Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll take a stab at that. Some reasons are have more impact & importance than others.
1) a Buck Oct 1st has a far smaller chance of living through the season & becoming mature VS a buck in Jan that's still alive. Obvious issue of time/calendar.
2) Does are often far developed & pregnant in Jan vs not pregnant much of earlier like Oct.
3) Taking them early allows less competition & stress during rut times, fall feeding, etc.
4) Do you beleive there's a point where the animals "deserve a break"? Hunting them in late January is putting added stress to an animal that's been chased for 3.5 months. This very easily could be a stress breaking point of death or simply further physical degradation.

QUESTION FOR YOU.... Would you be ok with season going until March 1? How about all year long?? If not, why not?????

5) Our "advised" quotas or DNR harvest "wishes" have been met by Sometime in dec (on avg) in most counties. The reason our season continues is because Farm Bureau successfully lobbied Brandstad that "DNR recommended goals, accompanied by hunter satisfaction & thorough biological backing" should not be accepted and far greater deer should be shot (according to FB & Brandstad- both biological experts).

6) Killing them in Oct- you know it's a buck- called in as a buck. Highly limited buck harvest for obvious reasons. Killing buck without horns does not require buck tag and goes in face against the limited buck harvest DNR sets.

I could go on but obviously others can throw other solid biological reasons as well

So shooting a doe before it becomes pregnant effects things more then shooting one that is? Either way it wont have fawns. And if you planned on killing a deer anyways it wont make it weather its shot in October or January. And what do you mean by taking one early causes less stress and compitition during rut? Its nature. Weather you shoot a buck early or late there will still be stress and compitition. It all cycles back to "Mature" bucks. That is all people are after. Everyone thinks that if they follow all these steps that they see on T.V. they will have 200" deer walking all over their ground. We dont do any managment at all and have a group come in shotgun hunting that will shoot bucks or does (I dont participate in this group) and we are getting card pulls with 170+ deer every 2 weeks. People think that they can play more role then they can in producing large bucks.

I think there is a respect issue that could be pointed out as well within this whole season of shooting antlerless deer. I understand that some hunters don't care if they shoot a buck or a doe, they are there for the meat. No problem there. And let's pretend that the late antlerless is the ONLY season they could make it out for whatever reason. Fine by me. BUT, if YOU don't care whether you shoot a doe or shed buck and all you are wanting is the meat, at least have the respect to consider other hunters who may in fact care whether they shoot a doe or buck. A lot of people have put in lots of time and money to monitor, grow and provide a "home" for large caliber bucks. If you don't care, fine, but at least think about the people that do. It's like me walking into your kitchen, making a sandwich and leaving a mess behind. What does it matter to me? All I wanted was the sandwich and I got that, not realizing (or caring) that I screwed you in the process.

See, I think a poll of the hunters out there would find a season going close to February is ridiculous. Why you won't answer is the point I'm making.... There's a long list of flaws by having a rifle season in the 2nd half of January. It also shows why it's flawed logic of "what does it matter if killed in Oct, Jan or June?". If it doesn't matter, than we should have season into March or never close it. There's specific reasons why most states close by Jan 1 and a host of problems folks are demonstrating here having a season past that, especially when it involves rifles, shed bucks, stressed deer, group hunting, etc.

& above Doesn't account for fact that season has accomplished Dnr goal. Dnr & hunters (surveyed) want it done for host of reasons & problems. Fundamentally- do u agree with FB or Dnr?

Last edited:
I just find it ironic that people complaining about having this season also take part in it, and I'm still confused about the hunting deer all year long point. What does that have to do with the price of bacon in China?

I just find it ironic that people complaining about having this season also take part in it, and I'm still confused about the hunting deer all year long point. What does that have to do with the price of bacon in China?

OK... So, if it doesn't matter when a buck or doe is shot... Oct, Jan, March, WHATEVER.... If there's NO DIFFERENCE, why not just keep the season open all year long OR March 1 for example.

Sligh1 said:
OK... So, if it doesn't matter when a buck or doe is shot... Oct, Jan, March, WHATEVER.... If there's NO DIFFERENCE, why not just keep the season open all year long OR March 1 for example.

Because then the divorce rate would be 80 percent, nobody would work, and there would be no time for fishing. :)

I think there is a respect issue that could be pointed out as well within this whole season of shooting antlerless deer. I understand that some hunters don't care if they shoot a buck or a doe, they are there for the meat. No problem there. And let's pretend that the late antlerless is the ONLY season they could make it out for whatever reason. Fine by me. BUT, if YOU don't care whether you shoot a doe or shed buck and all you are wanting is the meat, at least have the respect to consider other hunters who may in fact care whether they shoot a doe or buck. A lot of people have put in lots of time and money to monitor, grow and provide a "home" for large caliber bucks. If you don't care, fine, but at least think about the people that do. It's like me walking into your kitchen, making a sandwich and leaving a mess behind. What does it matter to me? All I wanted was the sandwich and I got that, not realizing (or caring) that I screwed you in the process.

Im not saying go out and hunt whereever you want and shoot em up. Im saying if you own land or a land owner tells you that they just want deer taken then I say go for it. All though it does annoy me how people get mad that someone shoots a deer that they have been after because they have "Put in the hours". Its called hunting for a reason. Too many people these days think they own the deer that they have seen on their hunting properties. Im not pointing fingers or anything and I understand that it is a completley different subject it just seems to happen alot these days. The same reason that it seems to be nearly impossible for some people to find ground to hunt with out having to lease it out. Luckily Im from an area were thats not the case.

To me there is a deer season and and off season, and the deer season should end on December 31!!! Ok, if you want to go muzzleloader into January, probably not a major deal.

High powered rifles and the possibility of shooting bucks (that Iowa tries to protect with the December gun season and the limit on NR buck tags) doesn't add up.

As a NR landowner, this season is an insult. i pay $500+ for a tag once in 3 years, and some of you guys think it is not big deal to shoot a buck(without horns) on a cheap doe tag.

If you don't mind more bucks shot, than get on the NR landowner buck tag bandwagon with us!!

Skip actually has a valid point, and originally I don't think the DNR really gave it much thought as to when the season would end or the impact it would cause on our deer herd and with their "goals" in mind it actually wouldn't make a difference as to when the does were shot. There are several problems with "doe" seasons in general, one of those being the shed bucks, but even if they made them earlier in the season, you're still going to have those who overharvest does which is because the county quotas are still too high. There would also be the temptation to shoot bucks. If people want to shoot does, just have them buy doe tags for the regular deer hunting seasons, and chip away at the quotas that way. I'd actually be ok with our late muzz season ending 12/31.

Deer season starts in Iowa in mid September and ends in mid January. That's 5 months of deer hunting (almost half a year!), seems like a little bit of overkill when you think about it doesn't it? I figure once January hits, and they've survived the youth season, archery season, the brown its down season, and late muzz, then they deserve a break. By then the does are already carrying next year's fawns which there could be a future monster in there and more does to create future monsters. We need to remember that without does, there are no deer, which is the bigger issue overall. Shooting shed bucks is just another minor consequence of a late season but from a trophy hunting prospective it is devastating.

Hardwood11 said:
As a NR landowner, this season is an insult. i pay $500+ for a tag once in 3 years, and some of you guys think it is not big deal to shoot a buck(without horns) on a cheap doe tag.

500 dollars every 3 years! That's only $166.67 a year! Chicken feed!

Im not saying go out and hunt whereever you want and shoot em up. Im saying if you own land or a land owner tells you that they just want deer taken then I say go for it. All though it does annoy me how people get mad that someone shoots a deer that they have been after because they have "Put in the hours". Its called hunting for a reason. Too many people these days think they own the deer that they have seen on their hunting properties. Im not pointing fingers or anything and I understand that it is a completley different subject it just seems to happen alot these days. The same reason that it seems to be nearly impossible for some people to find ground to hunt with out having to lease it out. Luckily Im from an area were thats not the case.
It is bullshat though that you can hunt a deer hard for months, with a bow, or muzzleloader, come close but not get him...or..pass on bucks that aren't mature time after time...and they get hit by a car..or worse...some jack off with a rifle thinks he's shooting a big doe about 300 yards away. One is an accident, the other is just f'n stupid.

I like the later seasons. It is so warm in september/October and you have to rush them to a locker, which are usually closed when I can hunt on the weekend.... Later seasons let us kill the does we want without having to worry about them rotting. And you can't get venison at the grocery store. And please let me know what store sells 50+ pounds of meat for the price of a tag. Or even $100!!!!

My wife would freak out if I told her what a lbs of venison costs us!!!! :)
I MIGHT have a ballpark if I had to guess in MY EXAMPLE....
-Bow thats sweet & loaded every 5 years, $300/year. Arrows, bullets, cleaning, maintanence, new clothes, sprays, shampoo- $300 a year guess.
-Gas - $1,500 a year for me easy.
(I'll leave out disgusting amounts on food plots, land costs, taxes, housing, etc- because I think if my wife somehow saw that, she'd be reminded & cause night on couch!)
-Tags- $150
-Cameras, batteries, treestands, blinds, etc- averaged out, $500 per year.
THE LIST WOULD GO ON & ON and I'll keep it this short so it can't ever be used against me! :)
Not to mention the 100 hours I pry spend on it that I could be working earning some more $.

TOTAL (VERY VERY VERY Conservative): $2,750
3 deer we keep- 150 lbs meat a year roughly = $18.33 per lbs. If it were really about the meat, I am thinking that ground beef & flank steak on sale for $2.99 & $5.99 is looking a little more attractive. :)

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm kind of bummed when someone shoots a buck I've been after, makes no difference if it's shed or not at that point, nor whether they shot it was an arrow or bullet.

Unfortunately I don't own enough ground to protect/prevent it from happening.

Yea Skip, I am right there with ya!
Those are 'hobby' expenses though, not meat expenses.....
I am still trying to figure out how the $3K or so I spent this year on my new hobby called trapping is being handled by the wife??? She is not too impressed with my $168 in fur checks so far. Just telling her it was a slow year for coon and will get better!

I've hunted the season 3 times and seen a couple shed bucks shot unintentionally.

My take is that the season was intended to be temporary to get the deer herd under control. Now that we are at that point, it's time to end the season.

The biggest draw is the southern 2 tiers of counties to shoot a rifle in.

Yea Skip, I am right there with ya!
Those are 'hobby' expenses though, not meat expenses.....
I am still trying to figure out how the $3K or so I spent this year on my new hobby called trapping is being handled by the wife??? She is not too impressed with my $168 in fur checks so far. Just telling her it was a slow year for coon and will get better!

Hello there, umm, I would like to ask you if you need any other trapping supplies? Because I would be glad to sell them to you. :grin:

And I thought I had a problem...I only spent a couple hundred getting back into trapping.:grin:

Top Bottom