Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Over Marketed World

MO-APE

Who is sick of gratuitous outdoor promotions in every aspect of today's hunting shows and magazines? *I get it, we need advertisers but come on!
It sickens me to watch the Outdoor Channel anymore. Did you guys buy your Bone Collector toilet paper & toothbrush? What about your BBD (Big Buck Down) underwear?

I dont watch them live anymore due to the commercials, I hate em. I DVR everything and FF thru the commercials.
So I've never even heard of Bone collector TP! But thats pretty funny stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree it's OVER THE TOP. Marketing and commercialization are a part of capitalism (which is great) but I simply tune out when it gets to this degree. That's how free-market will work- we tune out when it goes over the top. It's precisely why I haven't bought a video or magazine & rarely watch tv. Not saying there's isn't some great gigs out there- there is BUT, for me, it just got to be too much.

*the other part of this discussion- how much do we pay OVER THE TOP for heavy-marketed hunting items. Like I went to buy a peep site (no tube, just a plastic circle)- a .25 cent piece of plastic with "G5" on it was $10!!!!! Or $.50 cent Limb Savers being $12 (or more depending on what you get). I also think HUNTER'S PRODUCTS are the MOST EXTREME MARKED UP & PRICE-GOUGED products out there. Another topic for another day I guess. :)

Do you mean like the last Drury dvd I'll ever buy, where Terry got lasik eye surgery and then went down to the "RICHARD PETTY EXPERIENCE"? That was a joke. Had nothing to do with the storyline and +plus+ Terry acted like he was blind the rest of the dvd. That's great promotion for LASIK!

Truthfully, that was the last hunting celeb dvd I ever bought and likely ever will.

I will wipe my butt with Bone Collector TP any day of the week.
It's soft to the touch and has a pine cover scent that will help me shoot a 200 incher, every year!
:moon:

With that said.......If I was fortunate enough to have my own show, I'd be pimpin everything, to provide for my family too. :drink1:

Anything to make a buck or kill a buck. I refuse to support any of those type products or the people associated with them. Gotta love the catch phrases some of these guys come up with to.:rolleyes: The list of hunting products I buy has gotten pretty slim......

I'll have to track down that Drury video with the shameless Lasik plugs. If you think about it, on some of these shows it is worse than Nascar. Agreed, there are a few great ones out there and they need sponsors to survive. One show I watched, the guy had the gusto to say "I wouldn't have had a chance at that buck if it wasn't for my Bad Boy Buggy and my Primos Wind Checker (a little bottle with powder that he sprayed in the air)".

I actually used to like Michael Waddell as he was emerging, but he is now the worst and the culprit behind Bone Collector. If you haven't heard of Bone Collector, Google it and see all the products they have. I bet they have 2,500 products with their moniker on it...and yes, probably do have toilet paper.

Sligh1, you are lucky that G5 peep wasn't a Bone Collector model you would have paid an additional 20% premium. I just bought a Bushnell trail cam that was $169, they had the BC model (same exact camera and technology) for $199. I'm pretty sure the deer don't care about the logo, maybe it is for the trespassers who rip off our stuff?

With that said.......If I was fortunate enough to have my own show, I'd be pimpin everything, to provide for my family too. :drink1:

I guess I am glad I am not fortunate enough to have my own show.
I could not stretch the truth as far as some do just to sell something.

JNR,
I agree with you completely.
If I do go it will be to see a few familiar faces.

Last edited:
I don't have a single problem with it. It is the way of our economy capitalism rocks! if these guys can make a living doing what they love more power to them. Not one of you could tell me if you had the chance to hunt for a living and have a tv show that you wouldnt try to make as much money as you possibly could by slapping your john hancock on everything. I always remember these people didnt luck their way into riches, ground and a hunting career they had to bust their ass for years and take a lot of gambles hoping they would pay off.
Also manufacturers wouldn't use them if it didn't work

Randy,

I agree with most of this post but the Classic is attended for a variety of different reasons. I took my buck down there a few years ago because I was:

1) proud as hell to have shot him
2) wanted to let many IW members look the buck over in person
3) visit face-to-face with many IW/OO members (if I remember right it was our first meeting in '08)
4) admire the great animals that are continuously shot by hunters in this state

I continue to go most years as I still enjoy #3 and #4. This afternoon I am taking my twin 10 year olds for the first time. Hopefully this trip will contribute to the fostering of their interest in the outdoors as something we can share together more in the years to come.

Do I enjoy the overkill of celeb hype and marketing in our sport, heck no it makes me want to heave some days. :mad: Will it curb my passion for the sport or my participation in online communities like IW or OO, no way either. Just solidifies my admiration for a select few of the pros which do conduct themselves in a more humble and educational manner. Those traits are the ones I find myself migrating towards more and more.

Not one of you could tell me if you had the chance to hunt for a living and have a tv show that you wouldnt try to make as much money as you possibly could by slapping your john hancock on everything. Also manufacturers wouldn't use them if it didn't work

I wouldn't.

Honest and integrity are worth more to me than any amount of money.

Would I do a tv show I might but I would really believe in the products that I advertise and not pimp everything just to make a dollar.

I think the deer whistle and the scent lok suit are two items that come to
mind on the manufacturer believing in their products?

Last edited:
I wouldn't.

picture.php

:drink1:
;)
:grin:
:D

It's to a point that they need to realize they are losing viewers and won't be able to negotiate as big of deals because their entire shows are freaking advertisements. These shows are on the verge of infomercials. They need more balance.

Top Bottom