Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you really reading what I said or are you skimming through it, dreaming up how you could possibly interpret it??? for instance, I didn't call you a moron, I specifically said (not talking about you). I don't know you. I was making a very general reference and even took 5 seconds to specifically say I wasn't talking about you, GEEEEESH!!!!!!

"More deer than I needed to", how would you know? "Needed to eat"?? I guess that's how you define it??? COULD IT HAVE POSSIBLY BEEN..... NEEDED TO KILL OFF THIS PARTICULAR FARM FOR BIOLOGICAL REASONING & THE NEED OF ANOTHER FAMILY???? Which is EXACTLY why I killed the # I did. I had one farm in a "rare" pocket where I cannot keep the deer #'s in check without aggressive harvest during bow season- exactly what I did. Kept 3. NO- THESE WERE NOT 3 BUCKS!!! Gave some others away. I had 2 other farms I killed 1 doe off of and another I killed zero. Farm dependant. Isn't just about "what I'm going to eat" that defines need. It was understanding the farms, neighborhood, ratios & fulfilling some friend's needs properly (in my opinion) - legally during bow season. You can do the same thing. & yes, you can legally shoot em with a rifle on Jan 20 as well BUT that's up for debate, FB & folks with your point of view have "won the battle". I give it to you!

Skip, do you enjoy sitting on a computer and arguing? Just wondering. Figured you were smart enough to realize that you aren't going to change anyones opinion on the internet. I learned that awhile back.

You have your opinion. Great. Thanks for sharing it....we get it. :way:

***ANSWERED & ANSWERING U BELOW BUT.... Please, I don't want to make this about myself. Can we please steer this back to your opinion, your experience & talk about the process of where we are today & where we'll be next year with this season. I TRULY DO NOT WANT THIS, AT ALL, TO BE ABOUT ME & I ASK YOU DISCUSS QUESTION AT HAND or simply vote on poll or look at results of poll. THX!

Contrary to above BUT to answer ur question about ME to end that part & get bacj on track with the real discussion..
Takes 2 to tango. Ya, I'm at a meeting, bored out of my frigin mind!!! :D If I don't change some minds, partially it's all good & fun. & come on Chris "you quite arguing"???? :rolleyes: :grin:
I'm passionate about 2-3 things when it comes to deer, OBVIOUSLY. I get a few times when it's INTERESTING to debate them. Others enjoy debate. I am not arguing & i don't take the personal bait like some do when they argue (which no, I don't like that part- personal attacks- get REALLY SICK OF THAT!!!). I'll tell you what I do & most the guys I know that are hardcore do.... Most occasionally might argue with things like these. Most tire & say "whatever, I really don't care" (and often they don't care) "I am gonna have my own farm, manage it however I want, if someone else makes a choice that destroys his/her hunting, kills off most the deer, kills off most the young bucks, etc - WHATEVER, I DON'T CARE". Personally, that's about where I'm at. I'm concerned about the state. I'm concerned about other's hunting & the choices the DNR & politicians make. I get "somewhat active" and when I'm bored at a meeting, sure a good outlet! BUT- no, it honestly doesn't affect me much & likely - I'll pry get tired of "arguing" & likely do my own thing, managing my farm how I want to & if regs change to some "whacked out thing", in my opinion (like Rifles in Nov or whatever was mentioned) - I'll just do all I can to insulate myself from it. Isn't this how most of us deal with things, like Politics for example??? Ok, Obama's in, he can screw things up (which he will) and I'll just go on with life, shut up eventually about it or for the most part- & just try and insulate myself from it. That's at least how I am

Last edited:
Which goes clear back to my first post. Not everyone that deer hunts is out there for the trophy. Some people actually go out to enjoy it and could care less about a trophy. When in what seems to be your case you are out there to shoot something to brag to your buddies about, other people are out there to actually enjoy time with friends. So weather they get a "Congrats" on a big buck or a "Congrats" on anything else they will still know that they had a blast doing it.

It's not that freaking hard of concept. Shoot does....when the risk of shooting shed bucks is minimal....secondly...my buddy shot a doe today....at 40 yards...I was happy for him....we celebrated. I don't give a crap if people shoot does...I do most years. Just end this ridiculous season. It was never a good idea. Farm bureau sucks donkey nuggets. It's a hard on deer...hard on mature bucks. They should at the least limit it to residents of the county.....I am betting much fewer ahed bucks would get shot that way. Hell...maybe not..last year the kid on here posted about blastinf two.."does". I think for his age he is a good hunter...but mistakea happen durinf thia shitshow of a season. What did all you starving folks do before rifle season came about?

It's not that freaking hard of concept. Shoot does....when the risk of shooting shed bucks is minimal....secondly...my buddy shot a doe today....at 40 yards...I was happy for him....we celebrated. I don't give a crap if people shoot does...I do most years. Just end this ridiculous season. It was never a good idea. Farm bureau sucks donkey nuggets. It's a hard on deer...hard on mature bucks. They should at the least limit it to residents of the county.....I am betting much fewer ahed bucks would get shot that way. Hell...maybe not..last year the kid on here posted about blastinf two.."does". I think for his age he is a good hunter...but mistakea happen durinf thia shitshow of a season. What did all you starving folks do before rifle season came about?

So from the sounds of it you don't care about deer numbers as a whole. You just care about buck numbers. Shooting a doe does the same thing to deer numbers as shooting bucks does. Sounds like you need to buy some land and builf yourself a nice high fence and put some feed bunks in it. That would make your hunting experience ideal for what your after...

So from the sounds of it you don't care about deer numbers as a whole. You just care about buck numbers. Shooting a doe does the same thing to deer numbers as shooting bucks does. Sounds like you need to buy some land and builf yourself a nice high fence and put some feed bunks in it. That would make your hunting experience ideal for what your after...

Your reading comprehension sucks ...are you from Missouri? I said in uears past I have shot does...TODAY MY FRIEND DID...on a farm where I HAVE GOOD DOE NUMBERS...I care about areas I don't hunt too. The season is nothing more than a favor to FARM BUREAU. I despise high fence hunting..I take pride in doing my homework...and shooting big bucks with a bow or muzzleloader....not just rounding them up and blazing away indiscriminately. Maybe you shouldn't call what you do hunting....just call it a reaping....herd em up and blast. See..I can jump ti conclusions just like you. Probably not accurate...but doesn't stop you.

Your reading comprehension sucks ...are you from Missouri? I said in uears past I have shot does...TODAY MY FRIEND DID...on a farm where I HAVE GOOD DOE NUMBERS...I care about areas I don't hunt too. The season is nothing more than a favor to FARM BUREAU. I despise high fence hunting..I take pride in doing my homework...and shooting big bucks with a bow or muzzleloader....not just rounding them up and blazing away indiscriminately. Maybe you shouldn't call what you do hunting....just call it a reaping....herd em up and blast. See..I can jump ti conclusions just like you. Probably not accurate...but doesn't stop you.

Have you read my past posts? I have stated several times that I don't partake in this season. You must have missed that part every time I said it.

And in my defense have you read that lasy post that you wrote? Im not sure anyone would be able to comprehend that last part...

One thing that is encouraging to me......
*& yes, I understand this is not a scientific poll & folks on here are stereotypically similar in many ways BUT....

109 believe season should be ended as intended
4 believe the season should continue.

Then, you combine that with what the DNR's position is on this season and what they claim the "general public's" support goes towards- the season going away.... I'm at least optimistic for the future. Sure hope folks are taking the good fight (with reasoning, facts, respect & PASSION) to FARM BUREAU!!!

Why does it matter....you post without comprehending what I am saying....or jumping to your own conclusions.

Much like you just did on this post right? If that's how you feel then take your argument somewhere that it counts. Not a forum were people voice there opinion then you immediately proced to tell them why they are wrong and you are right? You aren't going to change someones views preaching over a website. Especially when you insult them first.

Jake...I think the insults and insinuations were going both ways. Anyway...glad you don't partake in the mess that is late antlerless.

I got a text from my brother last night. He had just shot a big shed buck and was tickled to death as he loves venison and barely ever gets a chance to get out due to his family and work commitments. He is pretty sure it was the nice non-typical he had been getting pictures of at the oak tree in his back yard. He could care less that it was a buck, and no, he won't be looking for the sheds. He could care less about those too.
Should he have let it pass so someone else could have shot it'd next year? love you to try and tell him that!!!

Jake...I think the insults and insinuations were going both ways. Anyway...glad you don't partake in the mess that is late antlerless.

If I insulated you or anyone I apologize. Honestly. It was not intend. If you don't mind me asking what area of the state are you hunting and have you noticed any change in deer numbers? Either up or down?

One thing that is encouraging to me......
*& yes, I understand this is not a scientific poll & folks on here are stereotypically similar in many ways BUT....

109 believe season should be ended as intended
4 believe the season should continue.
Like going to a Democrat caucus and asking the Republicans present to raise their hand. :rolleyes:

Don't take me wrong, I'm just discussing this.

I could care less either way on whether this season ends or not, mostly because it has ended in the areas I hunt and odds are that I'll never travel to those areas where it is still going on.

If I insulated you or anyone I apologize. Honestly. It was not intend. If you don't mind me asking what area of the state are you hunting and have you noticed any change in deer numbers? Either up or down?

Sw Iowa....numbers are down overall, but just a scarcity of mature bucks. Don't get me wrong...some big ones fell...Hell..I even got a decent one...but for as much time as I spent out...and the hours my friends put in....it was the worst year we have had for mature bucks...even dinks....we attribute it not only to ehd, which would kill does as well, but to shed buck season. We all had stories told to us by guys who think it's funny that they shot a big buck without antlers. We consider them dumbasses..and less than hunters.

Man have I enjoyed reading this thread.............. I just cannot help but think why poachers never voice there concern on having a shed buck shot????????????

Man have I enjoyed reading this thread.............. I just cannot help but think why poachers never voice there concern on having a shed buck shot????????????

I am sure this season makes poaching whatever is left with antlera...much easier.....rifle.

I don't like seeing mature deer taken poached or shed out. I live in the 3rd worst county typicaly for deer harvested. I have to drive to hunt decent public 50 miles away to try for a 4 year old. I think this thread got off course...... It is abaout a season titled poorly "shed Buck" season............. It is animosity like this that is going to hurt all "hunters in the end" GUN AMMO CONTROL........... Yet another thread.............

I got a text from my brother last night. He had just shot a big shed buck and was tickled to death as he loves venison and barely ever gets a chance to get out due to his family and work commitments. He is pretty sure it was the nice non-typical he had been getting pictures of at the oak tree in his back yard. He could care less that it was a buck, and no, he won't be looking for the sheds. He could care less about those too.
Should he have let it pass so someone else could have shot it'd next year? love you to try and tell him that!!!

i think this exactly expresses what's going on & where the opposing vs supporting views come from. let's be clear- there are 2 strong opinioned groups on 2 sides of this and thank you for expressing a real, fair & honest take of the other position and results from it. clear illustration of the reality that is in every back yard/neighborhood & helps give a clear example of what we all should consider while making up our opinions on what's best for the state's management & deer herd.

Top Bottom