Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

License Increase

I just read this on another forum Is this true
I found this while researching a bill that was introduced in the Iowa Senate regarding concealed carry permits. This is Senate File 125 Introduced on Monday, Feb 4th. It is a bill that would basically increase all the hunting and fishing license fees. For instance the proposed cost of a resident hunting license would increase from 19 to 23.50. Deer tags would go from 24.50 to 35.50. Turkey tags would go to 27.50. I know the DNR is in need of funding and even with the price increases it is still pretty darn cheap given the amount of recreation most people get from a year of hunting and fishing but some of these increase seem a bit harsh. Especially since there is no talk of increases to non-resident prices. I wouldnt mind the prices so much if I was seeing some actual return on my investment when it comes to wildlife habitat in Iowa. And i fear we could potentially be pricing some people right out of the sport. If I were to buy all the licenses that I purchased last year on these new prices it would total to $194.00 and I only buy 2 deer tags. I know many states are no where near these prices for resident licenses.

My point is not to state a debate necessarily but to inform and let you all contact your reps with your opinon on it either way. Here is what is proposed:

Im not sure why the prices that are struck out are the prices before the last increase but you can at least see the new proposed prices.

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-...&Service=Billbook&menu=true&ga=85&hbill=SF125

license

I dont have a problem paying a little more myself either but what about the out fo state hunters?? Does not mention anything about a increase for out of state residence,How about make them pay more if they want to hunt Iowa's trophy bucks that hide behind every tree in the state make them pay for it

If you don't like it go to Missouri. You can buy 2 nonresident archery deer tags and 2 turkey tags for a total of $225.00. I pay about $700.00 with the pref. points for a 1 deer tag in Iowa and I own the farm.

If the DNR needs money, why not make EVERYBODY that uses the habitat buy a habitat stamp? Hunters are not the only ones using the habitat.

Doesn't bother me much, I'd pay $35 for both of my anysex tags. Make the doe tags $100. How bad do you want to shoot a slickhead? Also, raise the non-resident price too.

The NR tags are the highest in the nation and you want to increase it more? A shotgun doe tag is $353, I can't get an archery doe tag for 3 years. No surprise to me that Ehd hit, if you want to manage the herd properly you need to offer reasonably priced to doe tags for R and NR.

Hardwood11 said:
The NR tags are the highest in the nation and you want to increase it more? A shotgun doe tag is $353, I can't get an archery doe tag for 3 years. No surprise to me that Ehd hit, if you want to manage the herd properly you need to offer reasonably priced to doe tags for R and NR.

EHD has nothing to do with herd management. The herd is at or below goal in most counties, no pressure on the NR hunter to come kill does.

Probably wouldn't raise res. fees if we could get that 3/8 of a cent sales tax increase implemented. The whole state voted in favor of it a couple years ago and there it sits. Contact your state reps. and senators about this issue and license fees will never go up again.

I don't have a problem with a rate increase. Anyone could easily spend that money on a night out with their family. Considering as much as we pay for hunting equipment, this seems pretty minimal to me for what you get out of it. How many nights did you spend in a tree last year?

However, there needs to be some serious debate on how DNR funding and money is allocated. I heard what I will say is a rumor because I haven't had the time to look up any facts on it or find out any of the details, but a friend of mine said that something like 7 million of an 8 or 9 million dollar budget for Iowa DNR lake restoration was taken and put into the general fund? I don't know how this is funded (liscences, or stamps etc...), but I'm more concerned with our state government continuously stealing funding from conservation programs.

The problem is the majority of the places the deer are congregated you cant get permission to hunt

It wouldn't bother me if the price jumped a little but I would like to see what they are doing with the money. In ten years if things keep going they way they are there won't be any habitat around my area anyways. It's pretty sad but I guess there's always fishing. And even if the habitat in your area isnt getting pushed in for farming, unless you own your own ground it will effect you eventually. You think leasing is bad now, wait 5 or 10 years when the "farmable" timbers are all pushed in the central and northern 2/3s of the state. It's coming.

Like ground leased up and bought by out of staters?

exactly right, they buy huge parcels of land and have hundreds of deer on their properties and showup for a few days of the year to shoot a trophy buck and not grant anyone permission to even step foot on their ground and then complain about all the does they are seeing.

Top Bottom