Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Leased by a IW Member (UPDATED)

Re: Land Leased by a IW Member

I had some elder uncles at the sale the day I bought my ground. Their reaction was this..."$1000 an acre?? Are you crazy? I remeber this land sold 20 years ago for $350 an acre!" It has since been re-appraised at $2500 an acre. I think I did ok.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would rather not be able to hunt a piece of ground because it's leased vs because there is no more timber there to hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and that might be the one and only upside to leasing. If it adds value to timber ground and spares it from dozers, then I guess thats the lesser of two evils. I'd rather some rich guy got to hunt a piece than nobody at all, at least its still habitat. Leasing and increasing land prices are a sad situation, one that ironicly, the hunting community has largely done to itself.

I agree with 'bonker too. I think I'd approach the guy about keeping an eye on his lease, maybe even running a trail cam for him since he's out of the area, in exchange for at least some hunting rights. Seems like you would be a valuable resource for him, and its better than nothing for you. Either that or kick him in the nads.
kickass.gif

Just a thought on land prices, I moved from Maryland to PA because in PA land prices are only 200,000 an acre VS MAryland at 300,000-1,500,000 an acre. I just thought you may be interested to know some avereage east coast land values. When your land is 50,000 per acre 20 years from now just think what an investment you could have made right now. Land they are not making any more of it!

Sucks you lost your spot.
frown.gif

Farmland here in southern Michigan is anywhere from $15 - 35,000 an acre depending on whether you are 10 minutes or 40 minutes from the closest good sized City. And..the best part, good luck trying to kill a buck over 3.5 yrs old on any of it, battle all kinds of tesspassers each and every year, and pay a ton of property taxes. Put in 50 hours in the field each year for (if your lucky) 10 sheds the largest being maybe 50". MIShedhntr

Oh yes, I know this story well. Have good friend. Good friend likes your hunting land. Turns out good friend really wasn't so good after all. As the saying goes: "conflict doesn't develop character...it REVEALS it". The guy's a complete jerk. Now if he gets a couple trail camera photos of big bucks on the property and emails them to you just to rub it in your face, you'll have an idea of how low a person can be. Been there - done that. Move on...the real friends are nearby.

NWBuck

And I can't scratch up 2-300 an acre for prime stuff. I hate to say it but you guys have it bad in the real estate situation.
blush.gif

This is making me depressed. I don't want to talk about the land prices in Iowa anymore.
frown.gif

I wish I could afford one tree on a nice ridge, and a 40 yd radius circle around that tree and a way to get in and out of it.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could afford one tree on a nice ridge, and a 40 yd radius circle around that tree and a way to get in and out of it.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear that. Ground around where I hunt has been going for 3500-5000 an acre. I still have hope the powerball will help me out
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean you won't keep an eye on the place for me?

[/ QUOTE ]
dont tell me your the guy
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would put your name in your profile I would know if this is the guy or not.

People I know who one of the leasers is.
Im not here to burn bridges. Just kind of odd he asked where I hunted and if I seen any nice bucks where I hunted (Obviously I live in Southern Iowa) and then the best track of timber in the square gets leased up
confused.gif

Just a little odd and my speculation was that he asked last yr but he was to late because there was already permission given to others that yr.

Post was in fun and like I said some good things come to a end.

Hunted the farm for 3 yrs and know what is on there and have some great video of some average deer and some not so average that have been killed off this farm by the guys who Shotgun hunted.

Lately nothing not to great beens they have hunted it hard shotgun season last couple yrs because they to have lost out on some ground.

Hopefully I can meet up with the new hunter on the farm and work with him and myself.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bridge is probably burnt and in ashes at the bottom of the gulch.

My post was tongue in cheek.

Sorry to say I'm not the guy the mob is looking to string up!

[ QUOTE ]
My post was tongue in cheek.

Sorry to say I'm not the guy the mob is looking to string up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just running with it also.
grin.gif

Hopefully he will PM me if it is because there are A LOT of people who come and go on that ground and lets just say they wont care if he leases it or not.

Would I be willing to help in out. Sure beens I can see it from my porch.

There is a small part of me that makes me happy this gentleman leased it because Ive talked to him, heard his views and might actually improve the quality of deer in the area.

Shotgun hunters that hunted it and the other 2 that bowhunted it with me, if it was brown it is down, they shot a nice one great but if 5 1.5yr olds came out they were going in the back of the truck.

This could work out to my benefit also.

My wife and I are looking into buying land within a year and a banker told me to wait about a year and a half; he said large debt and little savings is going to catch up with a lot of people when things begin to slow down, economically speaking.

Sounds like your banker might be looking for ground too.
grin.gif
You have two options....save till your near retirement and have enough to put a large chunk of cash towards ground and deplete your savings, or take on some debt now and when you are near retirement, it will be paid for. I would rather have the burden of payments now than wait another 20 years and see the prices even higher. Find a good bank that will lock in your rates or get a piece and put a trailer on it as a 2nd home so you can get a home loan on it. People get into problems with loans that have an interest rate that varies every year.....you can see that now in the housing industry.

KSQ,

I think your banker is wrong, I would buy as soon as possible. The prices will not come down, they will keep climbing. The old cliche, "Wait to buy real estate or buy real estate and wait"... I think Silvertip gave you some sound advice.

KSQ2- I wonder what your banker said a couple years ago? If you buy now and land doesn't appreciate at all over the next couple years- the worst you have done is taken what might have been spent on lease payments and put a % into equity on your own ground. If the worst decline imaginable came about in the next couple years you'd look pretty smart waiting- otherwise buying land is like planting trees- the best time to do it always seems like 10 years ago.

Top Bottom