Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MN hunters sue Scentlok

Re: MN hunters sue Scentlok and Scentblocker

Well you know guys, I just saw a commercial from Dead Down Wind that claims to have a product that will re-activate the carbon in the suits back to new
grin.gif

I saw the comercial too. Made me wonder. I really began to wonder about the factual use of these garments after googling it and reading a few different "research" articles that disputed the possability of reactivation. I have saw videoes of the celebs getting busted in their stands and you can plainly see the yellow sheild on their jackets. Yes that doesn't happen often, but they are also smart hunters and know how to play the wind. I may be just as dense for HS Scents scent killer spray the last 3 years, but I make sure to take care of my cloths, boots and accesories, and I have truly only been winded twice in the last three years. Even with deer down wind. And that was wearing Walls brand coveralls and jackets. I have yet to find any published documentation of how activated carbon is regenerated. If someone finds some, please share.
http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

I am currently going to school at Iowa State and am taking a class called Principles of Environmental Engineering. This class mostly deals with water treatment, air pollutants, etc. It's very boring most of the time. However, one thing that caught my attention was talk about activated carbon. I just looked it up in my textbook, and activated carbon is regenerated by heating in the absence of oxygen. Keeping the oxygen levels very low prevents the activated carbon from burning. I could not find anything in the text about a specific temperature it must be heated to, it stated that "activated carbon can be restored by heating it in a furnace at a temperature sufficiently high to drive off the adsorbed organics." It goes on to explain about the low oxygen levels. If anyone is interested activated carbon is used in wastewater treatment, water treatment, and air pollution control.

[ QUOTE ]
I see that the Kisky board has banned all posts related to this topic. I suppose it's a little sensitive for their site due to there sponsorship from Scent-Lok. This could have a major impact on the endorsement/sponsorship deals within the industry. Drury's, Kisky's, Lakosky's, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about these Pros & the sponsorship. How many will still be on TV? How many will be taken seriously from now on? Then I was wondering what I should believe from these Pros. I bought a suit a couple of years ago because there were enough of these Pros saying that Scentlok works. Now I might have a $150 camo suit that is nothing more than...camo?

Here you go.

http://www.water.siemens.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Product_Lines/Westates_Carbon/Brochures/reactivated_carbon_q_and_a.pdf
http://www.chemvironcarbon.com/en/reactivation

http://www.onionenterprises.com/nws_June99.pdf

Here is site that lists many carbon reactivation companies. Call them up, I did. Be prepared for laughing when you ask them if carbon can be reactivated in homeowners' dryer.
grin.gif

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/carbon-reactivation-services-10685006-1.html

Here is the militarys info on carbon reactivation. Starts on 3-15
http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/design-guides/dg1110-1-2/chap3.pdf

I work with carbon filters everyday in water treatment. They are basically a big vessel with carbon in it that the water passes through. We use them to take chlorine out of the water. They are basically designed like a water softener and have a regeneration step. It sounds as if the carbon is being regenerated but it is actually just backflushing the bed with water so the bed fluffs up and activated carbon sites that are in the middle of the bed and unused due to improper water flow will be able to capture chlorine. once the bed is exhausted and unable to remove chlorine, it is then replaced with new. Companies could take it out and send it to another company that basically burns it at super high temps to reactivate it but it is way too expensive, so once it is used up, it is done and worthless. that is how I view carbon suits. Once the carbon is consumed, there really isnt anything you can do to it, to make it work again.

I'm guessing that all Scent-Lok products will soon be on sale VERY cheap. After they unload it all how long before the next "must have" product comes out? And yes I do have two Scent-Lok garments that I rarely wear anymore.
Maggs

[ QUOTE ]
I see that the Kisky board has banned all posts related to this topic. I suppose it's a little sensitive for their site due to there sponsorship from Scent-Lok. This could have a major impact on the endorsement/sponsorship deals within the industry. Drury's, Kisky's, Lakosky's, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting that info on Kisky's site went over like a pork chop at a Jewish wedding....like you couldn't see them banning all talk about the lawsuit coming from a million miles away!!

I saw a link had been posted to one of my web pages, and thought I'd weigh in.

I've done a ton of investigating, on many of the activated carbon "re-aactivation" company web sites listed here, and I've talked to a chemist who works with a company that manufactures activated carbon clothing for the military, and he is not paid by Scent Lok's "expert scientists" (who have absolutely nothing to gain by not telling the truth, Yea RIGHT!!!).

What I've found is that there is not enough carbon in a Scent Lok suit to hold all or in 50% of your odors (there is a photo of Scent Lok material opened up on the cited web page for you to see, the carbon only covers about 30% of the fabric, in 1/50th of an inch particles). So it cannot hold, as Scent Lok has claimed in a magazine ad, that it can contain "100% of your odors, 100% of the time", or some such wording.

As to "re-activation":

In order to remove air-borne odors from activated carbon, you have to raise the temperature of the activated carbon to at least the evaporation or "boiling" point of what ever it is you want to remove. That just makes common sense!!!

Human perspiration is made up water, salt and about 200 molecular compounds.

SO, in order to get the human perspiration odor out of the activated carbon in ANY activated carnon suit, by ANY manufacturer, you have to heat it to the boiling point of water, which is 212 degrees F.

No household dryer produces temperatures over 165 degrees. Meaing ou can't re-ativate your suit, of even human perspiration odors.

Plus - the suit is picking up every cotton picking stinking odor in the air - all of the time that it is exposed to air.

And some of those odors cannot be removed at temps below 1500 degrees F.

Science is science, not the "testimony of hunting experts". I know they can be wrong, because I was at the top of the testimonial list on the Scent Lok website for years, until I discoverd the truth, and literally made them take it down, 'cause they refused until I threatened them.

When hunters scam other hunters, by using mis-leading terms, and misinformation, it is called breaking the consumer fraud laws in the State of MN.

I say more power to the 4 in this suit.

I wish I had bought a suit, instead of been given several, 'casue I was told I would need several a year, by the owner of Scent Lok (kind of made me wonder why???).

If I had bought a suit I could be involved in the case, as it is I cn't be inovlved.

And I suspect I will be subpoenaed to testify or be deposed in this case.

T.R. Michels

What's amazing is this information has been out for a long time, yet the pros kept endorsing and the people kept buying. Just shows ya how much $$$ and advertising means.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that a lot of people bought it before they realized it was bogus. I was one of them....Anyone who thinks the guys who filed the suit are trying to make a quick buck do not understand the system. I don't think the guys who filed the suit are trying to get rich... All hunters owe them a debt of gratitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't owe these jack asses anything! I was never naive enough to fall for the B.S. crap they were pedaling and I did zero research! Step away from the kool-aid and realize you got taken because of your own bad judgment. Thousands of companies make false statements every day. Its marketing, you can't stop it. If you fall into their little web and believe everything you hear then shame on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm with this guy, i don't owe these fools anything, i didn't buy it, what should i owe them?

here is some food for thought....how many of you have bought that fishing lure that guarantees that every time it is near the water world record fish will literally crawl out of the water to get it. or on any hunting call you have ever bought, it says it will work everytime, and everytime a huge buck (or whatever it is you are hunting) will come runnning blindly in. nobody would ever put that their call sort-of works kinda some of the time if your lucky! now i'm not saying that scent blocker should go saying what they do but if we all want to step back and look at the bigger picture if these clothes block your scent the first time you wear them or if the better share of your scent then you can't see them saying "forget the wind sometimes" or "80 percent of the time it works all the time"

don't get me wrong i'm not saying that any of these products are in the right by saying what they do, i'm just trying to say it's YOU buying it, YOU pay for it, why don't YOU research it and get educated, i mean for god's sake i don't sit in my stand during the rut and hit my retarded "can" and expect everydeer in a 15 county radius to instantly gravitate to my stand, i hit my can cause i want to, cause i want to think a deer will come running in to the base of my tree pace off fifteen yards stand broadside and give me the hooves up sign cause he is ready for me to bring the noise.

there are so many gimmics in the world today, if people aren't smart enough to learn about them before hand then it is their own damned fault. i bought the "mad buck growl" i saw the commercial how all the bucks came running in, and how it was the newest vocaliztion the deer even knew. i bought and the first time i hit the call and then got ready to draw my bow back and.....nothing. have i been in the news with a lawsuit against mad calls, i don't believe so. i fell for their gimmic,too bad for me, i didn't go crying to mommy (the court system for some people) i just made the best out of it, it is one heckuvva grunt call, can't scent lok just be one heckuvva good camo pattern?

How long until the scent elimination sprays are hit with the same type of lawsuit?
Is there real science that can prove their claims?

[ QUOTE ]
How long until the scent elimination sprays are hit with the same type of lawsuit?
Is there real science that can prove their claims?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever hear the saying "Innocent until proven guilty"? No one is going to hit them with a lawsuit unless they have proof that they DO NOT work. Big difference. It seems unlikely that you will ever see such a suit because they seem to have plenty of evidence that at least in principle they are based on sound science. But you never know. The difference between the sprays and the activated carbon is that there is plenty of evidence that they cannot work as advertised. So far no one has any evidence that the sprays cannot work.

Iowa1, I was busting your chops earlier, hope you didn't take it personally. But really, why are we in such a society that hunting has come down to lawsuit against hunting clothing companies? If it is proven in the court of law, then that should be enough to let scent lok know that they should revise their marketing strategy.

In all reality, hunting is a big money business as it is, and I fear that this will make the big time lawyers look at it and say, well what other products are out there that are false advertising? Then here we go, anit groups chipping in, PETA, just seems like it will start a down ward spiral.

I know, I know, this is about the company making false statements about their product, but where will is stop. America is so sue happy today, somebody will sue for anything. What would have happend if someone was shooting their mathews bow and a limb broke on it, cause the string to damage their eye? Should Mathews be held acountable, or should the person shooting the bow know that those types of things happen? I just think this is going to open the doors for "not so hunter savey" people to get rich off a product.

Just my thoughts, can't wait till monday so we can hopefully see some harvest pics from everyone. GOOD LUCK TO ALL NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!

I shoot Carbon arrows - does this make me a carbon expert? he he he...

I have so much to say on this topic, but I really don't care to get involved! You guys are doing a good job at keeping things civil though! That is why I like this site - we can disagree about stuff, just don't get personal - right!

The Kisky ban of the topic I find interesting. No such thing as free speach over-there I guess.

[ QUOTE ]

I have so much to say on this topic, but I really don't care to get involved!

[/ QUOTE ]Come on man; lay it out there. Keeping it all in is not good for you.
grin.gif

Nanny slayer, I appreciate what you are saying but this is soooo different than a frivilous lawsuit or someone's limb breaking on a Mathews. This scent lok conspiracy is a mafia-like money machine that has been built on lies for 15 years. There is so much money in it that no one has been willing to blow the whistle. Anyone who appears to say "Hey wait a minute!" gets shut up by pressure from within the industry, and some of the people who were about to blow the whistle just simply got put on the pro staff or started drawing a paycheck. That's how convoluted this is. If a limb breaks on a bow, that's not anything illegal. What the persons in this suit are charging is that scent lok has broken several laws and committed fraud. Comparing this to frivilous lawsuits--which make me just as angry as they make you--is just not a fair comparison.

There are so many people making so much money on the activated carbon money train, from the retailers to the TV show producers to ALL of the outdoor TV channels, magazines, to dozens of pro hunters, that no one has been willing to stand up and tell the truth (except TR Michaels, but that's another story in itself). That's why I feel that we are indebted to these guys for doing it... not just a sense of righteous indignation but also because it will hopefully prevent another fraud like it from being perpetrated on the people. Hopefully the courts will come down on ALS hard enough that no one would ever consider doing something like this again.

Iowa1, I know there is quite a difference in the law suit against scent lok and a limb breaking on a bow, I'm was just looking at it in a lawsuit perspective. Kinda like if scent lok loses, that will definitly stay in everyones heads, and so if that limb breaks, automatically someone will think, sue sue sue.

But if their guilty, their guilty. I am also with farmer, I see them going after the scent eliminating sprays next. Really, there is not much science behind them either.

Limbs break on bows now and then; it is bound to happen. Cover scents and scent elimating sprays are not going to be attacked legally. Ghost elimates smells, HS dirt spray smells like dirt, etc. These sprays and cover scents are obviously doing something because you can smell them or notice a killing or covering up of an odor. Carbon clothing is a entirely different issue because of the claims and fraud that the company has claimed. Once again it goes back to the science of carbon, its' ability to be reactivated, and the small amount(peppering)of carbon that is even in the clothes to begin with. Frivalous lawsuits I am against too. But downright scamming the hunting public with bogus products endorsed by hunting celebs that know that they are scamming the hunting public too, is downright fraud. I wish that the celebs that endorse this crap and line their pockets with Scentloks money were named in the lawsuit too. Reminds me of how sheepish certain celeb hunters got when I confronted them with the Scentlok scam while at the IA Deer Classic this last March. They skirted the subject and didn't want to discuss it. They looked almost sick to their stomache realizing that another guy that reads hunting forums and has educated himself on Scentlok was in their face. We were told to contact Scentlok if we didn't believe the science. I told them that I already had; and Scentloc skirts the facts when I called them too.

[ QUOTE ]
I see them going after the scent eliminating sprays next. Really, there is not much science behind them either.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Lays potato chips? Their add says, "Bet you can't eat just one", but guess what, I bet there is a scientist out there who could prove them wrong. I just ate one, lets sue them for false advertising.
grin.gif
I heard on the radio this morning that an Illinois couple is going to sue their son's high school because they wouldn't let him wear his "I Love My Weiner" t-shirt to school. It had a picture of a weiner dog, "Dachshund" on it. Give me a break. In todays sue-happy society it is the lawyers who are pulling down the real money. I'd rather count my losses than help line some snake's pocket.

Top Bottom