Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

I would suspect that right now is a tough time to catch coyotes since there are gutpiles and even some dead deer all over the place following the gun seasons. I imagine that they would get hungry again though a few days after the gut piles are consumed.

There are good Youtube videos on set techniques too.

Got some furs out of the freezer, flipped and combed them. Ready for sale tonight. There are guys in my area that are getting up to $14 averages on coon and I have heard large prime yotes are bringing around $20. I will let you all know tomorrow how we fared. :way:

picture.php

picture.php

Skully did you sell some fur yesterday? If so how did you do?

Things have slowed way down for me. I did get one very large coon today.

If it don't pickup I may pull this weekend

Skully did you sell some fur yesterday? If so how did you do?

Things have slowed way down for me. I did get one very large coon today.

If it don't pickup I may pull this weekend

Hey Murph, We did well on our hides. Sold our coon for $13 a piece and got $20 out of the nicer yotes. :way: Needless to say the boys are excited about their cut of the earnings. :D We always use most of our trapping money on things pertaining to hunting or trapping. More traps, tree stands, camo clothing etc.... I think it is good for them see how hard work and re-investment pays off. I would like to start putting it away for a future father/son out of state hunting trip or something. I remember my first trap line at age 13, getting up early before school to run my 12 leg hold traps off of my old Honda 4-wheeler. I think I averaged $25 or $35 on my hides that year. My, how times have changed! LOL !

Sounds like you did well. Nothing better than getting the young ones into the outdoor sports.
I maimly trap to get rid of the varmits that destroy my quail and pheasant nest. We are doing a good deal of habitat work at our place and putting in food plots. I only have 160 acres of timber but the bird numbers are doing very well. As well as the deer.
Of course being retired all I have to do is hunt, fish, trap and tinker in the shop. It's a tough job but I work at it.

$13.25 avg for coon, damn where you taking yours?
We sell to a buyer from Fredricksburg; has bought from us and my dad's friend (that we share the trapping shed with) for a couple years now. He comes to my dad's place to do the grading and buying. Between ours and the friend's fur, there's annually about 400 coon, 20 fox, and all the other odds & ends animals that are caught (rats, beaver, badger, coyote, mink) for the buyer to sift through.

Hey Murph, We did well on our hides. Sold our coon for $13 a piece and got $20 out of the nicer yotes. :way: Needless to say the boys are excited about their cut of the earnings. :D We always use most of our trapping money on things pertaining to hunting or trapping. More traps, tree stands, camo clothing etc.... I think it is good for them see how hard work and re-investment pays off. I would like to start putting it away for a future father/son out of state hunting trip or something. I remember my first trap line at age 13, getting up early before school to run my 12 leg hold traps off of my old Honda 4-wheeler. I think I averaged $25 or $35 on my hides that year. My, how times have changed! LOL !

This is a great thread, in several ways, keep up the great posts guys. But I really wanted to commend you Skully for your approach that I highlighted above. I don't want to wreck this great post by taking it "political", so I will just say this...every dad should find some way to teach his kids these lessons.

So, so, so many these days just don't get this. And you can't hardly blame the kids because the parents don't teach them. It's great to read of such a good example AND combined with the outdoors that we all love too. Keep up the good work! :way:

I find myself getting more and more excited about trapping now. I am making secret plans* to add a few more coyote sized traps to the collection... :D

*Secret plans - those that the wife doesn't know about...yet. :D

Everytime I think about pulling traps I catch something to make me stay with it.

I had this fellow in one of my first sets this morning. So I dispatched him with my 22 pistol and left him lay at the trap site while I

checked the rest of the line and I picked up a rather large coon in one of the other sets and since I used the 4 wheeler instead of the

Ranger this morning all I had was a small box on the back that held the coon. So I just threw this old dog on the front rack and held

on to his rear legs with my left hand as I steered and ran the throttle with my right. Well that put his head and front feet under my

right hand and about half way back to the shed he decided to raise his head and look me in the eye. ( I think he might have winked

at me) well any way I slammed on the brake and let go of his legs and he flew off that rack like a rocket. I managed to get another

22 round in him and end it all. Man thats why I like trappin the excitement.

Do the coon slow down with the colder weather. Just curious, was wondering if traps should get pulled or let the coons let me know when to. First year and I am thinking I'm alittle late.

Do the coon slow down with the colder weather. Just curious, was wondering if traps should get pulled or let the coons let me know when to. First year and I am thinking I'm alittle late.
The coons keep moving. The end of the season for me was usually when the traps started freezing down in the dirt.

I have some 160s in buckets that I'll leave out even during the snow also have a few dirtholes out with waxed dirt I hope the snow fall is light down here they may stay active. Hate to give up

Hey, I have a newb question about trapping. Can I trap coyotes without a furharvester license? I know I can hunt them without one, but even after reading the regulations several times, I'm still confused about the requirements for trapping them. Thanks.

Hey, I have a newb question about trapping. Can I trap coyotes without a furharvester license? I know I can hunt them without one, but even after reading the regulations several times, I'm still confused about the requirements for trapping them. Thanks.

No Garrett you cannot trap them without a fur harvester license unless it is on YOUR land. All trapping seasons end January 31st. :way:

We had our first East river bobcat season this year in SD. I was lucky enough to get these two, twenty yards apart, on my first check. We are only allowed to tag one, so the smaller one got released. The larger one was a nice Tom.
IMG_0031_zps3715094d.jpg

IMG_0033_zps3a81a042.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsdac1bbb5.jpg

IMG_0043_zps5f94c1bc.jpg

Those cat pics are top notch! Congrats on a rare double, looks like the numbers must be good out your way! :way: Do you plan on a mount for the big boy?

Top Bottom