Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rifle usage HF 2047

Fishbonker

Life Member
HF 2047 would allow rifles using straight wall cartridges to be used in any season by disabled hunters and by youth during any gun season. The bill specifies only the cartridges used for pistols or revolvers may be used in rifles.

Filed with a long list of sponsors.

Seems like a stepping stone to allowing rifles in Iowa instead of shotgun slugs. We already have enough gun accidents every year, do we really want our youth shooting high-powered rifles?

I have a .44 Mag pistol, as well as a lever action rifle in .44 Mag. It's legal now to hunt with the pistol, so how is it more dangerous to shoot the same round out of a rifle???? Not saying I'm a fan of the bill, just think that safety isn't the key to defeating it.

Maybe look at the tons of other already legal weapons that they could use instead?

Also, I don't like the proposed "any season" for disabled hunters.

We have a similar law here in Ohio like this but ours let everyone during gun season to use one but everyone I know still uses their slug gun who wants to spend 800 bucks on a 45-70 or whatever that will only shoot 100 yards I'm not a fan of the law but it pasted I don't think you guys have much to worry about a lot of guys probably won't spend that kind of money for their kids to hunt now a person disabled might but that's better then a kid letting the bullets fly in my opinion

Those caliburs are hardly high power. Far from it in my opinion.

What about 45-70, 460 s&W, 500 s&W magnum, etc? All legal
50 Beuwolf is available in an AR-15 platform with 30 round magazines.
I don't know the exact definition of a high powered rifle but these would qualify as one to me. Check the ballistics of some of these cartridges when fired from a long barreled weapon - easily a 200-300 yard weapon.

What about 45-70, 460 s&W, 500 s&W magnum, etc? All legal 50 Beuwolf is available in an AR-15 platform with 30 round magazines. I don't know the exact definition of a high powered rifle but these would qualify as one to me. Check the ballistics of some of these cartridges when fired from a long barreled weapon - easily a 200-300 yard weapon.

True but what about guys using smokeless muzzleloaders already which shoot 500 yards. And my muzzy is a darn effective 200-250 yard weapon .

True but what about guys using smokeless muzzleloaders already which shoot 500 yards. And my muzzy is a darn effective 200-250 yard weapon .

Very true - some muzzleloaders are amazingly accurate at very long range - but that is only ONE shot
Some of these cartridges are available in AR platforms with 30 rounds mags and that changes things.

I'm all for legit disabled hunters having the ability to stay in the sport but unfortunately a disabled hunter is a doctors excuse away.

I know little about this but I'll float it and I'm not sure Iowa participates. A pa game officer told me that the pa game commission receives money from the us dept of interior based on hunting type weapons sales. The dept of the interior collects a small tax on every hunting gun, bow, cross bow sold and reallocates a portion of that tax to state game offices. Pa welcomes the money because they receive no state money and self sustained through license sales. It partly explains the new weapon legislation from time to time. Keep in mind I listened to this as the officer spoke to a group at a nearby university so I assume he knows.

What about 45-70, 460 s&W, 500 s&W magnum, etc? All legal
50 Beuwolf is available in an AR-15 platform with 30 round magazines.
I don't know the exact definition of a high powered rifle but these would qualify as one to me. Check the ballistics of some of these cartridges when fired from a long barreled weapon - easily a 200-300 yard weapon.

Ballistics checked. Similar to a 12 gauge shooting modern day sabots/slugs. When it comes to ballistics or range, I'll take a good ML over either of these options any day of the week.

Saying a gun with an AR platform and being capable of 30 round magazines is a problem, is almost anti gun. I know you are not, but cosmetics and capacity hardly improves hunting gun functionality. Also, 30 round .50 Beuwolf mags? I would like to see one. Not saying they don't exist, I am sure they maybe do, I just can't imagine Jr. lugging one around. 10 round, sure.

I am with JNRBRONC in that I don't want to sound like I am for this, but none of you have expressed a legit concern for defeating this one.

Well I don't like it as I see it as just a step toward opening up to everyone. I admit besides some.possible multistage capabilities I'm having a hard time coming up with a good arguement. I guess I just don't like any more messing with our regs. I also don't see a reason why this is needed.

Ballistics checked. Similar to a 12 gauge shooting modern day sabots/slugs. When it comes to ballistics or range, I'll take a good ML over either of these options any day of the week.

Saying a gun with an AR platform and being capable of 30 round magazines is a problem, is almost anti gun. I know you are not, but cosmetics and capacity hardly improves hunting gun functionality. Also, 30 round .50 Beuwolf mags? I would like to see one. Not saying they don't exist, I am sure they maybe do, I just can't imagine Jr. lugging one around. 10 round, sure.

I am with JNRBRONC in that I don't want to sound like I am for this, but none of you have expressed a legit concern for defeating this one.

Here are some of my "legit" concerns:
-Youth using high power rifles to start their deer hunting careers. Yeah, lets let them shoot deer 300 yards away. It's a cake walk.
-I know shotguns have the ability for more than one shot but normally youth hunters use muzzleloaders due to the lighter recoil - this is one shot. This is how I began deer hunting and I was taught by my dad that I had one and only ONE shot so I needed to make sure it was a good shot opportunity.
-Passing this could start more people advocating for rifles to be used by everyone during deer season. I see no upside for having rifles for deer season.
-Comparing rifles to muzzleloaders is apples to oranges. Yes, you can shoot 300 yards with a muzzleloader but like Boyd said, you get ONE shot.

I just don't like tinkering with things that seem to work fine. Youth hunters get excellent "benefits" for being youth hunters - hunting before everyone else, a weapon of choice, and having a tag carry over for all seasons. I'm 22 years old and that seems like plenty for me even though I was a "youth" not terribly long ago.

There are plenty of effective weapons out there already. Kids already have it too easy. Bottom line is money is pushing it, not what's best for hunting or hunters, regardless of age or physical condition.

Maybe the best argument against it is that after years of liberal tags, the deer herd is at the "target" level and what herd management role would this new legislation offer?

I'm all for legit disabled hunters having the ability to stay in the sport but unfortunately a disabled hunter is a doctors excuse away.

I know little about this but I'll float it and I'm not sure Iowa participates. A pa game officer told me that the pa game commission receives money from the us dept of interior based on hunting type weapons sales. The dept of the interior collects a small tax on every hunting gun, bow, cross bow sold and reallocates a portion of that tax to state game offices. Pa welcomes the money because they receive no state money and self sustained through license sales. It partly explains the new weapon legislation from time to time. Keep in mind I listened to this as the officer spoke to a group at a nearby university so I assume he knows.

Pitman Robertson excise tax? If so been around since the '30s I believe. All states participate. There is also Dingell Johnson act but that is for fishing only.

This law is being written right now and is going to be proposed soon.
Are we for or against it?
What if the caliber was restricted to .44 or less - would that change anything?

I really value everyones opinion and we can make a difference as the law makers are definitely listening to us and asking for our input. Your IBA is working hard to keep Iowa a great place to hunt.

Top Bottom