Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Re: Switchgrass - July 1st

THANKS a ton!
My Major problem is Foxtail, think my mowing will greatly help or kill it? Some spots it was like CARPET it was so thick (no too tall- I mowed in time). Evil stuff, any other suggestions for foxtail? (Probably there from my spring round-up treatment).

My other game plan above seem ok?!?!

I am checking into Deer Hunter's Rehab Clinic right now. I should be cured by 2065 they think! Wish me luck! :)

Thanks again for help on this "Massive" project that I am working my tail off to turn out great! (and my wallet's getting a work out!)

Last edited by a moderator:

My Major problem is Foxtail, think my mowing will greatly help or kill it? Some spots it was like CARPET it was so thick (no too tall- I mowed in time). Evil stuff, any other suggestions for foxtail?

Foxtail is an annual that is going to come up when we till or spray and kill everything else. It can only be controlled in switchgrass with residual herbicide like atrazine or by clipping.

My guess is this...if you don't spray(roundup) next spring, it won't be a problem. It doesn't like being clipped so that should do the trick for this year.

If you can apply atrazine and RUP together next spring that's another story, otherwise I think I would wait and clip as a last resort. That seed is laying there ready to sprout so all RUP does is kill everything else so the foxtail is...FREE....

Dang stuff anyway....I'm bound and determined to make it to heaven because I'm pretty sure the "other place" is nothing but a sea of foxtail..........

Last edited:

We had about 5 acres frost seeded with big blue stem, Indian grass and SG in March. I see alot of "plants" but other than foxtail, can't tell if the switch growing?? Is it OK to leave the foxtail and others alone and the switch will eventually grow? We did spray heavy before the seeding.

Originally Posted By: huntyak
We had about 5 acres frost seeded with big blue stem, Indian grass and SG in March. I see alot of "plants" but other than foxtail, can't tell if the switch growing?? Is it OK to leave the foxtail and others alone and the switch will eventually grow? We did spray heavy before the seeding.

It's tough to tell native grasses from foxtail at this point but I would clip that foxtail off 8-12" high. That stuff is nasty and it will smother and suffocate native grass seedlings.

Next year it won't be back or at least not as bad unless you spray with RUP again.

Only way to control foxtail is with a very heavy dose of atrazine or Plateau and that's hard to do in a mixed seeding.

I'd say...clip it :)

Last edited:

So its safe to run over the entire field and cut all grasses off at about 8-12"? That way I can get all the "foxtail/grasses."This won't hurt the new switch? Thanks.

So its safe to run over the entire field and cut all grasses off at about 8-12"? That way I can get all the "foxtail/grasses."This won't hurt the new switch? Thanks.

Nope..it will be fine, it's only when you mow it close to the ground that it's hard on even established switchgrass.

Last edited:

So I clipped some of my field today but "stopped" after a couple swipes. Felt like I was killing everything so I'll try and send you some pics on hotmail Paul of my first year frosty seeded field with IG, BBS, and CIR. Should be interesting and I'll try to get them up here. I raised my mower as high as I could but it still felt like I was mowing "low" I guess. If I get the green light from you guys I'll finish Wednesday but as you will see in my pics..... foxtail is ruling the roost and I am not even sure if any prairie grass is up????

Felt like I was killing everything

Naww...I doubt it! :)

Send some pics and we'll take a look at them though. Sounds like you need to whack that foxtail off or it will do the "killing" for you...

I don't mean to make anyone "over think" any of this or scare you fellas...heck...I had to learn the hard way... By Guess and By Gosh!

Still ended up with a good stand of switchgrass too... ;)

Last edited:

Thanks Paul! Sent the pics to your email about 5 minutes ago. If you can post em that would be great..still can't get them attached to my comments.

Re: Switchgrass - July 21st

my first year frost seeded field with IG, BBS, and CIR

This pics are pretty typical of what a first year native grass seeding is going to look like with no residual herbicide control.

This area isn't really to bad..plenty of sunlight hitting the ground.

Weeds1.jpg

The other pics show weeds getting pretty thick and it's time to clip them.

Weeds2.jpg

Plenty of good ole foxtail

Weeds3.jpg

Time to clip this for sure
Weeds4.jpg

All I can say is don't mow it like your lawn, just clip the top half of that foxtail off so that the native grass seedlings can get sunlight.

Clipping will set back the foxtail and weeds so they aren't sucking up all the moisture and soil nutrients.

Almost any mower/brush cutter...etc., can be lifted 8" off the ground and 12" is better.

Your not going to "kill" the native grass but it's just hard on it since it isn't like cool season grass. It develops a "clump" near the soil surface and it's not designed for close grazing or mowing when it is growing. Dormant, it can be burned without worries.

Get the mower back out and Git er Done! :D

Last edited:

If I mow these foxtail and weeds, what can one expect for a first year stand of Switch. 1 ft, 3 ft etc? Hope its something :)I just am not even sure if I see the bases anywhere.

If I mow these foxtail and weeds, what can one expect for a first year stand of Switch. 1 ft, 3 ft etc? Hope its something :)I just am not even sure if I see the bases anywhere.

If you mow now, you may see something this fall but 90% of mine the first year I was just sure was a complete failure

The second year I at least saw some but I had to mow again and I still had nothing it seemed

Third year...whooowhooo!! Stuff finally took off! That's because it was quietly growing down not up until it had the "stuff" in it's roots to push it upward and begin to out compete the "junk".

Only with a very potent application of Atrazine (or Plateau for a native grass mix) before weeds and grasses emerge are you going to get residual weed control that allows you not to mow, and when you mow it, it's not going to be 6 foot high...period.

Last edited:

Great great advice! I will keep that in mind and "be patient." I remember you saying that it has to establish roots first before coming up. I will mow this Wednesday and how often should I do that through the next couple years...maybe 1x/summer? Hopefully once this summer will work.

how often should I do that through the next couple years...maybe 1x/summer? Hopefully once this summer will work.

Generally once a summer will do the job...less being better.

Once established then burning every few years in late spring will do the trick to setback coolseason grasses without harming the native grass. :)

Last edited:

Well, I have failed to get the mowing done. The field was just too wet today.... but the SWITCH is growing. The foxtail is still really thick as well as the greenish tall weeds shown in my thread above (not sure what they are?) In any case, will not being able to mow this year be a big deal? Hopefully the switch will compete better next year as FINALLY I can see a bunch of it about 8-12" tall. I could make it down next week but its already August and I'm tempted to just leave it. Any thoughts?

Re: Switchgrass - Aug 1st

You'll just have to use your own judgement regarding clipping. If the switchgrass appears to be competing alright then perhaps you can get away with leaving it.

Foxtail can get pretty thick and suffucating but if you wait to long to clip it the remains can cause more harm then good also.

Here's some pics of my own Cave In Rock Switchgrass

Aug1Switchgrass.jpg

8-01-08CIR.jpg

AugustCaveInRock.jpg

AugustSwitchgrass.jpg

Like it's been mentioned earlier in this switchgrass post- kill late summer, would you say it's too early to start? I started killing off about 4 acres, I'll spray a few times to really hammer the brome!
What would you personally consider too late for killing brome to be frost seeding CIR later?

*If I kill good in fall, frost seed late winter AND finally- hit it with round-up and Atrazine in spring, would you recommend any changes to that plan?

If I kill good in fall, frost seed late winter AND finally- hit it with round-up and Atrazine in spring, would you recommend any changes to that plan
?

Nope...sounds right on to me.

You can kill the sod now but September is fine also, either way you will have time to check your kill and respray missed areas. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom