiple, multiple stack points and a NR might need 5 or 6 pts to draw, that'll get old fast...

We are heading there fast. Massive amounts of promotion that are not needed & the second the economy comes roaring back, it would not surprise me one bit if it were a 5 year wait.

Whitetail hunting and elk hunting are two completely different endeavors. To compare Iowa whitetails to Colorado elk is apples and oranges. Different states, different herd levels, and different eco-system.

Not to menttion that every Colorado resident is not allowed to shoot three bull elk and practically unlimited cows! I had 2 points going into the draw for zone 5 and didn't draw a bow license. I don't know any other state that is so restrictive to NR bow hunters.... At this rate I'll only be able to bowhunt Iowa about 3 or 4 times before I'm too old to draw!!! :(

I have been applying for and recieving points for a Colorado Elk Hunt for 18 years and still haven't drawn it. Iowa's 3 year wait is minimal for the quality of animals we have.

gunrunr,

So you are in 17 point hell too, huh? I've seen many jokes about our pool. Have been applying in many states for all that time and drawn many slammer elk hunts. Even after all those I have over 260 points for all hunts combined, and my 17 CO elk points are by far the most worthless. We won't even be able to draw unit 61 archery. As the points were cheapened by the hybrid draw, I've seen guys drop down and burn their points on dam near anything, because of the logjam ahead. I've been told the top end in obtainable tags is about 310 in unit 76 mzl. I will likely drop down for the archery hunt there so I can hunt with my buddy who has 6 points less.

18 years for a 310"? Are you kidding me? Yikes, last year I took a 330" P&Y bull in a 50% draw unit in New Mexico DIY, where they have no point system! Photo in avatar.

I was only on one hunt in CO before, a mule deer hunt in Gunnison Valley. There was an OTC general rifle elk hunt going on at the same time in my unit. I hunted for 5 days and was able to stalk up to within bow range of a 310" 6x6 bull. I could have taken him if I had an OTC tag! And I'm sitting on 17 points? Crazy situation there. Just no where near enough trophy units to go around!

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Or apply for Governor tags and think of something to promote Iowa. Apply for that often & give a little competition to the "celebs" that get ahead in line pf the regular NR- lots of ways to promote Iowa, I know several that do this with frequent success. I agree, IBA tag is a great thing- hope folks bid on that rascal.

If you wanted to draw a tag but didn't, you can buy one on Ebay from the Iowa Bowhunters Association. Still at a very reasonable price.

Bid High - Bid Often

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221074736165?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

As hard as the IBA has fought the nonresident issue, am I the only one who finds this more than just a little hypocrictical?? Issuing another NR tag is OK so long as we profit from it?? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way...

NWBuck

As hard as the IBA has fought the nonresident issue, am I the only one who finds this more than just a little hypocrictical?? Issuing another NR tag is OK so long as we profit from it?? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way...

NWBuck

The IBA is not against Non-Resident Hunters, they are against making unlimited number of tags available for non-residents. Non-resident hunters are great for the state, they bring in a lot of dollars to the local communities. The probability that this tag sells in the $10K range proves that.

I believe they were the ones that promoted the limited number of NR archery tags.... Bowhunters are the only group that is unfairly treated in the NR draw. Correct me if I'm wrong......

I believe they were the ones that promoted the limited number of NR archery tags.... Bowhunters are the only group that is unfairly treated in the NR draw. Correct me if I'm wrong......
Isn't the reason the Iowa DNR limits the number of NR Bowhunters to 35% of the total of NR permits per is zone, is to limit the number of NR hunters that get to hunt during the rut? Shotgun hunters and late muzzleloader hunters obviously hunt out side of the rut during those 2 seasons. NR Bowhunters can bowhunt any part of the bow season they want. And if I had a NR buck bow tag in my pocket I would hunt the pre-rut/rut.

Top Bottom