Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Slobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only hunt public and seeing treestands up this time of year upsets me. There are 2 possible reasons for leaving a treestand:
1. Protecting a spot to hunt - There has been tons of discussions on here about how far away you should set up from somebody and how people get upset if someone gets too close. Well, a treestand is a pretty good indicator someone is hunting there and to stay out of the area.

2. They are lazy - They take time to hand the stand, probably make multiple trips to hunt out of it, but can't make it back at the end of the season to take it down?

If you can leave treestands up all year, where does it stop then? Just treestands since they don't hurt anything? What about a ground blind? If I can leave a treestand up I should be able to leave a ground blind up. If I can leave a ground blind up because it doesn't hurt anything then why couldn't I build a semi-permanent one on public land and leave it there. What about a tower stand? I should be able to set it up in the middle of a field and leave it there all year?

Well, heck, since we can leave all of that stuff, I might just build me a hunting cabin on public this year. Why not? Using your logic, it doesn't hurt anything and laws don't matter.

burrynuts said:
I only hunt public and seeing treestands up this time of year upsets me. There are 2 possible reasons for leaving a treestand:
1. Protecting a spot to hunt - There has been tons of discussions on here about how far away you should set up from somebody and how people get upset if someone gets too close. Well, a treestand is a pretty good indicator someone is hunting there and to stay out of the area.

2. They are lazy - They take time to hand the stand, probably make multiple trips to hunt out of it, but can't make it back at the end of the season to take it down?

If you can leave treestands up all year, where does it stop then? Just treestands since they don't hurt anything? What about a ground blind? If I can leave a treestand up I should be able to leave a ground blind up. If I can leave a ground blind up because it doesn't hurt anything then why couldn't I build a semi-permanent one on public land and leave it there. What about a tower stand? I should be able to set it up in the middle of a field and leave it there all year?

Well, heck, since we can leave all of that stuff, I might just build me a hunting cabin on public this year. Why not? Using your logic, it doesn't hurt anything and laws don't matter.

Hahaha! A cabin and a tree stand are two different things... Leave your blind Idc... Weather will ruin it...let's be a little more logical here...why whine about a tree stand? Did you hit your head as well? ;) I could see if you killed the big deer like I kill, you'd have a reason to complain, because my bucks may catch there antlers on them... Ha ;)

If a DNR officer wants a stand down that has been out past the time, he should do it. Is it all right for us then to bust poachers and take their guns and truck? Would they want us to do that too? Are they too busy doing mineral lick station stake outs? If I can remember right...isn't stealing somewhere in the 10 commandments? I guess the government says it's ok to steal from the rich...it must be ok. It's no wonder we separate church and state these days. JMO

Just take the stand. You will pry have a good shot at the Nobel Peace Prize or at least sportsman of the year. What good is going to come of taking the stand? Then next season if you plan to hunt the property you better pack in and pack out because one morning or evening you will be headed to your spot and get there and your stand will be gone. Then what? There will be another whining thread on IW (got to my stand this morning and somebody stole it:( i dont know why people would do such a thing:( Im so mad:mad:blah blah blah). I would leave the stand get over it and start worrying about more important things, like the world ending:way:

Cooter said:
Isn't that every law breakers mentality? AKA criminals. Your something.

Mobile Cooter using IW

I think his "breaking the law" this is a little less worse than the law you break by stealing their stand. Also I know state and fed laws supersedes the dnrs laws/regulations.

Thinkin Rut said:
If a DNR officer wants a stand down that has been out past the time, he should do it. Is it all right for us then to bust poachers and take their guns and truck? Would they want us to do that too? Are they too busy doing mineral lick station stake outs? If I can remember right...isn't stealing somewhere in the 10 commandments? I guess the government says it's ok to steal from the rich...it must be ok. It's no wonder we separate church and state these days. JMO

Very well put.

I too can't stand the trash on the public ground I hunt. Only differnece where I hunt I know some of what I see every year is flood trash, still trash, and an eyesore and a disgrace, but at least not from slobs out just leaving most of it. I pick up what looks safe to handle when I can and never leave any behind.

As for the comments that took over this post.......

Well put Rut.
And anyone who thinks it is ok if they take the stand down that is there too early before season, or too late after season, that is total crap. We individual hunters have no right to enforce the regulations, but rather follow them and report the breaking of them to the proper athorities. OK, you don't hunt public, but you think it is OK for someone else to take that stand, where does that stop? It probably won't and the next thing you know you have guys taking stands down DURING season, cause gosh I haven't seen anyone sitting in this stand so far this season, and it's public land, it's OK if I am a theif here, no one will know. Had it happen to me during season, and while following the regulations, and with cable locks on the stands and sticks. If I would ever happen to come up on someone taking a stand of mine, I would beat them to within an inch of their life, and their jerk friend standing next to them thinking it is ok. I hate theives and a thief is some one taking something that does not belong to them, bottom line.

deeraddict said:
I too can't stand the trash on the public ground I hunt. Only differnece where I hunt I know some of what I see every year is flood trash, still trash, and an eyesore and a disgrace, but at least not from slobs out just leaving most of it. I pick up what looks safe to handle when I can and never leave any behind.

As for the comments that took over this post.......

Well put Rut.
And anyone who thinks it is ok if they take the stand down that is there too early before season, or too late after season, that is total crap. We individual hunters have no right to enforce the regulations, but rather follow them and report the breaking of them to the proper athorities. OK, you don't hunt public, but you think it is OK for someone else to take that stand, where does that stop? It probably won't and the next thing you know you have guys taking stands down DURING season, cause gosh I haven't seen anyone sitting in this stand so far this season, and it's public land, it's OK if I am a theif here, no one will know. Had it happen to me during season, and while following the regulations, and with cable locks on the stands and sticks. If I would ever happen to come up on someone taking a stand of mine, I would beat them to within an inch of their life, and their jerk friend standing next to them thinking it is ok. I hate theives and a thief is some one taking something that does not belong to them, bottom line.

Well put...if only they could figure it out...

bowhntin said:
Well put...if only they could figure it out...

You don't get it, its against the rules and regulations. Bottom line. I don't give whether or not someone is complaining about it and you don't think its necessary to talk about it. It's about ethics, and by you saying "yes I know its against the rules, but what does it hurt?" shows me that you're not a very ethical person, which is unfortunate.

It's best to stop trying to convince the "other side" that your stance is right because its pointless, there are people who abide by rules and regulations, and there are people who don't.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using IW

Last edited by a moderator:
hawkjosh22 said:
You don't get it, its against the rules and regulations. Bottom line. I don't give a $hit whether or not someone is complaining about it and you don't think its necessary to talk about it. It's about ethics, and by you saying "yes I know its against the rules, but what does it hurt?" shows me that you're not a very ethical person, which is unfortunate.

It's best to stop trying to convince the "other side" that your stance is right because its pointless, there are people who abide by rules and regulations, and there are people who don't.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using IW

I myself abide the rules and regulations...but is there not a better topic to discuss? Oh boy, "I found a tree stand still hanging on public ground" "I'm heated" ha get real...you're looking for something to whine about...suppose you take them as well huh? You rebels ... Taking a tree stand because youre "heated." Is there not a better thing to be "heated" about or is your life just that boring? God forbid the person that left there stand up to long may kill a bigger doe than you... Is that it? Or is it that, he may kill his doe sooner? I don't blame you some of them have a real nice set of ears on them... ;)

Roses are red
Violets are blue
If anyone can make this thread finally die
God, I know its You!

PLEASE LET THIS DIE!!!

bowhntin...I've come to the conclusion that you deserve your treestands stolen and I'm willing to bypass the 10 Commandments to do so:grin: Now, where are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom