Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MN hunters sue Scentlok

Re: MN hunters sue Scentlok and Scentblocker

I agree that a lot of people bought it before they realized it was bogus. I was one of them. I think the point of this lawsuit is that there are more people everyday buying it because they don't know it is bogus. Anyone who thinks the guys who filed the suit are trying to make a quick buck do not understand the system. I don't think the guys who filed the suit are trying to get rich, and in fact just the opposite is true. It looks ot me like they are spending a LOT of their own money because of a sense of justice. I am no attorney here but here's what I see happening: This will become a class action lawsuit where each and every person who has bought the stuff will be offered some kind of a settlement. It will proboably be a nominal amount and not worth filing the paperwork, but enough people will do it to cost them a lot of money. Additionally, they will be court ordered to stop saying what they have been saying about it, and that alone will probably be enough to put an end to sales, plus the negative publicity that they get in the outdoor media from the suit. It will likely be the end of the product as we know it. Worst case scenario for those involved will be some jail time if the court finds that they knowingly made statements about the product's effectiveness that they knew to be untrue. I have no doubt that that's the case but we'll have to see what the court says. That's fraud and some people may serve some time over it.

It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out over the next couple years. I applaud the four guys who are willing to step up and take on this huge bogus money machine at their own expense. All hunters owe them a debt of gratitude.

I beleive in a class action suit like this you will only be able to recoup money that you spent on the product, much like the lawsuit that Microsoft lost in Iowa last year. You had to have proof of purchasing the software to get the settlement, which basically resulted to a refund.

It is all advertising! I think the buyer beware statement is true, but again to each their own!

I saw a mathews commercial this morning*please note this is not intended to pick on mathews* that had keys to becoming a better shooter!! They gave two or three tips and then said "and most importantly, shoot a Mathews to become a better shooter!" Hell, Maybe I should go get a mathews, If it makes me better great, if it doesn't, I'll just sue them for saying it! (and buy more pse's!)
evil.gif
evil.gif

I think the lawsuit is a joke! If they have enough money laying around to challenge a major corperation on a silly suit, then maybe they should buy a few thousand acres and donate it to Iowawhitetail so we can all hunt it!

If all the smells don't seem to bother deer than why do we bother with DEAD DOWN WIND, and CODE BLUE, and all that stuff..... They may not all work, but some of it does!

Not trying to argue here, just saying that it is all marketing, it is all about sales. This industry has been going this way for a while and it is gonna keep going!!

I'll be back in a bit, I have to run take my Chlorophyll pills!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that a lot of people bought it before they realized it was bogus. I was one of them....Anyone who thinks the guys who filed the suit are trying to make a quick buck do not understand the system. I don't think the guys who filed the suit are trying to get rich... All hunters owe them a debt of gratitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't owe these jack asses anything! I was never naive enough to fall for the B.S. crap they were pedaling and I did zero research! Step away from the kool-aid and realize you got taken because of your own bad judgment. Thousands of companies make false statements every day. Its marketing, you can't stop it. If you fall into their little web and believe everything you hear then shame on you.

Ghost

You are the man at finding this stuff
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

I read a lot of it, but didn't get through all of it. I have to rush off to my court date for myself and all Iowans! I purchased that Axe Body spray and wore it for the last 6 months, and NOT ONCE did I have aamazingly gorgeous supermodel Jump across a table and rip my clothes of! Nor did I get and Wild Hanky Panky in an elevator with a Beautiful long legged under-dressed hotty!!!! AND I HAD SUCH HIGH HOPES!!!!!
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif

Okay, I'll try and stop now!

Dude...the Axe Body spray really works, I seen me do it!
evil.gif

Skully,

I understand your point and I am by no means an advocate of our lawsuit happy legal system. However, in this instance I do believe that this may be a legitimate lawsuit against a most likely non-legitimate product. My only beef with this lawsuit is that the attorneys will most likely make more off of it than any of the consumers who bought the products. Ghost, keep us all informed in the future as you usually do.

Good luck to everyone this season and let's all work hard to get it done.

P.S. - I have never owned any carbon based clothing, a little too spendy for my tastes.

I guess I am a believer in Scentlok as I bagged last year's buck at 7 yards wearing one (Scentlok Savanna).

I have not fallen ito the scent lok hype either. Nor do I think that the advertising between something like Axe Bodyspray (that is tounge and cheek humor,) and the onslought of paid celebs telling hunters how great this product is and how easily it is to "reactivate" the carbon, are comparable. Look at it from a different stand. If you were shopping for a new vehicle and found 2 comparable cars made by different automakers. You are looking for the best mas milage. One car advertises 22 mpg and the other 38 mpg. You buy the one advertising the 38. You do all you can and only can get 29. Are you going to be a little miffed? So say now you are a guy who loves to hunt and spend some fat cash on some carbon suit that advertises that you can "reactivate" by throwing in your dryer. You later read how scientifically this is impossible. Wouldn't you feel a bit ripped off? I know I would have. Also I don't think that the Lawyers are making anything from the individual, they would get paid by winning the case as part of the settlment. Atleast I believe that is how a suit such as this works. I agree also that allot of these B.S. lawsuits need to stop, i.e. the Hot Coffe fiasco. But in a situation such as this where a company is seriously advertising that their product does something it can't, shouldn't something be done?

AA Archery if you are selling or have sold this stuff, you might consider consulting your attorney before you post on this subject again.

Take it from a guy who has been through the legal wrigner after being taken by one of the largest sporting goods retailers in the US for $320,000. You gotta be really careful what you say on the internet. I settled out of court for $59,000 of the $380k they owed me in part because of some things I posted on a fishing website message board. If I hadn't said those things I would have probably gone through the court system and got most or all my money. You would be amazed how the smallest things can come back to haunt you.

its amazing to me how many 'experts' hold a certian opinion on these things and never set foot in the laboratory where they were actually developed.......

sheesh.....

i dont own a "scent suit", and my financial situation will probably not allow that in the near future. i am a complete believer in the wind and will always do my best to hunt the wind,
BUT
there is no evidence stating that these suits do not add a level of scent reduction.
as i said earlier, i think they can add to the arsenal, but will not make or break a hunt.
"forget the wind and just hunt" will never hold any truth with me.....
but i will take every advantage i can get in covering my scent.....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were in the lab?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were in the lab?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no, obviously not what i said, i just have a moderately open mind to the fact that there may some legitimacy to these things......
im not stating that they are junk without room to be educated.
i just think being so absolute is really not fair

[ QUOTE ]
im not stating that they are junk without room to be educated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then educate yourself. Before you post your opinions.

A good place to start is to read the court documents posted on this thread.

I am in no way supporting frivilous lawsuits and I'm not sure why some of you believe this is one. All you have to do is read page 40 and 41. Really all these guys are asking is for the court to stop Scent Lok from lying.

Additionally, whenever people start talking about frivilous lawsuits the subject of McDonalds coffee always comes up. How could someone be awarded millions for spilling coffee in their lap? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But when you get to the bottom of it, it starts to look a little different.

Despite the court system failing me, I still believe it is a darn good system and usually works well. Put yourself in that woman's shoes. Let's say it happened to you. You are at the McDonald's drive through and the coffee you just ordered is spilled in your lap because it is so hot that the cup and lid fails to hold together. You are seriously burned and have to go through months of painful agony, several unbleiveably painful surgeries on the most tender parts of your body, and when it is all said and done, there has been enough of your anatomy removed that you and your wife will never again be able to enjoy the pleasures of marriage.

Then you find out that the McDOnalds was repeatedly warned by officials that they were serving their coffee way too hot and someone was going to get seriously hurt; but they chose to ignore the warnings.

Now what seems like a fair settlement to you?

If Scent-Lok can back up their claims they should have nothing to worry about. I for one would like to know exactly where they get this information from. It should be interesting to say the least!

I'm the same way most of you guy's are.I see some of these lawsuits and it makes me want to puke.............

BUT, In this case I think these guys have a great suit.These people have been making millions off of hunters by selling lies.Not that I would like to see someone get rich from this but just for them to tell the truth about their product.Science is science!

I see that the Kisky board has banned all posts related to this topic. I suppose it's a little sensitive for their site due to there sponsorship from Scent-Lok. This could have a major impact on the endorsement/sponsorship deals within the industry. Drury's, Kisky's, Lakosky's, etc.

IOWA1

Actually we are not selling any of the suits this year! But may have them for sale next year. I personally believe they work, TO A DEGREE. I will be wearing mine as usual. Nothing will stop human odor completely, but I think every little bit helps! I am posting my opinions, much like everyone else.

We all have done our own research and I felt, and still feel I can justify the extra costs for this particular "gimmick"!

What has our world come to when you can be sued on your opinion.
If the Celebs that are advertising the suits do not believe they work, then why are the not listed in the suit! If these guys aren't out to make a buck, then why are they suing Cabelas and Bass Pro?

I can understand trying to get the company to stop producing the product but suing the Seller? Come on, that to me says, hey they have a lot of money, lets try and get some!

On another note, In my shop(and I can only speak for my shop) if you buy something and are completely unhappy, I would refund you! That is just good business. We don't know all the aspects of these guys and their lawsuit, but I wonder if they spoke to any of the companies? I just wonder why it has gone to this level! I have used a lot of products that did not perform as promised, Some I got screwed on, some I felt pleased with how it was handled, but haven't been to court yet! I just see this as another lawsuit to try and bring down a large corporation!

I also wonder HOW exactly they know there carbon suits didn't work! We they tested?

If things keep going this way, we will be seeing warnings on Plastic grocery bags that say "Do not place over head, Tie off and breath deeply. This could result in serious injury! If you do place over head and breath deeply consult Coroner immediately!"

I understand if people don't believe in the suits but for some of us, they have worked (in our opinions) and I will continue to wear mine and follow the instructions on how to use it! I believe that people are tricked into Many purcahses but if everyone sued everytime something went wrong we would have nothing left! It is impossible to satisfy the masses!

This like many "the bow you shoot" posts is all based on Opinions!

Another arguement this reminds me off is Spiked deer! Late developers or Genetic inferior deer???

The Good news is, tomorrow I'll be in Kentucky!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing how Scent Lok fought the Patent Office for about three years, to keep their (now) invalid patent - I suspect they will file several motions and appeals over this case - so it will not be done before 2-3 years.

This means they continue to sell products that science shows cannot work as they claim.

The Plaintiffs lawyers know this - and yet are willing to take on this case, at great expense, because they believe they can win.

I've read the complaint, and common sense tells me Scent Lok and the others will lose this case, because they violated consumer fraud laws in MN.

I can't believe Heins etc. and Merchant & Gould (one of the largest patent and trademark firms in the USA) would take this case on - unless they are very, very confident they can win.

The only way a law firm gets paid in this type of case - is by the loser - if they win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top Bottom