Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Resident Youth

I've found very little support for letting NR youth hunt deer in IA. Even though we own a farm in IA no tags allowed unless you pay $500+

I've brought it up to IBA with no response.

Don't they have youth seasons in Minnesota? Why does a NR youth need to gain experience hunting Iowa?

Don't they have youth seasons in Minnesota? Why does a NR youth need to gain experience hunting Iowa?

Because he's like most every other non resident. They have an extreme sense of entitlement. He owns land in Iowa (because of the better hunting opportunity) therefor he should have the same rights as residents. At the end of the day if you wanna hunt iowa you must pay those non resident prices regardless of age.....period.

Last edited:

Yes they do, and they have youth tags for NR (deer, turkey, pheasant, waterfowl, fishing and even bear). They don't need to gain experience, they want to hunt the land that WE own!

Because he's like most every other non resident. They have an extreme sense of entitlement. He owns land in Iowa (because of the better hunting opportunity) therefor he should have the same rights as residents. At the end of the day if you wanna hunt iowa you must pay those non resident prices regardless of age.....period.

Entitlement. Exact opposite dude. I've worked for everything I have. I'm asking for my kids to be able to shoot a doe on my farm in Iowa (we had 40-50 in the field the last evening I hunted) and you think that is entitlement...far from it.

The bottom line is Iowa is a great state for whitetail hunting because of how they approach managing the states herd. ..Almost every great hunting area or farm in this world has one thing in common and that is it has restrictions in some way. ..if you allow a free for all like most public lands as an example it quickly ruins the hunting...the general public as a whole can't properly control themselves from over harvesting. ..it's funny how all the haters of gd private land as another example are the first ones to cozy up to the fence line. ...same goes here...you don't like Iowa s laws then sell your property and buy it where you can use it more often. ..the reason you don't is bc IA is great so quit complaining about it unless you want it to follow the other states and go to hell!

For the record I really believe in youth hunting seasons but the state has to make regs that are fair for everyone! I too busted my ass for my farms. ..and moved from MN to Iowa years ago to hunt them. ..I realize all can't do that but then if it's a huge problem maybe it's time to revaluate your priorities.

Last edited:
No, very clear to me what the CO was saying. Keep in mind this conversation was a year after the harvest and beyond any inquiry done. If all was good why not say so? In addition, something was said about the "big picture" outweighing any one incident, or something along those lines.

Why do you let something like this eat at you period and for so long? Life is much easier if you accept some things as is. Just be happy for someone being successful.

Entitlement. Exact opposite dude. I've worked for everything I have. I'm asking for my kids to be able to shoot a doe on my farm in Iowa (we had 40-50 in the field the last evening I hunted) and you think that is entitlement...far from it.

My point is proven.......

No one asked you how hard of worker you are. No one asked you how many does your farm needs taken off from it. At the end of the day you are not a resident of Iowa there for what you have to say means nothing. Rules and regulations are set forth for a reason.

If your so worried about allowing your kids an opportunity why didn't you buy in Minnesota?!?! Also I'm sure you have plenty if neighbors who'd help shoot YOUR does.......

My point is proven.......

No one asked you how hard of worker you are. No one asked you how many does your farm needs taken off from it. At the end of the day you are not a resident of Iowa there for what you have to say means nothing. Rules and regulations are set forth for a reason.

If your so worried about allowing your kids an opportunity why didn't you buy in Minnesota?!?! Also I'm sure you have plenty if neighbors who'd help shoot YOUR does.......

Obviously you don't know what entitlement means then? Go bully someone else!

Yes they do, and they have youth tags for NR (deer, turkey, pheasant, waterfowl, fishing and even bear). They don't need to gain experience, they want to hunt the land that WE own!

Sounds to me like they have plenty of opportunities to hunt at home then. They'll just have to wait like everyone else to kill a BIG deer.

Ha, no you're just ignorant! Typical of a guy of your "stature"

Entitlement is a right, your not a resident therefor you hunting in Iowa is a privilege.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like they have plenty of opportunities to hunt at home then. They'll just have to wait like everyone else to kill a BIG deer.

We have good land in both states, the boys have shot some dandies-no wait.Yep you are correct we put in for preference points...thanks

Mike, has nothing to do with the incident "eating at me". It was used to make the point that I guarantee resident youth tags are abused in the fashion it was asserted that NR's would abuse them.

Booner said, "Ha, no your just an ignorant, typical of a guy of your "stature"

Uh, what?

It actually makes sense if you read it. The grammatical errors are clearly accidental do to me typing from a phone.

Yet again, another cry baby out if stater......

Have fun chasing 110" ers boys!!!!!

Mike, has nothing to do with the incident "eating at me". It was used to make the point that I guarantee resident youth tags are abused in the fashion it was asserted that NR's would abuse them.

10-4. Texting and or forum talk can be easily misinterpreted. Hate to see people let things get to them. No doubt the rules/regs get bent or "interpreted" for self gain by a certain percentage. As far as in-state vs out of-state regs go, just follow the laws and move on. Kinda like the speed limit why are Iowa's limits lower then some other states? Just deal.

We deal fine. But don't single out NR's as the primary violators, or the reason of rule implementation, when the same rule is broken many times by your own.

Last edited:
Oh good, I thought maybe the NRs forgot how the state of Iowa is cheating them. Guess not. Where's the dead horse?

Top Bottom