Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Slobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start off in saying that by NO MEANS am I saying that everyone that hunts public land or values its recreational purposes is a slob.

Now with that disclamer....while out walking a new piece to me in Decatur County looking for sheds and for the joy of being outside....I couldn't help but shake my head at so many things. I put on several miles today in remote parts of the public here are the top 3 things I noticed.....

#1. The amount of TRASH that people leave behind is REDICULOUS. If you carry it in, carry it out. I think I saw just as many beer/pop cans back there as HOT HANDS. For gosh sakes people, they are POCKET SIZE, there is NO REASON that you shouldnt take them out with you! And take your freaking cans with you too.

#2. I ran across a sign attached to a tree...upon further investigation it was attached there for a reason. it read something like this "to the person whole stole items off my treestand, thank you for ruining me and my boys opening day bow hunt. FYI, I will find out who you are, where your tree stand is...this proves to me one thing and that's that no one can be trusted, including myself. Just remember what goes around, comes around". This angers me in the fact that someones possible joyful memory and hunt with his dad turned into a bad memory and loss of trust for any one else that hunts the area.

#3. I wouldn't ever post something like this usually...but purely because your lack of respect to public land and the opportunity that the state of Iowa provides you and NUMBEROUS rule infractions I'm hoping that the owner of this tree stand set is on here and will get there butts out there and change some things...however I realize that its not a likely thing to happen. DNR will be getting notification if its not down in a month and a half when I'll be back in there again. To refresh your memory....

HERE is where your stand is located....

423468_565687172599_138801477_31295348_465562130_n.jpg

This is what your stand looks like...and should have been removed 7 days after the season closed.....a violation.

427526_565687247449_138801477_31295351_48558151_n.jpg

These are the screw in steps that you are using....again...a violation.

422526_565687222499_138801477_31295349_914539218_n.jpg

And lastly....here is the set of HOT HANDS that you dropped out from your treestand....again....another violation and what ultimately brought me to making this post. pick up your SH-T! :thrwrck:
419037_565687237469_138801477_31295350_2114956649_n.jpg

Respect what your given, respect what others do for you, gladly repay the favor without thinking twice and you will make it a long way in this world. Hopefully you will see where I am coming from.

I am from Illinois and just spent the last 2 weekends scouting Appanoose County public. I picked up other's trash all along the way, including ribbons in trees. Yes that's illegal too. I leave nothing in the woods, and only take out GPS coordinates. Just lean a couple sticks against the specific trees I mark.

I also GPSed 2 ladder stands and e-mailed the coordinates to a CO.

During my trip I found a lot of trees spray painted with orange spots. At first I thought these were marked for cutting, but no I think it was just someone marking entry routes? They were all over the place. Hundreds of them.

I am thankful that folks have the opportunity to hunt public land if they choose to. I am thankful I have chosen to never step foot on public land though.

i might go hikeing or something on public but i would never put a stand or blind on it. just to many dishonest people!

remember guys alot of people are not as fortunate as some and MUST hunt on public ground, and the rate its going if you do not have family or friends who own land you are going to be SOL.

I would go ahead and tell your local DNR agent about the stand, they'll gladly go take it down since it has treesteps screwed into the tree. Like you said, that's clearly a violation.

I was hunting a chunk of public during October of 2010, I heard a pick up pull up & some guys get out...shortly after I heard a grinder so I got out of my blind & went to inspect. Low and behold it was a DNR guy & another worker pulling down a treestand that had screw in steps & was chained to the tree. I nicely told him where another stand was (likely from the same guy). Needless to say this season those trees did not have stands in them. I think he learned his lesson (at least in that spot).

Those two DNR officers ruined my hunt that morning....but at least they got two illegally put up stands. I was glad that they came, honestly.

I don't understand peoples stealing. How would you feel if you walked to your favorite spot with your boy to hunt & your stand was missing? Not a good feeling, huh? Now, sit back & think of the hunt you ruined b/c you couldn't resist the temptation to take someone's stand. I mean honestly.....

We all need to work together to keep the public lands clean. We all complain that there isn't enough available for the amount of hunters. So, let's not trash what we have.

In my opinion Iowa should adopt the same sort of law Wisconsin has, and that is that you can't leave stands up overnight on public land, ever. That would cut down on the bullcrap a little bit, just make everyone pack in a stand and sticks and pack them out when they're done. I hunt both public and private land and it pisses me off to no end to find stands still up this time of year on public ground, as well as all the trash. Some guys just have no respect for the law or other hunters, or the environment.

Don't get why you're so heeled up about a stand still up. Sh1t happens and people get busy. I still have s couple stands up I haven't had a chance to get to. Wanna rat me out too?

Don't get why you're so heeled up about a stand still up. Sh1t happens and people get busy. I still have s couple stands up I haven't had a chance to get to. Wanna rat me out too?

I think if you read the post over, you will notice that its not just the stands, its the trash, and other junk that this guy has done.

Oh btw, get your stands out of there. :grin:

looks like typical public hunting land, no one knows how to read the rule book. Thats why I always carry extras with me in zip lock bags and tape them to violators treestands

If a stand is left up after the allotted time, what happens to it? Does it become state property? Free for the taking? I could take you to 5-7 stands and sticks right now...

I'm suprised you only found one. I can easily think of 10 or so stands off the top of my head that are out on public right now, and most of them have screw in steps. Several of them have been up for multiple years with how the tree is growing into them.

I know a place thats public had a web lawn chair 20 FT. up in a tree?????????? This dude wanted to hunt and be comfortable!!!!!!:confused: He also had alot of energy and very few brains!!!!!!!!:thrwrck: Not sure if it's still there or not!!!

Actually if I really wanted to "rat" him out, I would have called the DNR immediately. This gives him a chance. And as mentioned before, its not the fact that the stand is still there...but that he is taking the natrual reasource for granted. Leaving trash directly under his tree... and using screw in steps when they are illegal. I understand that people get busy and may not get to them....but plain and simple, this person isn't "busy", but just plain disrespectful. That would be why I made the post. :way:

It doesn't take long to take down a stand. You had the time to put it up (which takes longer imo) but not the time to take it down?

I've come to really rely on my Lone Wolf climber considering I only hunt public.

I really struggle with this regulation.. What is it bothering if somebody has a stand out past the season or not?? Is it interfering with your time in the woods or something? I understand rules are rules, but I'm sure we all speed at one time or another.. I don't see why some guys get so worked up about this reg.. They are just causing more damage to their equip the longer they leave it out there, so it's really a detriment to them more than it is anybody else..

I wonder what the regs would say if somebody was using a stand in the off season for photography.. Is that illegal?

There is no excuse for litter. But to continue my Devil's Advocate post, isn't a broken arrow that's never recovered or a spent shotgun shell also litter? I understand there is no excuse to not carry out your hand warmers and most guys will make every effort to carry out their spent shells and make every effort to find an arrow. I just brought those up because I've ran into both while shed hunting..

Reason is, that's the law. If you can't play by the rules, you shouldnt be playing at all.

I don't get too worked up if the stand doesn't have anything screwed into the tree & is hung otherwise legal. But, if it's got screw in steps, my blood gets pretty hot. I found several of those this year. One call to the local DNR guy and you'll fix that.

I was told that they have an auction & sell the equipment they confiscate at the end of the summer the next year. I've not been to one, but I'm sure they have plenty of treestands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom