Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RUT REPORT

MNslick
Iowa has been confusing for me this year to say the least. I had not seen the typical chasing that usualluy occurs in early NOV.

I was in KS the 3rd through the 5th and it was gang busters down there and my dad and brother reported similar results in SE MN, lots of bucks on the move harrasing does.

2 buddys reported major chasing going on in east central IL as well at that time.

Iowa was dead still for me the 5th through the 14th. I only saw 8 bucks in those days. Pretty sad! I was hunting public ground mainly, but that has never been an issue in the past.

I had some reports from guys that they were seeing does being bread in late Oct., but I kinda of shrugged that off thinking OK maybe some early estrous older females, but no big deal!

So, I have 3 guesses.
1. Major breeding went off way early this year.
(OCT)
2.Major breeding is going to happen just b/4 turkey day. With this week being the week to be in the woods. (most likely answer IMO)
3. Or I have lost my mind
blush.gif
blush.gif

It was a very confusing year for me this year in Iowa to say the least. Especially since everything in SE MN seems to be going off on schedule. Does are getting bread right now in my neck of the woods.

NE Iowa on the other hand...can't give you a real good answer as to what has transpired up to now.

I hunted in NE Iowa 2003, and shot my buck I beleive NOV 4th and bucks were running pretty good at that time despite all the crappy wet weather. So my obsrevations for that year would be somewhat in line with yours! Best of Luck.
grin.gif

DOR, interesting observations. This year I was in Iowa from 10/30 through 11/5 when I connected on a great 10. I hunted on private land and saw 5 bucks that would make P and Y and a bunch of smaller ones. Some bucks showed rutting behavior while others seemed to be just moseying around acting indifferent. We had good response to rattling as well. Another buddy was also hunting private and saw some good bucks as well. On the other hand I had 3 buddies hunting public land and they didn't see the buck activity we saw on the private. One buddy only saw 2 bucks in 7 days of hunting public this year while 2 years ago he had plenty of buck action on the same land, though the big ones didn't show until after the peak breeding period. The other 2 guys hunting public became disenchanted after 4 days this year and left for home. Personally, I believe the peak has come and gone but daylight rut activity was curtailed due to the weather.

I didnt see much rut activity until about the 10th, with major chases on both 11/13 and 11/14. Seems about like last year, except I believe the warm temps in early Nov held down some daylight activity.
I expected more movement with this snow, but have been unimpressed so far.

went out thursday moring before school 4 3 hrs and seen 13 bucks a few shooters and some dinks but all very well chaseing does... last night was full moon and we spolighted and watch bucks chase does all night throguh the feilds so mid day and after will be great tonight good luck all...

Northeast Iowa.... hunted all day today... saw 3 shooter bucks all 140" + each chasing a separate doe before I arrived to my treestand this morning.. saw another 140" 8pt at 9:30am... NO midday movement at all.... saw another nice 140" 8pt near dusk at another stand site on alfalfa field... Seemed to show no interest in does in field (he was UPWIND of all of them and scent checked none.. just kept eating)
confused.gif
..... Lockdown by end of week possible.

SW Iowa Mills county
I went out glassing the Folsom lake area from a top the Loess hills over looking the flat land, I saw 7 doe's with no bucks around them, 3 doe's with one big buck hanging with them feeding. Foggy all and the sun came out around 3 and I think that made them hold up till after dark.

Top Bottom