Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR deer apps

sep, I could not disagree more. What is a typical US citizen? There are so many variables that dictate an individuals financial situation I can't begin to list them. Where and how a person spends their money depends on a litany of factors and priorities that can't be explained and is noone's business. Some landowners have money to burn, many do not, but make it happen. Our nation provides the "oppurtunity" to accomplish many goals, but it is not without sacrifice and hard work. I caution our younger generation in every endeavor to beware of our current political atmosphere that being successful and having money is a negative thing. It is not. The government will never make you, or give you, the degree of success you can achieve on your own. Just Do It.

Iowa

I'd say fact of the matter is you can afford to own land in a different state than where you reside and be able to afford to 'manage' it which means multiple trips throughout the year, pay for the gas, the NR tags, the payments, the gear/equipment you are very well off. May not be rich but are doing much better than your typical U.S. citizen. If you like the quality of hunting our state has to offer don't try to change the regs. Zim, AZhunter, and a few other NR have made great posts and reasons about why Iowa is good, it is because of how the regs are now! Change them and we are no differen than any other state. Changing one thing will just be a domino effect and will to another and another and so forth. Rally with other like minded hunters in your home state and change the regs there, don't come here and do that.

Please do not continue to insult our intelligence. You and I and everyone else on this site knows the history behind the archery "doe" tags and how you guys didn't want any changes, except you didn't mind that change because it didn't affect you.

Educate yourself on overall whitetail deer management (20-25% of all Iowa properties are owned by NR) and then educate yourself on why that is so high. Maybe the regulations are not so resident friendly. Large blocks of land are owned by former NR. See if you can connect the dots.

As far as adding youth tags or doe tags for NR (which are already available) ruining Iowa, me shooting a doe on my land, "me" asking for that is wrong, ok, "wow"??

Just admit is an access issue, adding doe tags on property you cannot hunt will NOT hurt you. You and others on this site, can shoot 2 or 3 bucks and multiple does in most cases and you fully support that, correct?

If you would have taken the time to read the thread, I believe you will find that nowhere is a NR asking for major regulation changes. All we were looking for is to return to what they were five or six years ago. I think all of you would agree that there were more deer then than now. When the NR doe tags went away, residents lost as much or more hunting rights as well as additional revenue. Limit them to private land if you want to reduce pressure.

I really don't see a problem with NR landowners getting archery doe tags so that they can hunt their ground every year. 90% of the folks will use them with honest intentions. The 10% that don't will shoot a buck regardless if they have a tag or not. I wouldn't let a few bad eggs ruin it for the whole bunch. I cannot hunt Hardwoods or Jdubs ground so I could care less if they could buy unlimited doe tags to try to manage their ground. It would be a fun trip if the family could get together and go shoot does. It isn't always about the size of the rack. Just getting together hunting is what it is all about.

Now NR landowners getting buck tags every year could have a huge negative impact on all of us as far as ground being locked up. That would be a concern to me. NRs who own ground and want to spend time in their woods in the fall shooting does and seeing what else is aorund while they wait their turn for the buck tag does not bother me.

Poachers are going to poach. Plain and simple. If they do it and can sleep at night that is something they are going to have to live with not me.

I really think many people putting up the dough to buy their own ground will most likely put up with the laws. Opening the flood gates to NRs that do not own land for doe tags is bringing in a whole different crowd and you will see bad examples of misuse of the tags.

You see residents all the time poaching on the DNR website.

I really don't see a problem with NR landowners getting archery doe tags so that they can hunt their ground every year. 90% of the folks will use them with honest intentions. The 10% that don't will shoot a buck regardless if they have a tag or not. I wouldn't let a few bad eggs ruin it for the whole bunch. I cannot hunt Hardwoods or Jdubs ground so I could care less if they could buy unlimited doe tags to try to manage their ground. It would be a fun trip if the family could get together and go shoot does. It isn't always about the size of the rack. Just getting together hunting is what it is all about.

Now NR landowners getting buck tags every year could have a huge negative impact on all of us as far as ground being locked up. That would be a concern to me. NRs who own ground and want to spend time in their woods in the fall shooting does and seeing what else is aorund while they wait their turn for the buck tag does not bother me.

Poachers are going to poach. Plain and simple. If they do it and can sleep at night that is something they are going to have to live with not me.

I really think many people putting up the dough to buy their own ground will most likely put up with the laws. Opening the flood gates to NRs that do not own land for doe tags is bringing in a whole different crowd and you will see bad examples of misuse of the tags.

You see residents all the time poaching on the DNR website.

Really good point, why would a NR landowner poach a buck, they could lose hunting priviledges for many years. Also, I agree the buck tags are fine, I've come to appreciate the limit in the past 2-3 years, after seeing many nice bucks (really guys we are 90% on the same page) but doe management has to come into play

I just find irony in a sense that everyone complains about NR landowners locking down ground and the doe population exploding and that is a "concern" then we don't let them shoot does. Anyone of us would give our left nut to be sitting on the fence line of 1000 acres of mismanaged highly populated NR land that is locked down.

I then find it comical that if we give NR landowners doe tags every year they will "misuse" those tags and may kill a buck. Wake up people, poachers are going to poach and I believe over 1000 shed bucks were killed last year. I gurantee you for the few that will misuse the tags wouldn't put a dent in the 1000 shed bucks per year. They are going to do it regardless if they have any tag or not so it is a mute point.

Call me crazy but I bet if NR landowners could hunt their ground during archery for does every year many would be happy and there wouldn't be such a strong force trying to change laws. They can at least try to manage their ground while waiting for their buck tag. I know many resident who take pride in trying to manage their ground, foodplots, TSI, doe management etc.

NRs would then have it made. They can make it worthwhile to do the foodplots, TSI, shoot does and not have a single buck taken off that ground for 2-3 years. Just think of the age structure they would have when they do draw their buck tag.

NRs are just pissed they can't even shoot does every year. I really don't blame them. Most NRs I have met don't mind the buck tag wait at all but would like to shoot some does to try to keep a balance and enjoy their land while they wait on the side lines for their chance at a trophy of a life time.

Please do not continue to insult our intelligence. You and I and everyone else on this site knows the history behind the archery "doe" tags and how you guys didn't want any changes, except you didn't mind that change because it didn't affect you.

Educate yourself on overall whitetail deer management (20-25% of all Iowa properties are owned by NR) and then educate yourself on why that is so high. Maybe the regulations are not so resident friendly. Large blocks of land are owned by former NR. See if you can connect the dots.

As far as adding youth tags or doe tags for NR (which are already available) ruining Iowa, me shooting a doe on my land, "me" asking for that is wrong, ok, "wow"??

Just admit is an access issue, adding doe tags on property you cannot hunt will NOT hurt you. You and others on this site, can shoot 2 or 3 bucks and multiple does in most cases and you fully support that, correct?

I've stayed out of this conversation for awhile but jus thave to say this. this is nothing personal against any non-residents, on this site or otherwise, but so what if it is an "access issue"? is it so wrong for us residents to be irritated that non-residents come into our state and buy up 20-25% of the ground? That's not even taking into consideration the amount of ground that is leased by non-residents or outfitters. I think an Iowa resident has every right to want to limit the number of hunting opportunities for non-residents whether they own the property or not. If you don't like the rules, old, new, or somewhere in between, then move here or sell your property. anyway that's my .02.

The amount of jealousy and whining in this thread is amazing....I can't get a doe tag...I want a buck tag because residents get 3 of them...I don't own land...I hate RICH FOLKS who own too much land...I don't want anymore NR s to get tags...its I I I I I

So here is my I.....I lived in MN and owned land...always wanted to be in Iowa, so I made huge sacrifices and moved(yes i realize not everyone can do this) and bought some land in Iowa(must be rich according to some of you). Now I have a two little slices of heaven. I get my 3 Iowa Buck Tags(which I haven't ever used them all) and my 1 MN tag. That's my story, love it or hate it that's what I did for me. If you don't like your current situation then change it, don't ask others to do it for you!

I am subject to law and rule change in both states now...can I complain twice as much?

jmoose said:
I've stayed out of this conversation for awhile but jus thave to say this. this is nothing personal against any non-residents, on this site or otherwise, but so what if it is an "access issue"? is it so wrong for us residents to be irritated that non-residents come into our state and buy up 20-25% of the ground? That's not even taking into consideration the amount of ground that is leased by non-residents or outfitters. I think an Iowa resident has every right to want to limit the number of hunting opportunities for non-residents whether they own the property or not. If you don't like the rules, old, new, or somewhere in between, then move here or sell your property. anyway that's my .02.
Amen bother. I have lived in iowa my whole life and would love to own some land but i can't because 20-25% of land is owned by nr. Which drives up the land price higher than what the crops do here in iowa. So if you nr want to complain about the rules go ahead and sell your land to some IOWA people and change regs in your own state.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…

Jmoose: I didn't say there was anything wrong with you or anyone else being upset about NR buying ground. I just want this issue to be upfront that it is "an access" issue. You've got two or three guys on this site that come in and say if we give you landowner doe tags and/or youth tags our hunting will go to "hell". Well that is 100% not true. The reason residents are opposed to these changes is because they fear access to local farms might be affected by this decision.

That is fine, I understand that, which is why I made the comment of please do not insult our intelligence.

If 20-25% of the land in Iowa is owned by NR, then you have to look at "why" that is happening. I have expressed my theory on this before.

Many NR have bought and then moved here, and they own tons of property now as residents, is that better?

Last edited:
Amen bother. I have lived in iowa my whole life and would love to own some land but i can't because 20-25% of land is owned by nr. Which drives up the land price higher than what the crops do here in iowa. So if you nr want to complain about the rules go ahead and sell your land to some IOWA people and change regs in your own state.

Compare Iowa rec land prices in the past 10-15 years to other states and you will see that Iowa land was very cheap (artifically cheap) compared to other states. That is why so many NR bought, again connect the dots to "why" and you will see that this great system has some flaws.

I just find irony in a sense that everyone complains about NR landowners locking down ground and the doe population exploding and that is a "concern" then we don't let them shoot does. Anyone of us would give our left nut to be sitting on the fence line of 1000 acres of mismanaged highly populated NR land that is locked down.

I then find it comical that if we give NR landowners doe tags every year they will "misuse" those tags and may kill a buck. Wake up people, poachers are going to poach and I believe over 1000 shed bucks were killed last year. I gurantee you for the few that will misuse the tags wouldn't put a dent in the 1000 shed bucks per year. They are going to do it regardless if they have any tag or not so it is a mute point.

Call me crazy but I bet if NR landowners could hunt their ground during archery for does every year many would be happy and there wouldn't be such a strong force trying to change laws. They can at least try to manage their ground while waiting for their buck tag. I know many resident who take pride in trying to manage their ground, foodplots, TSI, doe management etc.

NRs would then have it made. They can make it worthwhile to do the foodplots, TSI, shoot does and not have a single buck taken off that ground for 2-3 years. Just think of the age structure they would have when they do draw their buck tag.

NRs are just pissed they can't even shoot does every year. I really don't blame them. Most NRs I have met don't mind the buck tag wait at all but would like to shoot some does to try to keep a balance and enjoy their land while they wait on the side lines for their chance at a trophy of a life time.

They call you crazy (I say best post on here in years) you hit every nail on the head!

I was not insulting your intelligence. I think it is fairly common sense that if NR's are allowed gaurenteed doe tags every archery season (without changing the buck tags) that that will entice more NR to come to Iowa to buy land, which is already 20-25% of the state, nearly a quarter of the state. I would say only 30-40% of the state even has decent hunting, so that a big chunk. And just like Jmoose mentioned, that does not include outfitters and leases. To me this is an access issue. If it is changed it will result in less access, less deer to hunt, and increased land prices for those who do want to buy land that cannot afford it. It is also fairly common sense that big changes happen through many small changes.

Of course I am going to stand here and fight for what I think is right in my state where I live. I am here year round, not just a few weeks a year to shoot a deer. You start the dominoe effect of chaning the regs here I am sure it won't be many years before IA is just like MN and other states that cause so many NR's to want to come here so they can have good hunts.

sep, I could not disagree more. What is a typical US citizen? There are so many variables that dictate an individuals financial situation I can't begin to list them. Where and how a person spends their money depends on a litany of factors and priorities that can't be explained and is noone's business. Some landowners have money to burn, many do not, but make it happen. Our nation provides the "oppurtunity" to accomplish many goals, but it is not without sacrifice and hard work. I caution our younger generation in every endeavor to beware of our current political atmosphere that being successful and having money is a negative thing. It is not. The government will never make you, or give you, the degree of success you can achieve on your own. Just Do It.

Well said. It bothers me that some of the members here want to criticize others for being able to spend money, or in some cases, choose to invest money. Don't we all want to be able to do that? So why poke jabs at the person who does?

Really good point, why would a NR landowner poach a buck, they could lose hunting priviledges for many years. Also, I agree the buck tags are fine, I've come to appreciate the limit in the past 2-3 years, after seeing many nice bucks (really guys we are 90% on the same page) but doe management has to come into play
Why would anyone want to poach a buck? Same hunting privileges could be lost for anyone. Doesn't matter if you are NR landowner or not, or resident landowner or not. That loss also would be the least of your problems.

Wasn't critizing anyone, just stating my thought. I would just figure the average hunter out there has a house, wife, kids, couple car payments and on and on. I guess in my mind if someone can afford all that plus be able to spend atleast a couple hundred K on some hunting property in another state that in my mind they are probably doing better than most people.

I don't have 100k

Wasn't critizing anyone, just stating my thought. I would just figure the average hunter out there has a house, wife, kids, couple car payments and on and on. I guess in my mind if someone can afford all that plus be able to spend atleast a couple hundred K on some hunting property in another state that in my mind they are probably doing better than most people.

Just to clarify, I do not have 100 K to put down on land, most landowners, including myself, probably started with a 40 or 80, put a small to decent amount down and bank financed the rest. They may have sold a parcel or two and then used the equity to buy a bigger parcel.

When I say my farm, I should actually say it is part mine and part the banks until I pay it off .

Sep,

If these people can afford it kudos to them. Every person's financial
position is different but most of them achieved it the same way.

Hard Work.

Who cares if someone is doing better than someone else. You can only
take care of what you can control. Most people cannot pull a couple hundred K out of the bank, but start small and take a chance with buying land and acquiring more over time, then work their tail off to pay the bills.

It did not come to them they went to it. If you are worried about getting squeezed out by the NR do something about it. Buy some land.
I have also lost hundreds of acres of access but if their is nothing I can do about it why worry about it. I could of bought some but opted not to on some and did buy some other.

While people have been complaining about this the last two to three years on here wanting a pity party others have been acquiring and paying off their land debt.

You can to. Might be a little hard to do but anything is possible.

Not bashing you buddy but anything is possible if you want it bad enough. :way:

Good luck to you.

Top Bottom