Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RUT REPORT

Saw two crazy little bucks last night the one was twenty yards from the truck and could care less that we were there all he was doing was chasing a doe around. The other one was just running and kicking around like he was chasing a doe but there was none within 100 yards of him. It is definatly very close
waytogo.gif

Snuck out this morning before work and hunted till 9:00. Saw three does and rattled in one forkhorn buck - apparently he hasn't had his
bootyshake.gif
kicked by any big boys yet as he thought he was master of the timber. In my area of southwest Iowa we may be a week away from peak chasing.

Good luck to eveyone - I'm stuck in a wedding this weekend
smileys-wut.gif

Thrus. morn the 3rd looking off the deck of our cabin in to "THE BREEDING GROUNG" as we call it,4 doe 6 bucks 2 130 to 140, 4 dinks 45 min.Next morn 7 doe 8 bucks same thing bump and run,spar a bit and on there way.One was a nice 8 point with 4" drop on left side. All this is before I go to work,done watching now ,starting to hunt Sat.on Vac. all next week,it's GO TIME!!!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
2guns.gif
rambo.gif
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
peace.gif

I saw multiple bucks running hard last night. One 150 class buck with his nose so focused on the ground that he was oblivious to me in my truck with headlights on him 10 yards away. I watched him at that range for almost 2 minutes before he started to move across the field.

One 120 8 pointer this morning around 6:40 trotting along with his nose into the wind.
Where I am at things are definately picking up quickly.

Well i just got a call from my dad and the land owner came and talked to him today why he was at work. He asked if the two guys that came in last year(they shot a 140 8 point last year out of the stand that i was hunting in) could hunt in the stand this year. My dad said he really didnt want anyone out their because we already had things set up. So its just gonna be 3 of use hunting this year
grin.gif

Nov-4 didnt go out today because im with my sister in Lincoln. Im helping her with painting her house.
crazy.gif
But in a week ill be out in the stand at 6:15AM for rifle season waiting for the big one to come out!
grin.gif

I took off work at 2pm today, was at the property to hunt at 2:30, had the Lone Wolf hung and sitting down at 3pm. As I was knocking an arrow, I heard a deer blowing 60 yards away. I look over to see a doe standing in the creek bottom looking at me. It wasn't her snorting, but one of her unseen accomplices. They moved off.
Wasn't ten minutes and I hear something rustling in the bushes 20 yards the other side of me. Then I hear some grunting going on. I looked behind my stand to see a flash of antler out in the pasture, just outside of the timber. The glimpse I got made me think "shooter". He ran a loop out in the pasture then headed back into the bushes. I grunted, nothing.
Soon after, four antlerless deer start feeding my way. Three looked small, one decent sized. They must have been bedded close by, as the mature doe still had some droppings stuck to the side of her ham, must have laid in it. Of course the decent sized doe picks me out, doesn't know for sure what to make of me up in the tree, but doesn't like it. She hangs under me for what seemed an eternity, stamping and blowing. She hung around long enough that the droppings fell off. I thought about taking her out, but kept hoping that the buck would come charging in. They move off.
Just as shooting time was ending, I see a big body coming my way. Couldn't see the head but thought with a body that big, it has to have antlers. Nope, big old baldy. She picked me out too. I was going to arrow her since the day was almost done, but she didn't hang around.
This is the second time I've hunted this spot this year, the last time being about two weeks ago. I think I know which tree to hang the stand in next time, but I'm sure the deer will keep it interesting and change the travel trend.

Hi Everyone,

Story county here...was out this morning from 5:30am until 9:30. Saw 4 different bucks working the area and one really working a few does hard. The does weren't real interested yet. Nothing big this morning, but tonight driving around before dark saw a real nice 150-160 class 8 pt. Wish he'd cruise by tomorrow!!

Good luck everyone

still pretty slow here. Hunted all day yesterday, 1 small buck and doe around 7:15 am. Nothing else until 4:30 when a 100 class 8 and a 120 class 8 come through about ten minutes apart.Hunted morning and all afternoon today, nothin but a few does at dusk.

I drove around this morning and saw a buck and a doe bedded out in the middle of a field. Every time she would bed down he would. I'm sure she was about ready. I haven't seen to much crusing yet, so I hope their all not coming in yet.

I harvested my deer Thursday evening. He was chasing a doe...every buck I saw Thursday was on the trail of a doe. I'd say it's time!

Well i talked to some Louisana boys that hunt down here every year and said the got a Monster out by wree we hunt. Im guessing it wasnt even 150 yards away from were i hunt. It was a typical 8 but it was huge! I dought i can find pictures or anything like that but they were heading back to Louisana in a couple of days! Just thought i would let everyone know.

Northeast Iowa.... passed on 115" 8pt around 9am... saw 4 pt dogging doe around same time. At 1p.m. while leaving woods due to lightning and rain jumped 150" 8pt off scrape line.... then saw another very similar size buck 200 yards further with a couple of does in open timber.

Good time to rattle???? Too late??? What about a buck decoy? Just wondering if you guys have any tips for tommorrow. Thanks.

Northeast Iowa... at daybreak had a small 4pt chasing a doe all around my stand.... 30 minutes later I spot a nice looking buck from a distance 75 yards cruising thru.... I grab the antlers and rattle... he comes charging in and circles downwind of me. (140" 10pt).. should be a dandy next year. Does not wind me but gets suspicious and works off in opposite direction. At 11am a real nice 125" 2.5yr old buck gives me a perfect 15yd broadside shot (I pass).... relocated to different stand site around 3pm. Saw several does and a nice 130" 8pt cruise by near dark.... tried my Estrous Can call to see his reaction... showed no interest in it.... just kept on walking. Things should pick up in a few days after tommorrows warm weather.
smile.gif

Not seen too much chaseing in southern Iowa yet (Nov. 7). A little, but not much. I have seen a couple nice ones but we have trail camera pictures of about a half-dozzen nice ones (150+). I think that they are still hunkered down yet. It should change any moment now though. I have seen deer at any time of the day though.
HunterMan

I have been out the past 3 weekend in SW Wisconsin on the wisconsin Iowa border and the first 2 weekend were awesome saw lots of big bucks. This past weekend took some vacation and hunted friday, saturday, and sunday and saw 1 deer. Last year on the same weekend I had bucks every where. What Gives? Is the rut running about a week earlier then last year? And I hit the peak rut lull. Or just bad luck

Northeast Iowa..... got out a little later than planned this morning... didn't see any thing until 11:30 (doe)... saw my first buck of the day around 3:30 (basket 8pt).... then saw a 110" 8pt around 4:30pm... then rattled in 140" 10pt to 15 yards about 10 min. before dark
smile.gif
.... decided to pass. I think it was the same deer that I rattled in yesterday about 1/4 mile away. Things should get much better by weekend with the cooler weather....
cool.gif

Top Bottom