Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

Shedcrazy33 I use a dirthole set with a Duke 1.75. Next year I think I'll start using the MB 650. Love catching cats I just wish we could keep more than one a year. I have to admit it is kind of fun releasing one.:grin::grin:

Congrats to you guys on your fine catches. I wanted to get a bobcat this year, but alas, I did not. However, I have seen a few more coyotes this year than in the past and I am now turning my attention to catching one of them.

So hopefully I will have a picture or two coming up.

Shedcrazy33 I use a dirthole set with a Duke 1.75. Next year I think I'll start using the MB 650. Love catching cats I just wish we could keep more than one a year. I have to admit it is kind of fun releasing one.:grin::grin:

U only use 1.75s wow I use threes and I barely got my just by the tip of the foot what did u use for your bait in the hole?

i havent trapped for years now, (before we had a cats) but i am curious how u go about releasing one?

Shedcrazy33 All my cats have been caught in 1.75s and caught right across the pad, like I said I'm going to MB650s next year. Everything I have caught has been with coyote lure in the hole.

tph to release one I have a catch pole much like the dog catchers use I snare them around the neck and pin them to the ground after a couple minutes they calm down and I release the foot from the trap. It gets interesting when you release the catch pole, you just never know what they are going to do. I keep a little club handy.

Any of you have any certain type of trap's you use for otter's ?

I have never trapped otters but most trapping magazines and articles will request using #4 leg holds for land sets and 3-30 conibears for under water sets. They have large webbed feet like a beaver and it takes a pretty good sized trap to snag them. Always use a wire with a snare lock and weight for a drowning rig as they are prone to chew-outs in land sets. I had one in my pond for a few days after the quota had closed a year ago and I was praying he left me some fish! :( That is a shame you had to let your otter go to waste. :confused:

Took my boys out yesterday after school to check traps. We only got 1 but it was a nice one.
picture.php

picture.php

I'm not a trapper, but I'm curious how you dispatch a coon in a trap (or really any of these animals). When I was in my early teens I shot one out of a tree and it took about 5 other shots with a .22 to finally shut it up..

I'm not a trapper, but I'm curious how you dispatch a coon in a trap (or really any of these animals). When I was in my early teens I shot one out of a tree and it took about 5 other shots with a .22 to finally shut it up..

Most of the time a properly placed .22 short will dispatch any fur bearer you are going to catch in a trap. Treeing coon at night with dogs can be a different story. Bad angles, brush, poor lighting and wise old coon stretching out on a limb or tucking into a fork can make that job a little harder. :way:

Nice job - coyotes are always neat to catch, although my dad and I rarely catch them. We focus on catching coon every year by snaring and our typical catch - running over about 2-1/2 weeks of trapping - is ~200. We had 197 coon this year, with 10 fox, 3 badger, and a big flattail to boot. $27.50 avg for the fox and $13.25 avg for the coon. Good year.

$13.25 avg for coon, damn where you taking yours?

Caught and released another Bobcat today. It was a small female ,I took some video of the release but no luck uploading it.

How difficult is it to trap coyotes? I have a ton around my place. What is the procedure? I suppose I should check out YouTube for that.

Caught and released another Bobcat today. It was a small female ,I took some video of the release but no luck uploading it.

Man! You are in them deep Murph! :way: I talked to a buyer last night and am in the process of thawing out my coon as we speak. He says good batches are bringing around $13 which is about a dollar more than we averaged last year. I think we have around 40 nice coon so we'll see. :drink2:

Loneranger in my humble opinion coyotes are harder to trap than any thing else. two most important items are location and good trap bedding. I wish I could keep the bobcats out of my coyote sets.
Skully I have been selling on the carcess for $1o across the board so I'm happy with that since I don't have any driving involved in running my line

Just the same. I'd like to know how it's done. I bet it gets more successful as food sources are harder to find,,like Jan and Feb...

Top Bottom