Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage broadheads

I've killed deer with rages before with pretty good success. I just didn't care for them deploying at the smallest bump. Just talked to a buddy who just came back from elk hunting and had a heartbreaking experience with a rage. Shot an elk at 30 yards, got 2" of penetration and the arrow fell out. The broadhead snapped off at the insert upon hitting what must have been a rib. Never had a prayer of finding the elk. Not saying it can't happen with any other head, but it was a rage and thought I should share.

I just think there are other options with less to worry about. That being said, I'm shooting smoke ramcats this year, and boy they are mean looking. Can't wait to try them.

shadowpeople said:
I've killed deer with rages before with pretty good success. I just didn't care for them deploying at the smallest bump. Just talked to a buddy who just came back from elk hunting and had a heartbreaking experience with a rage. Shot an elk at 30 yards, got 2" of penetration and the arrow fell out. The broadhead snapped off at the insert upon hitting what must have been a rib. Never had a prayer of finding the elk. Not saying it can't happen with any other head, but it was a rage and thought I should share.

I just think there are other options with less to worry about. That being said, I'm shooting smoke ramcats this year, and boy they are mean looking. Can't wait to try them.

Did he check his equipment before going out? Something had to stress that head more than a rib to snap it off. Maybe he fell with his bow in his hand and that arrow noc'd? Im not saying it couldnt happen but you would have to have a lot more force than the head hitting a rib to break it clean off and 2" of penetration to boot!

Did he check his equipment before going out? Something had to stress that head more than a rib to snap it off. Maybe he fell with his bow in his hand and that arrow noc'd? Im not saying it couldnt happen but you would have to have a lot more force than the head hitting a rib to break it clean off and 2" of penetration to boot!

I don't know for sure, and I was not there. However, i do know the guy, and i know he is very particular to detail. In any case, even at a naked eye inspection of the head prior to shooting, likely would not reveal a stress crack in the brittle material. Maybe he had fallen, maybe he didn't but falling with an arrow in hand or on the bow wouldn't necessarily be worse than an arrow impact. There is a lot of kinetic energy that is released with an arrow. Pretty sure my arrow will go through a piece of plywood, but i cant stick it through the same sheet of plywood by hand. Elk are tough big boned animals, and maybe it was just bad luck. I just shared his experience, take from it what you wish.

Top Bottom