Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Stand Improvment

One last question. I am hinge cutting tall, spindley 9",close trees. I do not see how they will not hang up on their neighbors. In order to keep their top growth, would it be better to leave them hung at the tops and count on hard winds, or force them over with the dozer?

I usually allow high winds to topple them in time but just use caution both when cutting and entering the area in the future.

I've had them tip over 20 minutes later and just about got knocked silly...:D

Sitting in a tree stand on a neighbors farm I have permission to hunt, I can't help but notice that it could sure use some Timber Stand Improvement.

The oak tree in the center is surrounded by all kinds of less desirable tree species that need to be killed to free up the crop tree.

IMG_0019.jpg

All around me there were stands of hickories that offered nothing positive in the way of whitetail habitat yet if not near a crop tree would not normally be considered "weed tree's" under a TSI forest stewardship plan.

IMG_0020.jpg

These are the type of areas that would be better off hinged or girdled and treated to open up the understory rather then be left as is.

The hickories have a shading canopy that allows almost nothing to grow underneath.

IMG_0018.jpg

Only yards away a different type of tree species that are less shading has allowed a natural succession to brushy, shrubby understory that is full of deer beds and runways. True TSI usually helps open up canopy and allows the same type of undergrowth to spring up.

IMG_0017.jpg

Timber Stand Improvement usually involves girdling and chemically treating and weed trees in the same respect we weed our gardens to allow the crop tree to grow faster and to produce more/better/acorns crops. Hinging the weed trees is just away of utilizing the weed trees and converting them to potential bedding,cover and browse rather then just dead trees left to slowly slough away.... ;)

A very useful tip to anyone wanting to get rid of buckthorn or honeysuckle...

They hold onto their leaves longer than the natives, so the best time to cut them is in another couple of weeks. They'll be very easy to pick out and will stand out in the timber. Cut them down and have someone follow you spraying their stumps with glyphosate...but don't cut them without spraying them.

Very useful forum. Thanks DBltree!

A very useful tip to anyone wanting to get rid of buckthorn or honeysuckle...

They hold onto their leaves longer than the natives, so the best time to cut them is in another couple of weeks. They'll be very easy to pick out and will stand out in the timber. Cut them down and have someone follow you spraying their stumps with glyphosate...but don't cut them without spraying them.

Very useful forum. Thanks DBltree!

Good advice! :way:

Staight glyphosate (41%) or straight triclopyr (~60%).....from your experiences which would be most effective on killing hickory via hack/squirt? Mixed opinions based on those I've talked with so far!

Staight glyphosate (41%) or straight triclopyr (~60%).....from your experiences which would be most effective on killing hickory via hack/squirt? Mixed opinions based on those I've talked with so far!

I've been using Tordon so I can't say for certain on the other two but my forester tells me straight gly is just as effective as anything else.

Guess I ought to try a little experimenting...;)

Looks like I will be getting a foresty plan wrote up by an approved forester through the MDC...hopefully a little funding to follow for the TSI work too!! I will be sure to post up the process if/when that happens.

Looks like I will be getting a forestry plan wrote up by an approved forester through the MDC...hopefully a little funding to follow for the TSI work too!! I will be sure to post up the process if/when that happens.

Sweet! Both EQIP and WHIP offer TSI funding although it is only 1/3 what Iowa's REAP TSI cost share provides. Still...anything is a plus and you can apply the cash towards other habitat projects! :way:

Sweet! Both EQIP and WHIP offer TSI funding although it is only 1/3 what Iowa's REAP TSI cost share provides. Still...anything is a plus and you can apply the cash towards other habitat projects! :way:

Exactly my plan!! I will take what I can get that is free anyways....I have a lot of protex tree tubes to buy. :D

Some pics from a TSI project I did a while back....

example of Crop Tree and cull trees (marked X)

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Looking skyward at same trees at competing canopy

IMG_0003-1.jpg

Cull trees are girdled to kill them and release the crop tree

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Reducing canopy allows the released crop tree to grow faster, produce more mast and also encourages oak regeneration

IMG_0005.jpg

I hinge smaller trees in these areas but all the larger trees are girdled for not only my safety but to limit damages to crop trees. Large trees falling against the crop trees can damage limbs and open up wounds that make them susceptible to diseases such as oak wilt. Girdled trees open up canopy instantly but slough away slowly without causing harm to surrounding trees. ;)

IMG_0006.jpg

How long is it taking you to cover an acre like in your pictures...with the larger trees? I have a 7 acre project to start in the next couple weeks. The MDC is paying me to cut down all the hickory and honey locusts....the real kicker is I get to keep the few swamp white oak and the lone bur oak standing....then I get to plant back into it whatever I want. Be it NWSG, shrubs, oaks etc....not a bad program.

How long is it taking you to cover an acre like in your pictures...with the larger trees? I have a 7 acre project to start in the next couple weeks. The MDC is paying me to cut down all the hickory and honey locusts....the real kicker is I get to keep the few swamp white oak and the lone bur oak standing....then I get to plant back into it whatever I want. Be it NWSG, shrubs, oaks etc....not a bad program.

Every stand is different but it takes me 1-2 hours per acre I suppose and I hinge all the ironwood and smaller hickory and elm which is far more time consuming then just girdling competing canopy....;)

Every stand is different but it takes me 1-2 hours per acre I suppose and I hinge all the ironwood and smaller hickory and elm which is far more time consuming then just girdling competing canopy....;)

Good!! I should be able to finish that job in 2 days...then it is on to other projects. :drink2:

Logging

Today we took to the task of clear cutting a 2 acre poplar woods... The woods looks fairly open now, but in the summer there is no light getting to the forest floor.<O:p</O:p
DSC00694.jpg
<O:p></O:p>

As you can see there is little to no browse within reach of the deer.<O:p</O:p
DSC00693.jpg

We used an excavator to push some of the outside trees over in an experiment to see if the poplar trees will survive using this method. If so, then they are as good as hinge-cut! :way:<O:p</O:p
DSC00683.jpg

<O:p>
DSC00685.jpg
</O:p>

DSC00688.jpg

We cut all the trees on the south half of the woods, leaving some standing on the north and west sides for wind protection. Cutting the southern trees will hopefully allow the much needed light to shine in under the trees left standing. <O:p</O:p
DSC00698.jpg

Cutting the trees high, left a 6' stump remaining. I felt this would provide at least some visual barrier/cover for the deer, not just an open hole in the forest. I don't know if this was a good idea or not, but it made sense at the time... :confused:<O:p</O:p
DSC00710.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

Using a Skid steer and grapple, we took the trees and piled them up to funnel deer movement to cross a ditch at just the right spot!:way:
DSC00676.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

This was my first "Logging operation" other than hinging. So I tried some different things, learned some different things, and had some fun doing it! There isn't a better feeling of accomplishment than when you get done with a full day's work in the woods! :)

Last edited:
I suspect those stumps will send up a ton of new shoots but keep us posted on how those trees react to being cut. Nice work on the funneling efforts!! I often see people burning those trees when they could have been used to funnel deer...well done!

Timber Stand Improvement
is usually crop tree release that includes marking and inventorying the crop trees, then doing a 4 sided release of any cull trees with competing canopy.

TSI2-1.jpg

Marking the crop trees first makes it easier to go back through searching for competing trees

TSI3-1.jpg

It's easy when the competing trees are "weed" trees like hickories, ash and basswood

TSI1-3.jpg

CIMG1983.jpg

but often we find clumps of white or red oaks and we must choose which ones to cull

CIMG1980.jpg

CIMG1982.jpg

CIMG1976.jpg

TSI requires staring at the skyline a lot looking over the canopies

CIMG1972.jpg

Look for full canopies and cull trees with thin spindly canopies

CIMG1973.jpg

CIMG1975.jpg

Opening up canopy will release young oaks

CIMG1974.jpg

which will require thinning and culling in the future

CIMG1969.jpg

but without TSI the young oaks will succumb to intense shading canopy

CIMG1967.jpg

Give them a little light however and they will take off!

CIMG1966.jpg

I usually bury the saw as I girdle so i don't need a double girdle

TSI4-1.jpg

but use caution because you can see what is on the inside of the tree and sometimes even a light girdle can topple a tree with a rotted interior!

TSI5-1.jpg

Clumps of American Basswood are a pain to girdle!

TSI6-1.jpg

Maples are one species that I use a double girdle AND Tordon in the girdle!

This maple is still alive 3 years later with only one girdle

TSI7-1.jpg

and is budding out once again

TSI8-1.jpg

so I double girdled it with out Tordon just to see if I can kill it in that manner

TSI9.jpg

A leaning tree can pinch a saw even with just a girdle

CIMG2209.jpg

so when possible have a backup saw handy!

CIMG2210.jpg

TSI is a relatively safe method of opening up canopy, increasing understory growth, encouraging oak regeneration, enhancing crop tree growth and mast production and providing more browse and cover for whitetails to boot.... :way:

Well said and well done Dbltree. I would encourage anyone trying TSI to make all decisions first with paint. It is amazing how one's discernment changes when there is a sharp saw in his hands.
P.S. what is that green saw doing back in the picture? :D

Looks like some goodwork Paul!!!

Something else that helps, buy an extra bar and chain so you can take the saw off if it gets pinched and the put on the other bar/chain to free it.

Looks like some goodwork Paul!!!

Something else that helps, buy an extra bar and chain so you can take the saw off if it gets pinched and the put on the other bar/chain to free it.

That's a great idea Phil! :way:

what is that green saw doing back in the picture

I kept the 20" Poulan and traded the 2 16" Poulan saws for a second Jonsared

The 20" runs like a top, probably cause it's older and made better....;)

Top Bottom