Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Slobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in total agreement about people who litter being slobs. I pack out everything I take in, no candy bar wrappers, pop bottles, etc left behind. Well, the exception is TP but that is highly degradable.

I don't use screw in steps. I do screw in my EZ hanger but I take it with me when I leave.

My stands are still up. YES I do need to get them out and I will but to be honest I see no harm in leaving them till I can get a free weekend. Somebody said taking them down is easy but you still have to haul them out on foot so it's usually an all day task. Most of my stands are a mile on foot from the parking areas. My goal is to get them out by turkey season.

hawkjosh22 said:
Yeah it's real hard. :rolleyes:

Honestly I don't think I could hunt if I had to haul everything in and out with me. I already carry a pack full of everything I could need on an all day sit, plus a big bag full of all my layers of clothes, plus my bow. If I had to lug in a treestand and a ladder too .... Whoo Boy!!

Boy?? Ok "dad"... Stay in illinois and hunt if you don't like the way people hunt public land...I have ground to hunt and choose to stay away from public ground...in my opinion you shouldn't be allowed to hunt public ground...keep the out of staters away... Look at the pheasant population in southwest Iowa... Years ago you would see all kinds of out of staters here hunting them... Why? Because it was easy... Now you walk five miles and might see a hen if youre lucky. What happened to the out of staters? I guess you can pout all you want about a tree stand hanging in a tree for longer than it should be and hurting what??? Yeah it's the law, but just like every other American I catch myself not wearing my seatbelt or speeding at times...do you turn in people that speed? Your life is in danger when that occurs "dad." Worry about your Illinois problems first! Go Hawkeyes!

I have a better idea. If you don't like the laws in Iowa and don't like any nonresidents on the public, why don't you get the hell out? Try Afghanistan.

"...in my opinion you shouldn't be allowed to hunt public ground...keep the out of staters away..." Ok well then lets try this......in my opinion anyone who can't respect the laws and feels the need to pollute Iowa public land......shouldn't be allowed to hunt public ground....keep the polluters away...." How does that work for ya son?

On a side note I am happy as hell the pheasants are gone. The birders, guns, and dogs only ruined the Iowa public I hunted in the 90's. Thank god. RIP birds. They smothered Sedan Bottoms back in the day. Now just gotta get rid of the coon hunters.

MN Hunter said:
This same debate has been going on in Minnesota for a few years now. The main problem seems to be that, the "owner" of the tree stand that has been there the longest tries to claim ownership of the area the stand is in. I have read countless stories and game warden reports, and that is the conclusion I have drawn. The Wisconsin Law about packing it in and packing it out the same day tries to avoid this situation. I have also heard of people going "shopping" in the spring on public lands in Wisconsin. I personally havent done that or approve of it, but I'm sure that person will think twice about leaving a stand up for that amount of time.

Ok if some one has a stand up in the area I want to hunt even better, now I don't have to work to put up a stand ill just use their stand.

Zim said:
I have a better idea. If you don't like the laws in Iowa and don't like any nonresidents on the public, why don't you get the hell out? Try Afghanistan.

"...in my opinion you shouldn't be allowed to hunt public ground...keep the out of staters away..." Ok well then lets try this......in my opinion anyone who can't respect the laws and feels the need to pollute Iowa public land......shouldn't be allowed to hunt public ground....keep the polluters away...." How does that work for ya son?

On a side note I am happy as hell the pheasants are gone. The birders, guns, and dogs only ruined the Iowa public I hunted in the 90's. Thank god. RIP birds. They smothered Sedan Bottoms back in the day. Now just gotta get rid of the coon hunters.

Your kidding right? About the pheasants being gone. If u think that's a good thing that the birds are gone you are a moron.

Its not that hard to pack your standard in and out every time.
Just takes the right setup. Here is mine.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120309_224515.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120309_224515.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 50
Zim said:

Thanks for proving my point... You're a typical out of state moron who shows no respect for the land and habitat...congrats the birds are gone...feel good about it?? Take your "forty" years of deer hunting and stick it up your a$$ I you're that kind of person... So glad we can welcome knotheads such as yourself here to hunt on public land....you're just As worthless as the post I just quoted...glad for clowns like you... You give me something to do when I'm not Huntin the non existent pheasants to keep deer hunters off of public land... Thanks for all that you do...you proved yourself as a clown...

Cooter said:
Its not that hard to pack your standard in and out every time.
Just takes the right setup. Here is mine.

Mobile Cooter using IW

You shouldn't have to pack your stand in and out every night...respect the land and people that hunt around you and maybe they'll respect you as well...

While i grew up pheasant hunting i too don't really care to much that the pheasants aren't around in big numbers.. the pheasant hunters would always ruin the deer hunting... it used to be like shotgun season for deer except every weekend. plus you have to remember they are not native to north America. So I'm definitely glad every tom dick and harry doesn't come to south west Iowa to pheasant hunt anymore. Obviously i like seeing pheasants around but pheasant hunting comes in last compared to deer, turkey and waterfowl. As far as for tree stands being left up, the law says they have to come down so take them down. the same goes for leaving decoy spreads on public waters or any other law.. you may not agree with it nor see the point of it but it is the law so follow it accordingly

Last edited:
Bowhntin you need to LIGHTEN UP MAN!!!

no doubt...20 posts, all on this thread.

Hawkjosh, i'm pretty sure i meant the WI law is STUPID!

Why should people have to pack their stands out each time they leave public ground? Think about how that stupid law would affect ladder stands.

If the dip$hits (as they were previously described) would just take their stands down on their last hunt and FOLLOW THE CURRENT LAW, we wouldn't have to mimic WI. Besides, if they can't follow the current law, what makes you think they'd follow the WI law?

You shouldn't have to pack your stand in and out every night...respect the land and people that hunt around you and maybe they'll respect you as well...
Practice what you preach my friend. You haven't given anyone any respect on this topic. I'm done with it. You can take your pissing contest somewhere else.

MN Hunter said:
Practice what you preach my friend. You haven't given anyone any respect on this topic. I'm done with it. You can take your pissing contest somewhere else.

Not trying to cause trouble...just my opinion...out of staters shouldnt even really have a say about a tree stand on public ground...everyone forgets that its public ground and at any time anybody can be on it ...I respect everyone's opinion but disagree with most on this topic... If we would quit bitching about a tree stand hanging in a tree to long and use that energy to pick up a little garbage instead our public lands would be better...yet once again it's only a tree stand boys...save your energy...I've yet to hear a non hunter complain about a tree stand up in a tree after season...why is that? Maybe because it's not hurting a thing...

While i grew up pheasant hunting i too don't really care to much that the pheasants aren't around in big numbers.. the pheasant hunters would always ruin the deer hunting... it used to be like shotgun season for deer except every weekend. plus you have to remember they are not native to north America. So I'm definitely glad every tom dick and harry doesn't come to south west Iowa to pheasant hunt anymore. Obviously i like seeing pheasants around but pheasant hunting comes in last compared to deer, turkey and waterfowl. As far as for tree stands being left up, the law says they have to come down so take them down. the same goes for leaving decoy spreads on public waters or any other law.. you may not agree with it nor see the point of it but it is the law so follow it accordingly
Well since they cant come down and pheasant hunt anymore they spend their time shooting your shed bucks that didnt shed till 2 weeks after the season closed:way:

Well since they cant come down and pheasant hunt anymore they spend their time shooting your shed bucks that didnt shed till 2 weeks after the season closed:way:
hahahaha you are such a funny dude.. but there were still plenty of bucks shed out in jan.:D

bowhntin said:

Never said you should have to pack your stand in and out every time just pointing out it isn't that hard with the right setup.

Personally when I did hunt public it gave me better piece of mind when my stand wasn't out there for someone else to take or use.

As far as leaving stands up it doesn't take some trees to grow quite a bit and start growing around chains or straps. I know it's not seven days tho.

-}}}---------->

This same debate has been going on in Minnesota for a few years now. The main problem seems to be that, the "owner" of the tree stand that has been there the longest tries to claim ownership of the area the stand is in. I have read countless stories and game warden reports, and that is the conclusion I have drawn. The Wisconsin Law about packing it in and packing it out the same day tries to avoid this situation. I have also heard of people going "shopping" in the spring on public lands in Wisconsin. I personally havent done that or approve of it, but I'm sure that person will think twice about leaving a stand up for that amount of time.

Bingo! I've had idiots walk up and try to "evict" me from spots they didn't hunt near for 3 weeks! Then they show up and think they own the place. Also if the state had no rules on this you might be surprised how many stands would be polluting the landscape.

Bowhunting, really you need to do everyone a favor and get the hell out of Iowa. Snot nosed kid using your parents computer.

And I was wrong. I am not happy pheasants are gone........I am ecstatic. All it did was result in all the guys with private running to the public and shootin it up, then running back to their private to deer hunt! Because they didn't want to crap up their private. But they're more than happy to crap up public.

RIP birds! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom