Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mushrooms

My girlfriend and I went out Sunday to a place where we found about 300 early greys last year and didn't find squat. I just couldn't help but get out in the nice weather and at least check, although I don't think I've ever found a mushroom before 1st season turkey hunting. Once the asparagus starts coming up, that's when I'll hit it hard.

My girlfriend and I went out Sunday to a place where we found about 300 early greys last year and didn't find squat. I just couldn't help but get out in the nice weather and at least check, although I don't think I've ever found a mushroom before 1st season turkey hunting. Once the asparagus starts coming up, that's when I'll hit it hard.

If the shrooms come up that early will the season run longer or about the normal time period as usual?

If the shrooms come up that early will the season run longer or about the normal time period as usual?
I think they only occur for a short time..regardless of when they start..I've heard soil temps of 53 or above are when set them off..and its already that temp.

Im not real positive what keeps them growing but it's gotta have something to do with the ground temps.. I think once the soil gets to a certain temp, they just kind of die out and dry up and yea it's going to be hard to find them late in the tall grass anyways. The latest we've found a mostly fresh morel was on May 24th in 2009 and it was a huge one my best friend found...

4450_98649594608_500039608_1670142_8229670_n.jpg

53 degrees is the magical number and we have surpassed that by the temp. map i just looked at. With all the rain we have gotten the last few days it should be showtime! To think of finding them in march is unbelievable! CAN'T WAIT!!!

A friend of mine lives by Manchester and heard of guys finding little greys. Crazy.
He said he's about done shedhunting because its hard to see the ground with all the May Apples. Crazy, Crazy begining of the year.

I have always heard 4 or 5 days of daytime temps in the 70s and nights in the 50s and they will grow. We have had that for well over a week now. Are the dandelions out down south? I am in north central iowa and they are there but no flowers on them yet. I have always heard lilacs and dogwoods but from personal expierence it seems like when the dandelions come out so do the greys.

my observations are in line with everyone else. All the indicators are pointing to finding shrooms in March, which is completely unheard of. I have an indicator tree on ISU campus that I always use as my 'launch pad'...he'll hit full bloom next week (maybe even this weekend).

It seems stupid to be looking for shrooms in March, but when the indicators are there you must pay attention :way:

Top Bottom