Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tacky Outfitter

Pretty sweet when a person leases a lease...I might have to do some more probing into this deal. At the least I'll be giving the DNR officer a "heads-up"

Im a NR, but I am with you IA guys and the laws on party hunting. But the problem I see is: right in the post "You will be hunting one on one with a guide who will have a buck tag in his pocket and if you shoot a buck he will tag it." If that is the case and a NR is being guided 1 on 1 with a guide with a legal license than no one can really complain. Can they?

I've got a great idea, you're from Illinois...buy a NR doe tag, come hunt my land and pay me $2000 for a tag that cost me $2-$26 and you can shoot a buck.........

SERIOUSLY???? C'mon...if that was legal everyone would be doing it.

I wonder what the IRS would have to say if they conducted an audit of Whitetail Ridge Outfitters?

I've got a great idea, you're from Illinois...buy a NR doe tag, come hunt my land and pay me $2000 for a tag that cost me $2-$26 and you can shoot a buck.........

SERIOUSLY???? C'mon...if that was legal everyone would be doing it.

I wonder what the IRS would have to say if they conducted an audit of Whitetail Ridge Outfitters?

It's legal..........only during shotgun season.

I dont see what the IRS would have to do with anything? Am I missing something. If I buy a Snickers bar for ONE dollar, and sell it to you for FIVE, is the IRS going to say anything? Thats kinda the way Im looking at it, maybe Im way out in left field.

What about muzzleloader season? Isnt party hunting also allowed for MZ aswell?

It doesn't matter. It is not legal for a NR to particpate in a party hunt in Iowa. See my last post. They can only place a tag on a deer that has their name on it.

As for your question on early and late muzzy season; party hunting is not permitted for residents or nonresidents. It is only permitted for residents during shotgun 1 and 2.

It is not legal for a NR to particpate in a party hunt in Iowa.

Im not trying to aurgue just trying to clear things up for myself here. Becuase I've heard of several outfitters doing this for NR hunters. Your last post where you Bolded the text. So, does the word "use" mean "cross tagging" (aka partyhunting). If that is the case then yes this would be illegal to do. However, if you and I are out hunting together, and you put YOUR tag on MY deer, am I using the tag or are You? I tend think the latter.
This party hunting has been discussed multiple times here on IW and Im under the assumption that most of the IW regulars think that this is a legal practice in IA.

Not trying to argue either, just trying to understand the law. The way I read it is if we were hunting together and you shot the deer, you would be the one 'using' the (my) tag on the deer you shot. Yes, it is my tag and it is being used, but you are one using it. To me it just doesn't make sense the other way around.
Maybe other regulars haven't read the non-resident regs and just the resident regs where this topic is not mentioned. I know it was sort of hard to find. Maybe my quote of the regs changed some minds, or maybe they have the same iterpretation as you?

NR's can Party Hunt

NR's can party hunt during the shotgun seasons.

I've done it once myself and I have a couple friends that do it every year they don't draw their archery tag. All of us have been checked by a CO.

PYBucks, I’m just going by what is written in the regulations. How do you interpret the regulations? If you interpret them the way bowhuntr311 does, that would mean it is illegal for a resident to fill a nonresidents tag during a party hunt.

When the CO checked you, had a NR shot a buck that was tagged by a resident? If so, maybe the CO didn't even know, or maybe the law has changed???? I'm just reading the current regs and trying to understand them. Once again, directly from page 1 of the NR Deer Application regs (with all the extras removed):
------
As a nonresident, you MAY NOT use or have in your possession any license or
transportation tag issued to another hunter.

--------

It is pretty black and white to me, not sure how it can be argued otherwise

If the guide you are hunting with has a valid buck tag that you can use, where do they plan on getting more buck tags for the next clients that come into town for the guide to use? Supposedly he's already used the one he gets in his name.

As a nonresident, you MAY NOT use or have in your possession any license or
transportation tag issued to another hunter.
--------
It doesn't say anything about the tag being on the animal. It just says that you shouldn't and can't have someone else's tag in you wallet or jeans pocket "possession" when you are a NR hunting by yourself. That is how i interpret it.

noodles is right. as long as the NR is actively hunting with a licensed resident, the resident can tag the NR's deer.

I'm still not sold.
So if NRs are allowed to party hunt, what does this reg refer to?? Here it is again, in even more simplier terms (more of the extras removed):
-----
As a nonresident, you MAY NOT use any transportation tag issued to another hunter.
------
I read this a a NR can not use anyone elses tag period. I see no exceptions for party hunting during shotgun seasons 1 and 2. Does anyone else read this the way I do? Can anyone point to a regulation that says it is legal for a NR to party hunt?

if i tag the buck the NR has shot, he is not "using" the tag, i am.

IT MEANS, THAT A NR CANNOT HAVE IN HIS POSSESION, THE TAG OF ANOTHER PERSON!

So if they're advertising this in Texas, and they get 20 clients out of it...how the heck are they going to come up with those 20 buck tags? I understand they may get one in grandma's name, but I guarantee grandma isn't going to bundle up and go sit in a stand with a client!

From teeroy's second comment, now I'm swinging back the other way. I guess it is how the word 'use' in interpreted. I was thinking it was, 'can I use your transportation tag if I shoot a deer?' where his comment is saying anyone can not use somone else's tag simply to hunt with (deer shot or not).
I'll make sure to check with my local CO for his interpretation before I let my friends help fill my doe tags.

I'm hoping I'm wrong. Thanks guys!

Once the resident tags the deer, it becomes his animal. He can give the deer to the guy who actually shot it then., When asked for more NR tags, the DNR has actually sugested this process to outfitters at regional meetings.

Top Bottom