Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RUT REPORT

Northeast Iowa.... Nov. 9th... can anyone say WINDY!!! This is ridiculous!!! Saw one nice 140 class buck at 9:30am in thicket running doe... no other bucks the rest of day. Left early due to severe wind.... literally could hardly stand up in open field getting back to truck... maybe the most wind I ever hunted
frown.gif
... things should be much better Thursday
grin.gif

Northeast Iowa.... morning temp 25 deg... well this morning started off strong.... I saw 8 bucks between 8am and 10:30am with the largest showing up last (130 class 8pt).... saw 1 other buck (basket 8pt) around 3:30pm... buck were cruising good this morning (young bucks).... does appear to be hiding out (tired of being pestered by the young bucks)... I think it will be close to a week before things really heat up.... with the warm weather and moon phase it should heat up a lot in 3-4 days... just about the time I have to go back to work
frown.gif

sat all day again yesterday, a lot of movement for the 1st hour of the day, including a 130 inch 8 I was able to video up close and personal.Then absolutely nothing until 5:15 pm when a 125 inch 8 walked right underneath. Went out thismorning for a couple hours. Saw a couple of small bucks and does. Went to work for the rest of the day, at this point I need a break from sitting 8 or more hrs at a time without a deer sighting. Weather looks to be cooling off a little tommorrow, hope that gets em moving, I reall y gotta get back to work
smirk.gif

Went out today and seen 4 does when i went in and nothing after that. I left at 11:30 and didnt go back. Thought i would leave the stand alone for half a day so i dont spook any deer for my brother thats gonna hunt in the stand tomorrow for rifle season! Its suppost to cool down tomorrow so i hope the deer start moving some more!

I was driving home today (Sioux City to Tulsa) Twice I saw a doe and buck about 200 yds. off the interstate just laying there.About 11am-noon near Glenwood and again near Hamburg. Bucks didn't look real big though. Saw lots of pumpkins in Missouri too.

Had a small 9 pointer running a doe on Tuesday the 8th. Deer started moving around 0700 and ended around 0830 when I took a doe. Thursday the 10th, deer started moving around 0830, mostly does being chased by dinks. Had a nice 8 pointer cruise by at 0900. Ended the day at 1000 filling my second doe tag. On the drive home I glassed a nice 10 pointer bedded down in a hay field with a doe 5 yards away. He mounted her twice
blush.gif
in the ten minutes I was there, he was bedding down again for another nap before I left. All taking place only 150 yards from the road.

This evening comming from Cedar Rapids saw a pig of a buck breeding a doe in a bean field on I-380 north of town another doe with them (possibly waiting her turn?
blush.gif
) Of course didn't have the camera it's in the truck. Its the second time in 25 yrs of deer hunting I've seen this. Pretty cool!!

Went out yeasterday and got my buck. He was following a doe trail up a hill. And i dropped him
grin.gif

11-13 got in the stand at 6:30 and the wind picked up (was in a stand that is shakey when the wind picks up) So i moved to another stand about 100 yards away. Before i got to the stand i spooked a 8 pointer. Wasnt to big so i didnt shoot him. About 5 minutes after i got in the stand i had a nice 10 follow a trail. Only seen him for a sec and he was gone. Then around 8:50 i had a small 6 chase 2 does into the evergreens. Didnt see anything till around 10. Hear some movement coming from my right. I looked up and saw a doe. Apparently she saw me and ran a couple of feet then stoped. Not even 15 sec later another doe jumped the log. Then a BIG 8 hoped over the log and turned left.
mad.gif
He was a big one and i didnt have a shot at him. He was gone before i knew he was their! Things are really starting to kick in here. Ill be back out tomorrow to see if i can fill another tag.
grin.gif
Good luck to everyone!!!!!

Northeast Iowa.... Saw 4 good bucks today... 140" 10pt... 130" 8pt... 140" 8pt... 150" 8pt (which I somehow manage to let him get away from me
frown.gif
) ....

I think by the weekend things should be smokin.... mature bucks still not showing a lot of cruising yet... I saw no midday activity today... everything was before 10am and after 3pm... worst part is that I go back to work tommorrow
crazy.gif

Dennis,

I have pretty much experienced the same as far as deer movement. With the exception of seeing anything above 130's.
crazy.gif
I have to go back to work tomorrow also.
frown.gif

Hope you're right about this weekend. It'll be a hard core 4 day'er.
cool.gif

If what I have observed in the field holds out we may very well be hitting the breeding lockdown around Thanksgiving... if so, having all the antlerless hunters in the woods stirring up the deer may make for some real interesting bowhunting the weekend after Thanksgiving....
blush.gif

Keep at it boys. It's still rolling. I saw 3 bucks chasing a doe yesterday. That was all I saw in 4 hours. I was out this AM and saw nothing till 9:00AM. Then I saw a little 6 with his nose to the ground. At 9:45 all hell broke loose. I saw 7 bucks chasing 2 does. 2 of the bucks were nice. I shot one of the nice ones. A 9 pointer.
This all took place in about 3 minutes.
Seams to be real slow or real hot but it's definitely still happening.

Well after scouting for the last week here in N.E. central Ia, finally saw a shooter standing in the middle of bean field during the storm. couldn't really get a good look at him cause of the snow and the distance, but he was tall and wide. looks like the big boys are starting to cruise here. this weekend should be good.

Along teh winneshiek/allamakee line things are just starting to heat up IMO. I think things went off early(like the last week of october) and are just now starting to rev up again. I hunted hard everyday In Ia since 11-7 and saw a total of 8 bucks (normally i will see near 50 during that time frame). Yesterday I drew my bow 4 times, gave one a haircut at 7:10Am(zero yards away
grin.gif
), decided to pass on one at 10:30 (rattled in), was one step away from a 140ish 10 point at 2:30, and shot a buck at last light during the snow storm. Saw 8 bucks alone yesterday, 3 shooters. I think you guys hunting in that area will have a dynamite week. Good luck!

Talked with Duane Baumler (the PY scorer in the area) and he was of the same opinion as myself having not seen a shooter buck in over a week and 1/2.

Wish my vacation was starting today instead of ending yesterday! Oh well, it has been a good season so far.

Things have finally heated up here in KS. Despite high winds yesterday evening, the woods was full of bucks. Grunting, chasing, and pretty much pandamonium (sp?). The biggest buck was limping severly on his front right leg, another big 'un must have gotten ahold of him. If only I could be out tonight, it's gorgeous! Oh well, work calls... Get to your stands Kansas boys!

DOR, so you think the peak breading period is still ahead? The reason I ask is that in 2003 I hunted the exact same time frame as you and it was lockdown central. We saw a couple good ones on the 7th, 8th and 9th and then no shooters for 4 or 5 days. We did see them in pastures bedded with does though. Then around the 14th things ramped up again and really got going on the 15th as the bucks were freeing up from the does and cruising again.

I saw more action today than Ive seen on any other day this season. A big 8 point almost ended my season but was unknowingly saved by a doe who led him everywhere except through one of my shooting lanes. The movement was best midmorning but I saw bucks through much of the day. Leave it to an inch of snow and -4 windchill to finaly get things moving around here!

What a day! I saw 42 does and 8 bucks. At 2 o'clock I saw 6 does and 1 buck bedded down on a fenceline out of the wind. I decided to do a stalk on them. Got into position about 150 yds away and watched them just lying there until 4 o'clock. Couldn't get any closer. Then the does moved and I thought the buck disappeared, then all of a sudden there he was! He headed down the fenceline so I began rattling to get his attention, he didn't care. He just kept on walking and came out about 100 yds. from me. He had 6 on one side and the other side only had a main beam, odd! Then all of a sudden I look back at where he was laying and there stood another buck. This time I decided to try my stalk. I snuck over the fence then crawled in the snow to within 40 yds of where the oddball came out. The buck was headed right there. Then he must have heard me and stopped in his tracks. He stood there for about 2 mins and then jumped the fence, I shot over his back. So I found my arrow and left, only to jump a nice 130ish 8 pt on my way out. Get in my truck and head down the road and go by this old abandoned farm house, there stood an awesome 150ish 10 pt with some does. got my binocs out and all of a sudden the buck takes off running, a bigger 10 pt starts chasing him out of there. This one looked well over 170! I watched them for a couple of minutes and they disappeared into the farmlot with about 20 does or so. Then I drove around the mile section, just about dark and I see a small buck chasing a doe nonstop for about 5 mins, they were diving over terraces and jumping fences. He was driving her nuts! Out of all those deer the only thing I got was a nasty stinkin mangy butt ugly coyote before I got to my stand about 10 o'clock this morning.

[ QUOTE ]
DOR, so you think the peak breading period is still ahead? The reason I ask is that in 2003 I hunted the exact same time frame as you and it was lockdown central. We saw a couple good ones on the 7th, 8th and 9th and then no shooters for 4 or 5 days. We did see them in pastures bedded with does though. Then around the 14th things ramped up again and really got going on the 15th as the bucks were freeing up from the does and cruising again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say we're right on track this year.
waytogo.gif

CRITRGITR, by on track do you mean on the same track as I experienced in 2003? In other words the movement folks are seeing now is the post peak cruise for late does? I scrapped Alsheimer's full moon theory after my 2003 lockdown hunt and now lean heavily towards the peak breeding period occuring at about the same time each year.

Top Bottom