Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Million Dollar Rain

Elitebowhunter

Much of the western and southwestern portion of the state got some good rains last night. I picked up 2'' at my place. Huge sigh of relief from farmers since we had not received more than a half inch since the end of April.

Iowa City area got around 0.4" last night. It's a start and hopefully more coming later this week.

Where do you guys go to look at rainfal amounts? I've been trying to find a web source of this for a long time now.

WKP - Todd said:
Where do you guys go to look at rainfal amounts? I've been trying to find a web source of this for a long time now.

www.weather.gov

If you click on your region, then go to climate, then you can narrow it down by the citiies, date & time. New reports don't hit until about 12:30 am for the previous day however. It will give you precip amounts, wind speeds etc. We use it during the winter primarily to know wind speeds and snow totals, but it does the same for rain. You can look up all archived data as well.

RAin

Another site is national doppler radar, pull up Iowa and then scroll down on the left side it will give a color showing how much rain from the most recent storm. It seems to be pretty accurate, but sometimes it is tough to line up your particular farm to the map for accuracy.

Here in AL 4 inches over the weekend but a couple hours down the road in Mobile/Pensacola 15 inches !!!!!! Our peanuts and cotton were hurting bad prior.

Checked the rain guage, but, I have the Weatherbug app on my phone and it also tells me.. I had .25" and Weatherbug says .23" so it was pretty close

5846-todd.png

here you go todd.

Less than .30 all of may had a 1/4 inch this last rain Federal Crop ins will be the only income for alot of farmers in my area. Two more weeks of this and it will be too late.

Less than .30 all of may had a 1/4 inch this last rain Federal Crop ins will be the only income for alot of farmers in my area. Two more weeks of this and it will be too late.

This may sound like a stupid question, but most farmers have those big sprayers...what if they just loaded one of those tanks up with water and drove their fields giving their crops water that way? You'd have the added cost of fuel but seems like a better alternative than losing the crop.

SEIowaDeerslayer said:
This may sound like a stupid question, but most farmers have those big sprayers...what if they just loaded one of those tanks up with water and drove their fields giving their crops water that way? You'd have the added cost of fuel but seems like a better alternative than losing the crop.

One inch of rain is like 27000 gallons per acre I believe. Thats alot of passes with a sprayer.

One inch of rain is like 27000 gallons per acre I believe. Thats alot of passes with a sprayer.

That's what I figured. Doesn't make much sense to do that then. Maybe if we're in for a few super dry summers they'll start having to invest in those big irrigation systems.

Top Bottom