Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One to Worry About

Bonker, Dbltree, or someone in the know...

What do you need from us drones who would like to be more involved but are limited for whatever reason? Is it phone calls/emails/etc. Can you put us in touch with the people who need to here resident opinions?

If it appears I am looking for the easy way out I am, but IMO the last thing we need is more NR hunting, ecspecially in "Disneyland"....

Let em go to Missouri.

start sending emails to your reps. Baudler and Hager are two good ones as they not only share our views they are also on the Natural resources committee. Be proactive! It only takes a minute to send an email.:way:

I would glady pay an extra 10$ per license to keep 6000 more Nonresident tags from being distributed. and for hotels and restaurants sake up it another 2$ per tag getting my land taken away that I hunt is way more valuable than an extra couple dollars here and there.

Seems to be no stopping the push for these changes. They come back every year. It will be hard to swallow, but maybe,,after deer numbers and quality are torn apart. Iowa won't be in the lime light anymore, and the frantic sell will die away. Then maybe deer hunting will gradually recover. Not the reason to put up a good fight though. Makes you sleep better at night, know you tried.

We are going through this in IL right now... All the talk this year is "where are all the deer?". IL raising it's NR quota was the downfall of our state in my opinion. Deer are NOT an unlimited resource but our DNR treats them like they are. Pike county is a prime example... Junk Land was selling for 5 - 6 thousand and acre 5 years ago and was being bought up like crazy by NR's who knew they could get a tag every year now. Now the same ground is back to 2 - 3 thousand again and the deer numbers are way down (I know the economy had some play in it as well too). The streets are still lined with NR's as of now but another year or two of this and I'd say they will start dropping off significantly. IL will still have 25,000 NR tags available in a few years and they'll be scratching their heads when only 10,000 sell.

As a NR with two points for IA, I TRULY hope this does not pass for you guys!!!! If it does, buy up all the land you can and lock in long term leases for as cheap and long as is possible... cause it won't be pretty.

The easiest way for the DNR to get some money is to raise the state tax and use the bill that was passed last fall.

i think this is a little to much 6000 nr tags we have a hard enough time keepping locals off our hunting land can you image 6000 more retards out in the timber if dnr wants more money then have a bake sale dont ruin our hunting by adding to the already hard task of killing deer by adding more people in the woods poaching tresspassing ond so on SIDE BAR not saying all nr are poachers or tresspassers but you get the point

NR Tags sell out every year.... Why not just raise the price until we find out what they are willling to pay?? Every other industry does that. It's not fair to non residents, but I would love to get a front row seat on the 50 yard line at the superbowl, but someone else is willing to pay more than me. Just a thought if the bottom line is the mm mm money!

* I know this is irrational, but it wouldnt be any skin off my back.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32875

Call the house and senate Natural Resource Commitee members. Call your Represenatives.

I just checked, and found that my representative is on the committee. Despite what you think, writing your public officials (especially at the state/local level) is effective. Use tact. I work for the state myself...believe me, writing is effective. Now is the time to write.

Members of the NR committees:

http://www3.legis.state.ia.us/ga/committee.do?id=28

http://ballotpedia.info/wiki/index.php/Natural_Resources_&_Environment_Committee,_Iowa_Senate

To find your districts and reps:

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/Redist/senate-color.pdf

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/Redist/house-color.pdf

Remind them that the wildlife in the state of IA was founded upon the Public Trust Doctrine...where "wildlife is held by the state, in a trust, for the benefit of the public" (i.e. the taxpaying residents of the state). As residents, we have more rights to wildlife than any non-resident. As such, wildlife does not exist to promote tourism or support the DNR. Your legislators know this, and we must remind them.

Bonker, Dbltree, or someone in the know...

What do you need from us drones who would like to be more involved but are limited for whatever reason? Is it phone calls/emails/etc. Can you put us in touch with the people who need to here resident opinions?

If it appears I am looking for the easy way out I am, but IMO the last thing we need is more NR hunting, ecspecially in "Disneyland"....

Let em go to Missouri.

Another group to contact would be the Natural Resources Commission. They are the “Civilian”, if you will, governing body for the DNR. Other than that just what everyone else has said.

NR Tags sell out every year.... Why not just raise the price until we find out what they are willling to pay?? Every other industry does that. It's not fair to non residents, but I would love to get a front row seat on the 50 yard line at the superbowl, but someone else is willing to pay more than me. Just a thought if the bottom line is the mm mm money!

* I know this is irrational, but it wouldnt be any skin off my back.

Irrational is right. Like I said in an earlier post, you then limit the hunters to the people you really don't want (High priced outfitters and weathly city people) and shut out the people you do want NR's who come in to hunt with relatives and the DIY guy hunting on public ground. Jacking the price up is counterproductive. It's some of the higest in the nation now. Right now it is a good balance with 6000. I would fight like crazy to try to keep it that way.

I see no reason that resident either sex tags shouldn't be $50 That barely buys 1 tank of gas today. Leave the nr quota alone.
I think in the next 5 years this may all become a mute point. I believe there is a huge drop off in deer hunting numbers in our future, both resident and nr. Private property gets harder to find every year and public ground is crowded to the point of pure frustration. It's just not that much fun wandering around public ground trying to find a tree without a stand in it so you can set up and watch squirrels.

For those NR hunters who actually feel that they are contributing $MILLIONS to the Iowa economy that takes a lot of gas and pizza in a week. With our drastically declining harvest and population numbers and a success ratio of only around 30% for resident hunters, and the ever increasing access problems for resident hunters, how can an increase be justified now? As for the dollars if they increase the NR tags by 6000 and at $500 per that is $3,000,000.000 dollars. Conversely if the IDNR raises resident licenses by $5.00 for approximately 350,000 licenses that only amounts to $1,750,000.00 or just over half of the revenue increase the other way. It becomes a battle of dollars and the residents loose because even though they can buy lots of tags for lots of seasons, they can't find good land to hunt because much of it is being bought or leased by NRs or by outfitters for NR hunters. An increase in NR tags with all of these other issues like declining harvest numbers, currently only 121,558 total deer when in the past there were nearly that many killed in the first shotgun season alone, would be very ill advised in my opinion.

If they don't quit selling doe tags, we hunters won't have any deer to hunt anyway. this year i've seen the least amount of deer since i moved here and all the crops were out early this year!

I see no reason that resident either sex tags shouldn't be $50 That barely buys 1 tank of gas today. Leave the nr quota alone.
I think in the next 5 years this may all become a mute point. I believe there is a huge drop off in deer hunting numbers in our future, both resident and nr. Private property gets harder to find every year and public ground is crowded to the point of pure frustration. It's just not that much fun wandering around public ground trying to find a tree without a stand in it so you can set up and watch squirrels.
I have to dissagree with you. If you think there is going to be a huge drop off in deer hunting numbers in our future ( i do also); how would raising the price of resident either sex tags to $50 help? I believe we are losing our statis as Big Buck state with every year that passes. We've been through the hay days with numberous trophy bucks before the DNR and FB decided to cut the deer herd in half. I believe that 200" bucks will be even more elusive in the coming years; so how can you justify raising the price. I'm at the point where i believe we the residents have done enough damage that we might as well take advantage of the NR dollars before they figure out it's not worth it also.

If it helps make you guys feel better , I didn't even consider shooting a doe with the tag ($$)they made me buy along with the buck tag ($$) and the hunting license($$) I had to buy and didn't use because pheasant hunting doesn't really do it for me anymore. So, the state got all that money for free. I also donated my bucks meat at the local butcher shop .He weighed 205 cleaned so alot of meat for the residents. Spent close to $2,000.00 while I was up there too.Most of it for the parents 50th anniversary party. All I took from the state was a nice 10 pt. rack.I bet there were hundreds of 10 pt.ers hit on the road this year and Iowa got $0.00 for them. I think you got a hell of a deal from me anyway.:way:

Okla, we have to buy the hunting license as well to kill deer as a resident.

The whole thing sucks. I wish I was in the position to buy a farm now versus the 20 years before I can start looking........probably 10K an acre then.

Okla, we have to buy the hunting license as well to kill deer as a resident.

The whole thing sucks. I wish I was in the position to buy a farm now versus the 20 years before I can start looking........probably 10K an acre then.

I was just saying I didn't use it.No pheasants died. I know most of my friends up there who deer hunt also pheasant hunt.( Didn't know that fact though.) I was just trying to show its not all gloom and doom.:grin:

I like to see the fire and passion that you guys have for whitetails. I have to say that I am an outsider looking in, but we are fighting a similar issue in Kansas where I have hunted my entire life.

I do think Iowa has set the bar with the preference point system(one we used to have before the pull of the almighty $). I hate to hear some of the things you guys mention because I am a fan of the traveling hunter but I am more than willing to wait three years or more to have a chance at a quality whitetail in unfamiliar ground. We are seeing first hand what the invasion can do and it is truly sickening to those who know what it does to the herd structure in the long run. It's like these politicians think we'll have the same trophy class even after the writing is on the wall by looking at the history of other top notch whitetail destinations such as Illinois. I would love to come to Iowa someday and I hope all Iowa residents who care to travel have the chance to do the same in Kansas with a limited draw.

I do want to comment on something I read earlier and we hear it a lot in Kansas as well from NR and it drives me nuts. They talk about all the revenue created from their trip such as fuel, hotels, dining, blah,blah,blah. I think it's a big sob story because before the mess, residents were able to travel throughout the state and spend the same money in these towns that might just be far enough from home to commute back and forth. I know, this isn't the majority but tourism $'s need to stay out of the promotion of hunting, but I know that will never happen when you look at the numbers. God bless and best of luck with the fight. Stay strong!

Not so much.

https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/iowadnr/app/locFindPage.do?licnYear=2010&lottery=10

I know, anterless only, but with Iowa party hunting......

Irrational is right. Like I said in an earlier post, you then limit the hunters to the people you really don't want (High priced outfitters and weathly city people) and shut out the people you do want NR's who come in to hunt with relatives and the DIY guy hunting on public ground. Jacking the price up is counterproductive. It's some of the higest in the nation now. Right now it is a good balance with 6000. I would fight like crazy to try to keep it that way.

Thank you guys for the info!! Noted, and I retract my previous statement. Been in vegas all week, and that post was not thought through!!

Dang the more I see about what big bucks do to IA, IL etc...the more I like how MO is setup :D

IA should keep the same setup they do now if they want to remain the top big buck desination. Heck why not raffle off some of the tags so then a few pay 5,000 or more....that covers a lot of regular nr's and raffle off all the govenor's tags if they don't already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom