Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Top 100 Deerhunting hints

moosehunter

PMA Member
I've been a member here for over 5 years now and I have to say that a good percentage of what I have know about bowhunting deer I have learned here from all of you. "Iowawhitetail.com Iowa's information resource for whitetail deer" is 100% true in my book.

Anymore, I get just as much or more satisfaction from introducing the next generation of deerhunters to deerhunting than I get from going myself which kind of leads me to this.

We could make a list of things that you feel are important or helpful for a new hunter. They don't have to be ranked as the most important to the least but more like, something that you keep in mind when your setting up for a hunt. There's a ton of experience here and it would be kinda cool to see a list of hints. Maybe the administrators could do some cutting and pasting and end up with a nice numbered list for a kid to look at when were all done. If we can keep it short and to the point it would be best.

I'll start.

1. Hunt from a stand location where the wind will be in your favor.

Don't be afraid to change things up. I spent many of my early bow hunting years in the same old stands, doing the same thing every year. Seeing bucks is not killing bucks. Go after them! Use the wind and the cover to get where they are.

DAYDREAMING about killing a giant whitetail is NOT KILLING a giant whitetail... keep your head in the game at ALL times.

[ QUOTE ]
Dang coach muddy.

[/ QUOTE ] NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20 PUNK!!!!!!
grin.gif

"If you don't have a back up plan, you don't have a plan." (rules to live by)

Go ahead and shoot with that twisted peep during practice, see where it goes, see what happens. Practice shooting looking under the peep (peep totally twisted, can't see anything). Shoot with your fingers, lost missing broken release for an example. (I hit 6" high for an example, w/two fingers under).

A very good friend, much my senior told me once, "you have to make the shot when the time comes." He has bow hunted deer longer that I have been breathing. We spend hundreds of hours preparing for that moment, make it happen with practice and preparation. Hard work will beat skill every time....... Rules to live by...

my 02.. Jody

15. Set goals, and stick to them. If you want to shoot a 150 inch buck, you have to let the 130's walk.

16. Play the wind, regardless of carbon suits and cover sprays.

17. Have fun, if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't be out there because a negative attitude usually results in a poor shot choice and/or placement.

When bowhunting the rut hunt the does...and I mean right on top of that spot.

Not 20yds,50yds off,I mean right on the downwind side of that bedding area and the big boy will soon be there.

Once I started doing this my kills and encounters went way up.

Top Bottom