Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Leased by a IW Member (UPDATED)

Re: Land Leased by a IW Member

Well, to understand what I'm referring to you'd have to know the SE Kansas economic struggles. Land is not as attractive here to many out-of-state hunters (my area), and you can still find it for under $1000/acre in larger tracts. For the most part, non-resident buyers are purchasing land, securing the mineral rights and then selling for the same or a slightly inflated price in smaller parcels. The main reason we're waiting is the particular place we want is still a while from going on sale (hopefully). We already have the money saved to buy...

Not really advertising here, but I just happen to know of a tract of land in / near Ringold/ Taylor county that has some pretty awsome hunting on it. Its 180 acres with about 45 acres in timber. The rest is pasture and ponds. It is surronded by a huge CRP feilds, other timbers and a large sized river. Takes in income of close to 10k a year. We have some trail cam pics of some mosters, not to mention killing a few good ones off of this place. I bet you could talk the guy into taking 1800 acre and may even sell on contract to the right person.

I plan on having topos and pics, etc at the deer classic here in a couple of weeks. If intrested PM me before then so we can skip the realtor fees. Otherwise we plan on hunting down a realtor at the show to list it for us.

steve losing land to hunt on sucks!!!it isnot going to get any better! you can not imagine the amount of hunting spots, i have lost in the 35 years. but if you love bow hunting, you have to keep on hunting, pissed off or not.

It's all about supply and demand. The funny thing is how will we look at leasing ground 20 years from now? Also why is it okay for us to say it is wrong for someone to lease ground in Iowa when "most" of us would pay an outfitter out of state for an Elk hunt in which they leased the ground from some private owner reducing land access in another state? Has anyone even brought up what responsibility land owners have in this situation by offering leases? Unfortunately from an economic standpoint leasing makes total sense. (Please don't take this as an endorsement because I myself do not like lease hunting.) I could lease ground in several different areas that offer better chances at killing good deer instead of making steep payments on a piece of ground that I have to work my butt off just to keep let alone hunt. Then if some of the areas don't pan out good deer you don't renew the lease. I do though sometimes wonder if it will come down to just having to bite the bullet and begin leasing ground in my area just to get my foot in the door before someone else gets there first? Some of the other things that seem overlooked is that truthfully there just isn't enough good places to hunt to go around. I would be really curious to find out what hunting arrangements all the members of this site have made to hunt where they do right now. I especially would find it interesting to find out the land access arrangements made to shoot all this year's big deer at the Iowa Deer Classic! It just seems as long as we sit around watching the
Gregory's, Kisky's, Lakosky's, Primos', and Drury's ( All of which I do like to watch myself) we are all kind of selling hunting out into the commercial world. Ultimately as hunters we are killing our own sport by increasing the demand. No easy answer. I apologize for the long winded response but as much I sympathize with your situation (and to all other hunters) we are all responsible in the end for what is happening. Really other then the unethical method of finding the new lease it would make perfect sense that an Iowa Whitetail Member would lease ground looking for a trophy. They love to hunt deer and probably have no where else to go to find a trophy buck that might actually make the front page of this site.

It is a double edge sword,we buy the products that these pro-hunters endorse to make us better hunters but that money spent is used to lease land or pay a outfitter that takes land away from us.I will not buy a video for that reason due to having problems in a area to the guys that drive the green and yellow trucks.Steve how much land does the Kiskys lease in your area?I know the Druys have taken a bunch just up the interstate from you,don't know how much is leased.

i think some of us are straying off the main point. its not that he lost land to a lease. (hell, who here hasn't?) its that he lost the land to someone he treated like a friend, and got stabbed in the back. same as if you took a buddy to your favorite private fishing pond, and then the next week you drive by, and there he is, fishing your spot, with a bunch of his friends.
NOT COOL
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i think some of us are straying off the main point. its not that he lost land to a lease. (hell, who here hasn't?) its that he lost the land to someone he treated like a friend, and got stabbed in the back. same as if you took a buddy to your favorite private fishing pond, and then the next week you drive by, and there he is, fishing your spot, with a bunch of his friends.
NOT COOL
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

It's difficult to imagine how you could invite someone to your area to hunt sheds and this person could turn around and, with a clear conscience, pull something like this. I think there's a special place in Hades for users and abusers like this, and I hope he gets exactly what he deserves.

I can say one thing for sure: you are handling this with alot more cool than I could.

Teeroy you nailed it on the head,

I treat everyone on here as my friend because we are in this for one reason, and that is the love of the outdoors,

I invited all of you to my house last year for the Shed Gathering and almost 50 of you showed up to make it the largest since its existance.

And I never thought at 1 time that a one of you would come down and look at leasing ground that I can see from my back door or that I hunt.

Does it make me a little jumpy this year, sure it does, but you keep doing what you have a passion for.

Hopefully it will be even larger this year so mark your calenders for Aug 11th for the 2007 Shed Gathering.

I will not comment on the ground the Drury's and Kisky's have leased up/bought because there is more to it then that.
After having lived down here for 4 yrs now you have a lot of people pissed at them and start spreading rumors etc....

I was one of them at one time because I listened to all those people until I actually talked to the people themselves.
They do it for the same reason we do but they were just smart enough to get in with the correct people and start making videos that most of us buy (I dont buy them if it matters to you guys)

They are awesome people and sometimes business decisions are made that dont make people happy.

Thank for all your replies on this matter

Steve

Steve dont lump us in with that person.This is something you never do.i could never consider doing somthing like that.i hope this dont sour you , we are your friends.

MatchedSet,
I hope I didnt come across that way, and I apologize if I did come across that way.
Steve

Did that particular member just recently start a land-lease company? If-so, I could tell you some stories! he he he....

Update!

Well I sent this gentleman a letter last thurs and he calls me up today.

He actually found out about this property from a guy he knows mentioned it to him because the guy he knows is best friends with the Land Owner.

Also come to find out he was at the shed gathering last year but NOT a member.

I assumed he was a member due to being at the gathering.

We are going to get together next week sometime and talk about the situation.

So at this time we are on Great Terms and I am trying to work with him.

He apologized and said he had no idea.

I feel like I have led many of you astray and apologize before I knew the whole story that went on and how he acquired it the ground and figured he was a member.

Everyone on here has been great to me with their support and PM's.

Steve

Good for you contacting him to find out the whole story.Hope you two can work things out that will be best for the both of you.

Top Bottom