Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR deer apps

Too bad when a few wreck it for the rest!! Seems like the NR bowhunter is not welcome in Iowa.... Limiting the percentage of NR tags going to bowhunters... Never really understood that?:confused:

Too bad when a few wreck it for the rest!! Seems like the NR bowhunter is not welcome in Iowa.... Limiting the percentage of NR tags going to bowhunters... Never really understood that?:confused:

It's limiting the pressure on mature bucks when they are most vulnerable....the rut. If they didn't limit the NR's there would probably be an additional 50,000 bow hunters in IA every fall and herd quality would diminish in a hurry.

Instead of offering reasonably priced doe tags to nonresident landowners, they decided to have a ridiculous mid-late January "doe-only" rifle hunt. Problem is hunters often can't tell diff between does and shed-bucks.....or don't care. And it doesn't matter legally because dead anterless deer is all that matters. Doesn't anyone think its a strange coincidence that buck quality has gone down in the 3 years that this Jan antlerless season has been happening?? This is #1 threat to the buck quality in Iowa. If DNR were serious about keeping IA as the top whitetail state, they'd abandon that thing and figure out a better way to get does killed. Some kind of earlier season hunt, with shotguns/muzzleloaders would seem to be the obvious answer.

It's limiting the pressure on mature bucks when they are most vulnerable....the rut. If they didn't limit the NR's there would probably be an additional 50,000 bow hunters in IA every fall and herd quality would diminish in a hurry.

I was refering to the percentage of available NR tags that are allocated to NR archery hunters...... not the overall number of NR tags..... I would think that a NR archery hunter would spend more time and money in Iowa than a gun hunter and based on history.... they would shoot fewer bucks. still :confused:

magnus said:
Instead of offering reasonably priced doe tags to nonresident landowners, they decided to have a ridiculous mid-late January "doe-only" rifle hunt. Problem is hunters often can't tell diff between does and shed-bucks.....or don't care. And it doesn't matter legally because dead anterless deer is all that matters. Doesn't anyone think its a strange coincidence that buck quality has gone down in the 3 years that this Jan antlerless season has been happening?? This is #1 threat to the buck quality in Iowa. If DNR were serious about keeping IA as the top whitetail state, they'd abandon that thing and figure out a better way to get does killed. Some kind of earlier season hunt, with shotguns/muzzleloaders would seem to be the obvious answer.

Im not saying im a fan of the late season but when it only happens in the southern county's that doesn't affect the buck population in northern county's. So no i dont see the coincidence.

magnus said:
Doesn't anyone think its a strange coincidence that buck quality has gone down in the 3 years that this Jan antlerless season has been happening??

3 years? They've had the January antlerless season since for at least a decade now.

I think there is a real easy solution to the problem of NR owning land and the restrictions on archery doe tags. Allow a NR archery doe tag or tags at a reasonable price for landowner/family only. Maybe add incentive to allow local residents or a neighbor to take a doe/does as well.

Most NR go to their property every year anyway, so allow them to hunt every year with archery gear and control the population.

Right now they offer doe tags for NR for shotgun and holiday, so what is the difference?

Last edited:
Facts are simple: Iowa is one of the greatest states for mature deer because of its limited access, gun season outside the rut, and its strong deer numbers(which is changing rapidly in some parts of the state for the worse).

If you think for one moment more letting more NR s hunt won't have a big impact your dead wrong. I am all for being fair, but a free for all will certainly impact the deer herd.

And the worst enemy seems to be the state right now....don't know about most of you, but the majority of hunters are not complaining about seeing too many deer. Also what is too many? Even 30 or more in standing soybeans late season doesn't sound like a gross over population, remember when there use to be that many deer in every field...I do.

Late antlerless season is having majorly detrimental impact to many parts of Iowa & the avg neigborhood with multiple land owners .

All I'll say- side tracking all the other debates - Iowa is a VERY FRAGILE DEER HUNTING ECOSYSTEM. Be careful with ANY changes, etc. Too many in government aren't. The late Antlerless is ONE example of being careless with something so fragile.

I think there is a real easy solution to the problem of NR owning land and the restrictions on archery doe tags. Allow a NR archery doe tag or tags at a reasonable price for landowner/family only. Maybe add incentive to allow local residents or a neighbor to take a doe/does as well.

Most NR go to their property every year anyway, so allow them to hunt every year with archery gear and control the population.

Right now they offer doe tags for NR for shotgun and holiday, so what is the difference?

I will not support doe only tags for any NR, landowner or not, for the very reason it was taken away. Too much documented law breaking with the NR being able to legally hunt but illegally shoot a buck. I would support more any sex tags before doe tags in archery season. That one just makes no sense due to the abuse when it was allowed.

3 years? They've had the January antlerless season since for at least a decade now.
Agree. Two things did change in that decade, more weapon choices were allowed in the southern third of the state and fewer counties are now a part of it.

Iowa doe tags

I will not support doe only tags for any NR, landowner or not, for the very reason it was taken away. Too much documented law breaking with the NR being able to legally hunt but illegally shoot a buck. I would support more any sex tags before doe tags in archery season. That one just makes no sense due to the abuse when it was allowed.

QUOTE]

Actually I really doubt it was landowners who were breaking the law on the "documented" law breaking. Besides what are you going to do, take priviledges away every time someone breaks the law. Game violation... sorry you "all" are not welcome to hunt that way anymore... Think of the enormous trespass problem by residents in Iowa, yet nothing is done to change the law.

Are you really opposed to allowing my son who is 12 years old to come down with his dad and shoot a doe on the land his family owns, it would in know way effect you, it will help our cause of management and the state of Iowa would get some cash in return.

jclaws said:
Im guessing he is talking about the late january rifle season in southern iowa.And the january season wasnt always this long.

I honestly don't think allowing rifles in the bottom tiers has affected harvest much of any. And they've been allowing rifles for well over three years. At least 5 and probably longer.

Sorry, I do support landowner NR doe tags for the gun seasons. I do NOT support doe tags for the bow seasons. It's not about ethical hunters, it is about a loophole that was too much to keep up with and criminals taking advantage of it. If it were one or two, I would agree, don't change the law, but it was way more and way worse than that. Our DNR enforcement officers are already spread too thin. The NR hunters still have as many tags as they did before, just not that one BAD option.

Sorry, I do support landowner NR doe tags for the gun seasons. I do NOT support doe tags for the bow seasons. It's not about ethical hunters, it is about a loophole that was too much to keep up with and criminals taking advantage of it. If it were one or two, I would agree, don't change the law, but it was way more and way worse than that. Our DNR enforcement officers are already spread too thin. The NR hunters still have as many tags as they did before, just not that one BAD option.

NR doe tags during the gun season is a license to shoot bucks and tag them with a resident tag under the party hunting rules.

NR doe tags during the gun season is a license to shoot bucks and tag them with a resident tag under the party hunting rules.
Agree. Resident doe tags during gun season is also a license to shoot bucks and tag them with a resident tag (or NR) under the party hunting rules.

Agree. Resident doe tags during gun season is also a license to shoot bucks and tag them with a resident tag (or NR) under the party hunting rules.

If they took those away, how would a NR shoot a doe...?

You do not support a NR shooting a doe, but you support a resident landowner shooting (3) bucks in one season?

Are you concerned about management or alternatives motives?

If they took those away, how would a NR shoot a doe...?

You do not support a NR shooting a doe, but you support a resident landowner shooting (3) bucks in one season?

Are you concerned about management or alternatives motives?

Not sure what you're asking about taking something away?

As mentioned, I support NR gun season does tags. I do know it is legal for both resident and NR hunters to party hunt and shoot bucks with only a doe tag in their possession during the regular gun seasons.

I am openly against NR archery doe tags. It is the most abused tag we have ever had. It needed to go away and I hope it never comes back. I would support more either sex tags before any doe tags for that season.

While I said I have purchased 3 either sex tags in a year, I have also said I have never benefited from it with 3 bucks. If you look close, I have not mentioned any support of this 3rd tag for landowners, nor will I get into that now. It is not worth debating.

Those of you who know me know I am not anti NR. They also know I am passionate about the management of our natural resources. I am open with what I am for and against, and why.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
150 class. Your argument about the NR archery doe tag abuse doesn't hold water. You only have about 2200 NR archery tags anyway. Very few of us actually were crazy enough to buy your high priced doe tags. I did so because I have family in Iowa that love to get together and hunt. We had a great time, weather I had a buck or a doe tag. This year, I didn't draw again. I would much rather bow hunt, but I broke down and bought a second season NR doe tag and came down and hunted with family this year.
On the first evening, I shot my biggest buck to date as well as a doe. I could have shot three or more bucks as well, as we had plenty of tags. More does only cost $12.50 each because my resident relatives can tag them. I think you should be more worried about this, as it is all legal under your current rules. I found out that I am much more lethal to your deer herd with a muzzleloader than with my bow. I witnessed trespassing, and residents chasing down deer with pickups, shooting them out the window. Our call to the CO was returned two days later. A few bucks killed by NR poachers pales in comparison to the abuse that happens during your gun seasons. The people that your views hurt are those of us that actually respect the law. If you are really concerned with buck numbers in your area, you should be looking at the party hunting loophole, and your late antlerless seasons, and the loss of habitat.
I will draw a NR bow tag this year. I am fine with a buck tag every three years as it helps keep the pressure from us NR down, but wish we could still buy a NR archery doe tag as I really enjoy sitting in the Iowa woods during the rut with my bow. My hunting partners are getting older and I know that each year could be the last. Have a good summer and see you this fall!:)

Akcary: my thoughts exactly, and let's give some consideration to NR youth as well in each state...nothing better than a dad/grandpa taking his son or daughter on an out of state hunt!

Top Bottom