Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR deer apps

realityvideoman

Don't know if anyone has noticed that NR archery deer apps were over 2500 less than they have been since at least before 2006. Apps have been 10,500 to 11500 but in 2011 were 8810. As a NR myself (hunt with family friends) I guess that the economy has caused this drastic decline in apps what do y'all think?

Dang maybe I should apply instead of buy another pref point. Might have to rethink my travels this year.

I think they're starting understand that they can have a quality hunt somewhere else and not pay the big fees to hunt here. Fine with me! :way:

Ya- I say the economy is a big part. Iowa is the highest on tag price & folks with tight budgets will put it off. Look at travel & tourism anywhere in the country & and it's down with this economy. I do also think a few other states are starting to have some areas managed a little better each year so folks have a few more options. Last- KS is now pretty much opened up to anyone so I think that took a little pressure off of IA.

Yea, a $600 whitetail tag and the barry obama $4 a gallon, "change" you can count on, economy has just a little to do with the decline in NR tag apps.

Hope the trend continues, I only have 2 pp and I'm counting on drawing this year.

The more people hear about how the tag apps are down, the more that will apply instead of put in for a pref point which decreases your odds of drawing with one point. You might be able to draw some zones with 1 but my guess is it will still take 2-3 in the top three zones. We'll see. I would say your odds are very good with 2 points in any zone this year.

Do application numbers include preference point purchases? Maybe more nr's are buying those to ride out the economy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using IW

hunt with family

Why is Montana so high? Nebraska is relatively cheap and they offer $5 tags for youth, great idea. I'm going to try to line up a hunt there in the future.

Montana just increased the price from $343. And the deer/elk combo went to 900 or so. Sucks, but I like going there. I think they also got rid of the outfitter tags as well.

I think all of the reasons that have already been mentioned, (economy, gas prices, relatively high tag prices, etc.) are valid. However, I think there are at least a couple of other factors to add in...

1. I think people have begun to realize that the deer numbers down here in Iowa and not that it was ever "easy", but good bucks are harder to come by now than 5 or 10 years ago.

2. Land access in the better areas continues to get tougher every year. I personally know some folks that used to come to Iowa and just knock on doors and get on some top flight land, now these farms are tied up by leasing or new owners that bought them to hunt themselves. This is not to say that someone cannot still get access to ground via a simple handshake, only that it is much tougher now than it was a few years back in certain areas.

I think all of the reasons that have already been mentioned, (economy, gas prices, relatively high tag prices, etc.) are valid. However, I think there are at least a couple of other factors to add in...

1. I think people have begun to realize that the deer numbers down here in Iowa and not that it was ever "easy", but good bucks are harder to come by now than 5 or 10 years ago.

2. Land access in the better areas continues to get tougher every year. I personally know some folks that used to come to Iowa and just knock on doors and get on some top flight land, now these farms are tied up by leasing or new owners that bought them to hunt themselves. This is not to say that someone cannot still get access to ground via a simple handshake, only that it is much tougher now than it was a few years back in certain areas.

Probably true...another small factor for me has been lining up with another NR to come down and hunt. With unpredictability in the draw, it seems someone has 1 pref point, or 2, while I have 3...Therefore for me to apply as a group, our number would drop to 2.

I've met some locals and so on, but it is more fun to take a hunt with friends, family drive together, etc...

That is why as a landowner, I wish they would offer youth tags or archery doe tags, we (family or friends) could come down to hunt and also take a couple of does.

Hardwood11 said:
Probably true...another small factor for me has been lining up with another NR to come down and hunt. With unpredictability in the draw, it seems someone has 1 pref point, or 2, while I have 3...Therefore for me to apply as a group, our number would drop to 2.

I've met some locals and so on, but it is more fun to take a hunt with friends, family drive together, etc...

That is why as a landowner, I wish they would offer youth tags or archery doe tags, we (family or friends) could come down to hunt and also take a couple of does.

Oh man did u just say take a doe? You better not say that on here because people on here think thats bad. Lmao.

does

Oh man did u just say take a doe? You better not say that on here because people on here think thats bad. Lmao.

Yes I did, plenty on my farm, saw 30+ in the picked beans last year, and I don't think old man winter got any!

You used to be able to get nonresident does archery tags. You can thank your fellow non resident hunters as to why they aren't available anymore. It's a shame.

vman said:
You used to be able to get nonresident does archery tags. You can thank your fellow non resident hunters as to why they aren't available anymore. It's a shame.

Explain, I have been wondering why no more doe tags.

Top Bottom