Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Leased by a IW Member (UPDATED)

Re: Land Leased by a IW Member

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm... that officially stinks!

I say you "out him" so the rest of us can boo him for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea who is this low down, dirty, no good,.......
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If he knew that was where you hunted...that is just low. There are plenty of places to hunt with out affecting other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially a fellow Iowa Whitetailer'. I wonder why the landowner didn't offer you first chance at a lease. Maybe you aren't interested. Any way you look at it "That Sucks!!!".
icon_sumo.gif

Especially a fellow Iowa Whitetailer'. I wonder why the landowner didn't offer you first chance at a lease. Maybe you aren't interested. Any way you look at it "That Sucks!!!".
icon_sumo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Landowner didnt offer to anyone that previously has hunted the place for the last few years, not even the gun hunters.
I wouldnt of leased it anyway because I dont have a lot of cash to spending on leasing up ground.

I just thought I was doing him a favor by keeping the heard away from his crops and that was payment enough.

I dont want to "out" this person just as of yet because I dont want to burn a bridge before speaking with him. (Which is going to be difficult unless I run into him while he is on the property)

Bummer, but I'll bet it's not the first or last time it will happen to someone on IW.

Hope you get the chance to shake his hand and let him know how much you appreciate his thoughtfulness.

[ QUOTE ]
Bummer, but I'll bet it's not the first or last time it will happen to someone on IW.

Hope you get the chance to shake his hand and let him know how much you appreciate his thoughtfulness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet a few blue tasties that he will be at the Gathering again this year and most of you can shake his hand
grin.gif

i feel your pain
i lost a piece of land to a lease, and two others to Grandson's who came home.....and wanted exclusive property
this sucks and i totally understand the situation. i wish i had some good advice and a great tactic to get it back
all i can say is get in the truck and knock on some doors.....
best advice i have got
best of luck

I would def. be pissed off. I was gonna see if anyone wanted to do some sheddin over the classic but the hell with that.

[ QUOTE ]
I will tell you why, it's because some people don't know how to hunt. They take the easy way out. Think about it, that guy has to put in zero work, besides cutting a check knowing he will be in a quality area. The real hunters are guys who find their own spots on their own instead of hoarding in on people, after gaining their trust, with their fat wallets and taking their ground.

Think about it everytime you buy a video or buy something that is sponsored by a so called Hunting Expert. He is doing the same damn thing as this guy. Taking the easy way out. He doesn't have to put in the plots or Manage the herd it was already done for him. Hell you might as well give him the Trail cam pictures so he will have his scouting done for him too. What a jerk. Outfitters and greedy people will be the death of hunting as we know it. I am just glad I own some land and don't have to worry about someone coming and buying or leasing the ground I have.

I will admit so far you are handling this very well. This happened to me years ago I did not handle it as good as you are. Although I think the whole idea of this stinks maybe the conservative approach you are taking is the answer. Good luck with this.

The reason I started bow hunting was all the land being leased for bird hunting years back and I just got tired losing land.Now I have lost one farm that I deer hunted for 15 yrs to a lease several years ago and one this year because some a$$hole was cutting fences and cattle was getting out.I feel your pain.Is this guy a resident or nr?
frown.gif

Hey Steve, my first thought is you shoulda talked with the leasee first before you posted this and maybe he woulda let you hunt. Now, I'm not so sure even I would let you hunt it and I'm about the easiest goin guy around.

I too have lost ground to leasing or being sold. I'm looking out my window right now at a 30 something acre piece that went for 7200 an acre. Just next to it was another 30 something acre tract that went for 7500 an acre. I walk to the front room and look out that window and I see over 600 acres I used to have permission on but was leased up. The farm next to that is hunted by the same guys evey year and the owner has never actually told me "NO" but it is implied and I don't want to ruin another hunters hunting. I look out the kitchen window and I see the fifteen acres I (and several other shotgun hunters) have permissoin to hunt on but the owner isn't in the best of health. His son is a real estate agent so I know its gonna be outa my reach too. Just north of that is a 40 that I killed plenty of deer off of that sold for 290,000, it had an old house and some out buildings, the new owners only let their friends hunt it. I won't even mention the several hundred acres to the east that are slowly being filled with houses. Soon I will only have my eleven acres of heaven to hunt on, or maybe I'll have to start hunting the urban/parks hunts.

Anyway, I not only feel your pain, I think I invented it. But I certainly would have held off posting until you got a yea or nay about your continued hunting on the leased ground. Even if the post was meant in fun.

The 'Bonker

Awwwww...yes, more leasing and more displaced hunters...

People who have their very own hunting ground are certainly very fortunate.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking out my window right now at a 30 something acre piece that went for 7200 an acre. Just next to it was another 30 something acre tract that went for 7500 an acre

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sharted in my pants.
crazy.gif
blush.gif

just had 560 acres up the road from my dads go for $5400 an acre. Bought by farmers. It even has a little patch of timber, and i'm sure it will get dozed. We don't have the problem with people leasing up land here very bad, but we do have problems with bigger farmers and investors buying up land and taking the dozers to it. I think I would rather not be able to hunt a piece of ground because it's leased vs because there is no more timber there to hunt.

Every time I read stories about lost hunting rights it makes me scared to show even my best friends the trail cam pics. Reality is if you ask TV personalities "what is the secret to killing big bucks?" they will all say you gotta hunt where they live. That is what this guy just did.

[ QUOTE ]
People who have their very own hunting ground are certainly very fortunate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. Even if its only eleven acres.

Before I had this place I was envious of folks who lived on acerages. Back then I only wanted to live "in the country" and I was a two day a year deer hunter. I got this place, started bow hunting "out back" and now I'm envious of folks with 40 acres. I'm sure if I had 40 acres I'd be envious of folks with 80 and on and on. I'm envious, not jealous, not angry. In fact I'm down right glad that they are "Living the Dream" that hard work and success have brought.

Time spent being angry over situations that are totaly out of my control is time I've badly wasted.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Reality is if you ask TV personalities "what is the secret to killing big bucks?" they will all say you gotta hunt where they live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reality is that most TV personalities have all the leg work and scouting already finished for them.

So their secret to killing big bucks is hunting where they live and having a knowledgeable outfitter.

Most race state to state playing "shooter" for the camera.
blush.gif

Saskguy - I can validate those figures, that is what ground is bringing anywhere within about 20-30 minutes of a larger city in Iowa like Cedar Rapids or Iowa City. Depending on a range of factors you might be able to "steal" a place for around $4000-$5000 per acre "close-in". But Bonker is not exagerrating and that is representative of what is happening with Iowa real estate, particularly the "rough" ground we all look for to hunt on.

In the more rural areas, as in 60-90 minutes away from any larger populations, you are probably looking at $2000 to $2500 per acre. There are some exceptions higher and lower, but that is a viable range. Much of the $2000 per acre ground traded freely 10-12 years ago at around $275 to $350 per acre. With those economics in play you can see why people would hesitate to reveal their "secret" locations.

Just some FYI to consider...

Daver...I fully agree with you, your dead on.

In 1990 I was 23 years old and looking for hunting land. Fresh out of college and I drove an old Grand Prix that burned a quart of oil per gallon of gas.
grin.gif

Anyway, I had about three great pieces of ground located for 300 - 400 per acre. It sounded like a ton of money back then.

One of my only regrets in life is that I didn't buy all of it the bank would finance at the time!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
One of my only regrets in life is that I didn't buy all of it the bank would finance at the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the truth...I hate to even think about it.
crazy.gif

When it went to 500 bucks an acre I thought people were off their rocker....figured I'd wait til they came back to their senses...
smirk.gif

Top Bottom