Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Paul, when you say 2 oz of oust, are you saying 2oz per acre or 2oz in your 3gal sprayer? I read the label and for most applications it is saying 1 - 2 oz per acre... I was just wondering if you are going stronger than that per acre or not.?

No one to two ounces per acre my sprayer does about a 1/2 acre so I usually barely an ounce in it...;)

Fire is an extremely important tool in maintaining all NWSG's and the timing of the burn is equally important. Early spring burns encourage forbs and tend to thin stands while very late spring burns will set back invasives and thicken prairiegrass stands.

The warm weather has some of our native grasses starting to green up so we lit the place up April 28th

Lightingup.jpg

We had already tilled around the fields to create a safe fire break and with a strong south wind it didn't take long!

nativeburn.jpg

Prairiefire.jpg

The straw from the native grasses burns intensely hot and fanned by winds races across the fields effectively wiping out everything in it's path including invasive brush.

Afterburn.jpg

The NWSG clumps are obvious after the burn

NWSGclump.jpg

and they will quickly green up and dominate the invasives like brome and goldenrod

Nativegrassclump.jpg

The deer runways stick out like sore thumbs after a burn!

RunwaythruNWSG.jpg

Some places they were cut so deep that the fire actually went out and we had to restart it on the other side

Runway2-1.jpg

Ideally one should burn different fields or segments each year leaving some standing cover for wildlife and whitetails. Here in SE Iowa more frequent burns are needed to stop the rapid advance of invasives as the native grasses grow so think and tall they tend to smother themselves and that gives invasives an opening.

Where burning is not feasable...try mowing just as the native grasses start to green up rasing the mower up 6" off the ground. The mower can help break up thatch and straw and give the plants some "air" while also setting back invasive weeds and brush.

The blackend soil will warm quickly and the switchgrass already awakened by warm spring weather will spring to life over taking the cool season invasives.... ;)

I've mentioned many times the importance of fall killing sod before dormant seeding NWSG because it is difficult at best to kill it in the spring. Too much of the cool seasons are dormant in early April and will re-emerge even after spraying with gly.

Such is the case on a friends place where we did a winter seeding and a spring sod kill. One waterway especially the grasses remained dormant in the lower area and two years later we are still attempting to "clean" it up.
Along the edges some of the two year old switch was starting to emerge but not yet unfurled so I made a pass down thru the center with the sprayer and glyphosate.

I checked the other day and the fescue was dying and the switch was 6" tall and doing fine....pretty iffy deal at best but I did get away with it with just the right timing.

I'll keep an eye on it as the weather warms and look for any switch that may have been killed because the adult plants are still standing and will be well into summer.

None of my winter seeded switch has emerged yet but I expect to see some emergence in the next 2-3 weeks. Those with lighter sandier soils will likely see germination slightly sooner because the light soils warm sooner....:)

Speaking of timing...

I don't have pictures to post, but I had killed a couple of spots last summer/fall in my mostly brome CRP. I mowed them short and then nuked them with gly and both spots looked pretty brown following that treatment. My plan was to frost seed this year in these two areas.

Forward to March 2nd, 2010, I broadcast my switch seed over some of the last snow of the year and things melted off over the next several days...perfect! Over the past two months though these areas greened up pretty well and then I checked to see if there was any switch coming on yet and to the best of my ability to determine I couldn't see any.

Sooooo, I then mowed both areas short on Saturday, May 1st, and then sprayed the remaining greenery with gly. I think I will be good, at least I hope so! :grin: My opinion now is that I should have set back all non-switch pretty good yet this spring with the mow/spray combo.

I am anxious to see if my tactic works out, but I am feeling pretty confident at this point. Thanks Paul for all of your advice and info, it is very much appreciated! :way:

Keep us posted Dave but it sounds like your right on the money with everything.

Timely clipping may be needed thru the summer as needed, just remember to clip as high as you can and not close to the ground...:)

when clipping... are you trying to cut all the weeds completely above the switch or is it ok to cut the tops off of the switch as well?

when clipping... are you trying to cut all the weeds completely above the switch or is it ok to cut the tops off of the switch as well?

Pretty tough not to clip any of th switch and that won't hurt it at all, what is detrimental is cutting it close to the ground.

Always keep the mower up as high as possible 8-12" usually and of course, mowing is going to prevent the NWSG from reaching full height the first year as it would if herbicides were used rather then mowing...;)

I am needing to plant something for a screen. I was thinking egypt. wheat. But I would like to not have to plant it every yr. Is there some sort of grass that would get really tall and thick?

I sprayed a switchgrass planted waterway in mid April back when unusually warm temps had everyone in a panic about spraying gly. Some switch was barely starting to emerge around the clump base of established switch so I applied 4 quarts of atrazine and 2 ounces of Oust XP to some areas that we had attempted a spring kill on the seeding year.

One area however I went ahead and sprayed gly because the cool seasons had overtaken the waterway.

Spring kills usually are not very effective and such was the case with this situation and still dormant cool seasons came up after being sprayed and of course inhibit switchgrass establishment.

Attempting to kill cool seasons after switch has been established requires spraying gly during a very very short window either in the spring before switch emerges or in the fall after switch goes dormant, neither are great options compared to fall killing before seeding.

So what happened in this case? I hit that "window" perfectly and after spraying with gly (along with atrazine and Oust XP) the cool seasons are dead as a door nail and the switch is doing fine!

Here is unsprayed cool season growth along the edge of the waterway

DSC00834.jpg

This is dying cool seasons after spraying with atrazine and Oust XP

DSC00825.jpg

This is dead cool seasons smoked by the gly/atrazine/oust combo

DSC00831.jpg

Underneath the dead thatch however the switch is emerging inscathed

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

In areas where we had previously gotten a good cool season kill the switch is clean and was 6' high last summer

DSC00828.jpg

This waterway was filled with massive snow drifts last winter crushing the switch/cool seasons in the center while the edges where it was switch alone stood better.

DSC00830.jpg

We'll continue to monitor the results of this spring " cleanup" but it is clear that mid April applications of gly are unlikely to have a severe impact on switchgrass unless it has reached the stage seen in the pics above... ;)

When I was spraying my tree plantings in late March with a combination of gly, Oust Xp and simazine I stopped and hosed down a switchgrass plant and a big blustem that happened to be at the end of the roa and easily identified.

Oust is very powerful and capabable of "cleaning" up a NWSG planting that has been established but full of invasives...but how much can thy take?

No way of knowing of course with a backpack sprayer exactly how much I applied but I had mixed to apply 2 ounces of Oust per acre when walking at an even pace.

In this case I just sprayed the entire plant base heavily to see what might happen but both plants appear completely unaffected.

The switch plant shoots are emerging and appear to be very healthy

DSC01342.jpg

The Big Bluestem is farther ahead and equally unaffected (notice the difference in growth betwen these two species however)

DSC01343.jpg

Herbicides like Plateau can work also (even on established switchgrass) but they are very expensive. Oust XP can be purchased in as little as 2 ounces incremements from Townsend Chemical for $6 an ounce making it very easy and economical for landowners to treat a small area without spending $300 for herbicides.

The same combination of 41% gly, oust xp and simazine (or atrazine) applied in very early April when the first cool seasons emerge will safely clean up many competing weeds and grasses in a stand of switch or a mixed NWSG stand. 2-3 ounces of Oust alone could also be applied in very late fall or early spring or right after doing a burn later in the spring.

Check the herbicide thread for links to Townsend Chemical and for labels and info on Oust and other herbicides. ;)

Readytospraytrees.jpg

Here are some pics after a late April burn...

This pic is of Indiangrass and switchgrass clumps emerging 2 weeks after being burned but note the dense mat of straw still packed tightly against the ground. This is a great example of how densely the NWSG straw can cover the soil and begin to suffocate itself.

IndiangrassClumps.jpg

Most places the straw burned in the intense heat and the warm season grasses quickly begin to grow.

Indiangrass5-15.jpg

Burning late in the spring helps to control cool season invasives and two that I deal with are goldenrod and blackberries

Goldenrod.jpg

Blackberries.jpg

If the fire is hot enough it will smoke young locust trees as well but in some areas where native grasses were not burned in recent years, they have been over taken by goldenrod and there is simply no fuel in that stuff.

There the fire just dies out...

Lackoffuel.jpg

AfterBurn-1.jpg

Once the NWSG has 3-4 leaves I'll hit the trouble spots with 2-4D to release the grasses and conduct more timely burns in those areas.

AfterBurn5-15.jpg

Temps are forecast in the low 90's for SE Iowa the last week of May, just the kind of weather that switchgrass thrives on and it should encourage rapid growth along with germination of seed in new plantings... :way:

What can I spray this time of the year for a 2nd year planting of SG? I sprayed round up the 2nd week of April but I have some broad leaves and foxtail coming up now.
Also the SG is kinda spotty...anything I can do about that?
Thanks!

What can I spray this time of the year for a 2nd year planting of SG? I sprayed round up the 2nd week of April but I have some broad leaves and foxtail coming up now.
Also the SG is kinda spotty...anything I can do about that?
Thanks!

The switch should start to thicken up this year but if not you can always frost seed additonal seed next winter.

Check the very fist post of this thread for more info on herbicides but 2-4D works for broadleaves after the switch has 3-4 leaves.

Use paramount for foxtail but it is pretty pricey...;)

I just planted my switch c-i-r/big blue/indian grass this weekend. I spread seed by hand, the seed looked to small for my hand seeder. I took lime and split the site in to 4 and split seed also so I would not run short, I think I did a great job. I had killed the weeds last weekend and dug sight friday planted on sunday. I hope it comes up good. I will reseed next winter if it looks to thin.

Thanks dbltree, If I remember right I can use Atrazine anytime in the year?..or not?

Yes...but since it is a pre-emergence herbicide it wil be more effective used before weeds emerge...won't hurt switchgrass that has emerged however.

How long before my seed will come up, I planted big blue/indian/and C-I-R switch. Thanks

If the weather stays warm it may not take too long for the big blue and indiangrass to germinate (7-10 days maybe) The CIR may be another story depending on how dormant it is...it often needs the wet chill of winter to stratify the seed so if spring planted, may not germinate until the following spring.

That being the reason we try to winter/frost seed switchgrass...;)

I broadcasted my Cave In Rock switchgrass seed on snow 3/4/2010 on sod that had been killed the previous September with 2 quarts 41% glyphosate, 2 ounces of Oust XP and 1 quart crop oil

3-16switchseeding.jpg

I sprayed it with atrazine in late April and because of concerns that warm weather might spur early germination, I also sprayed some test areas (marked with flags) with glyphosate although I could find no switch germinating anywhere.

I checked the planting May 29th and at first glance it appears to just be a field of "dead stuff"

CIMG1273.jpg

Closer inspection however reveals the tiny switch seedlings popping up after nearly a week of 90+ degree temps

CIMG1275.jpg

There is nothing else coming up...period...

CIMG1271.jpg

Switchgrass is a warm season grass and Cave In Rock a notoriously dormant and low to germinate switchgrass variety but once temps warm up into the "hot" range...CIR springs to life and growth is rapid and robust!

CIMG1270.jpg

The crop field adjacent offers one an idea of annual grass and broadleaf growth where no herbicides have yet been applied.

CIMG1274.jpg

This is wild big bluestem in the oust/atrazine treated area growing rapidly (already established plants)

CIMG1276.jpg

Cool wet weather slows growth even of established switchgrass because it thrives on the hot humid days of summer that cause cool seasons to shrivel and go dormant. Weather then plays a huge part in switchgrass germination and subsequent growth but here in Iowa, year in year out it is rare to see germination before May 10th and this year has proven to be no exception.... ;)

Top Bottom