Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage broadheads

Bearcat

Okay everyone, I have a question. Are the Rage broadheads as good as everyone makes them out to be? If so, will sighting them in using only the "practice" head be sufficient, or should you sacrifice a "real" one to make sure it is truly sighted in. What do you think? I am currently using Spitfire 100 grain. I like them but some planing occurs no matter what I do.

I have had great results with rage heads. I have been using them since they came out and have not had a single problem. I only sight in with the practice head. The only time i have heard of problems is with shoulder shots. Although i have blown through both shoulders on a mature doe. Just my experience.

Sight in with the practice head and you should be spot on with the real heads in my experience. I did sacrifice a new head the first year I shot them just to make sure. Been using them since they came out also, and the only issues I have had is when I have messed up and made a poor shot, that can happen with any head. No matter what your shooting it has to be placed in the right spot.

You'll be fine using the practice tip to sight in. I've shot 19 deer with the rage 2 blade and have had tremendous results, but with that said there are alot of great broadheads that with proper shot placement will be as effective. Although I can say, I have never seen holes like what the Rage opens up. Check out the new NAP Killzone also. It's a similar design to the Rage, but seems to be a more solid head :way:

i do practice with the practice heads, but in my experience, they fly just like my field tips.
i love my rage broadheads! i've blown right through a buck's shoulder with them and have yet to have any deer go more than 100 yards.

Rage 2-blade all the way! Ill stop shooting them when they stop making them. Ive shot them since they came out as well and havnt got one thing to complain about. Ppl that dont like them are usually people that havnt tried them or just quickly follow the next new thing that gets endorsed, or are just too stuborn to stray away from fixed blades of the past. Try em out youll love them!

I too shoot Rage and have had good success. If you feel the need to shoot your broadheads simply wrap the blades with a little dental floss and the blades will not deploy.

Are you guys getting passthroughs??? I have only shot two animals with a 2 blade rage and didn't get passthroughs one either. One buck and a bear, both were center punched (no shoulder) and no pass, though both were recovered I couldn't believe the penitration wasn't better.

Shoot them in the guts and you'll be fine.:rolleyes: :drink1:

Truthfully I've seen some knarly holes from the 2 blade rages BUT I've heard just about as many horror stories as well. I just feel there's better heads out there.

I use them. Having tried both a prefer the 3 blade. I just prefer the hole over the slice. I have had the two blade cut plug, even that big hole and reduce the blood trail pretty bad but still found the deer. Only time I did not get true pass through with 2 blade was a liver shot on a buck broad side at 30. That one buried to the vanes with the broad head out the other side. Three blade has always completely passed through except last year when it buried in the offside shoulder on a hard quartering away shot on a large buck. I think the 3 blade penetrates better. shooting 29.5/70. Went on my first elk hunt this year and would not think of using a rage there. Mostly due to the fact that I did not want a blade opening up on a stalk. Found a fixed blade head I am very happy with as far as flight and durability and look forward to trying it on a deer soon.

blakesburg said:
Are you guys getting passthroughs??? I have only shot two animals with a 2 blade rage and didn't get passthroughs one either. One buck and a bear, both were center punched (no shoulder) and no pass, though both were recovered I couldn't believe the penitration wasn't better.

On the rage advertisement movie thing when they first came out they didn't have hardly any pass-thrus, but they did kill the hell out of stuff

I have shot them for a while now and I haven't lost a deer. I do shoot the 3 blade just for a little more kinetic energy. Pass throughs are never a problem. Problem is replacing the blades when u pull the arrow out of the dirt on a pass thru and ding up the blades. They need to come up with a better system then the little Allen screws that strip out all the time. Gonna try the new chisel tips this year. They look pretty nasty out of the package.

The way I see it, a fixed blade can't fail. Mechanicals fail too much. It happens to people every year. I'm glad there have been people having luck with them, but mechanicals, especially rage are either hit or miss. You couldn't pay me to use a mechanical, especially not rage. They do great for a lot of people and that's great, but I'm not going to take chances. Fixed blade for me.

All my shots have been pass throughs. Once was through both shoulders as well. They leave great holes and great blood trails and I haven't had any problems with them.

My buddy shot a buck this morning (in missouri) and he said he was probably around 160, he was using a rage broadhead, he told me he shot it a little low, but the shot still looked okay, the deer ran aways and stopped, he shot it again. He gave the deer 2 hours and went out to trail him, he found good blood at first but it fizzled out. He didn't find his deer, but also, he shot low the first shot, the second shot was back, a gut shot the way it sounded.

That does suck, those gut shot just deer dont bleed for long if at all. Real tough to find this early in the year as well.

Top Bottom